Rats! Clear Sign that the B787 May Still be Grounded in Q3

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by NYCUA1K, Apr 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had booked a trip for late June/early July to KIX, but took this contorted itinerary only for a chance to fly on the 'Dreamliner'...twice:

1. JFK- B757-200 -> LAX - B787-8 -> PVG on UA; PVG-> KIX, RDM on ANA.
    2. Bullet train: KIX -> NRT
    3. NRT - B787-8 -> LAX - B757-200 -JFK

Upgrades for every segment had cleared at or within days of booking, so I was all set...that was before the B787 got grounded. Now, I just checked this reservation and the metal for the TPAC segments has been changed from the B787-8 to a B777-200 (click image to enlarge).

B787-BUMMER.png

Has anyone else noticed whether the metal for their reservations that had B787 segments has also been changed? Providing the travel date and the itinerary could indicate how long Boeing/UA are projecting the B787 to remain grounded, as well as whether they are changing the metal only for long-haul flights but not for domestic or relatively short flights

This is a clear sign that Boeing and UA do not think that this bird would be doing any long distance flying before at least early July. My contorted itinerary to include the 'Dreamliner' may have been for nothing and what a bummer!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 787 is still on the schedule for June on the DEN-NRT route. But until they have the planes retrofit and run through some proving tests they are limiting the schedule of them. Prudent, really.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, shorter flights are likely to resume first to make sure that the Li-ion battery fix works. As disappointing as it may be, I agree. It is indeed prudent and that is how I would have phased in the resumption of flights for this plane.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    DEN-NRT is longer than LAX-NRT. ;)

I think it is more about keeping the other flights which will operate no matter what on the schedule and stable. Thy can swap in the 787s if they are reliable enough but it is more of a pain to the customers to be changing them every couple weeks, particularly without any real sense of timeline on the approval from the FAA or the retrofit requirements from Boeing.

Given that this is costing them millions of dollars I have no doubt they're paying VERY close attention to the details and doing what they can to both keep the schedule solid and to get the planes back ASAP.

5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clearly. I saw only DEN and figured it was domestic because I have never left the country via DEN :). So, it is a puzzle as to why my metal was changed (might help if we got more data points). However, it makes me also hope that the metal change may be one way for UA to get some predictability in an unpredictable situation and that by end of Q2, we may see yet another change...back to the Dreamliner, which I would not hesitate to board.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given that the 787 is smaller than the 777, are they selling those flights in NYCUA1K's example up to 787 capacity or beyond? If they sell significantly more seats than they have on the 787, especially in premium cabins, it might be difficult to switch back later. Also do they sell Global F or are these two-cabin 777s?

7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    They switched to a 3-cabin 777-200 (Int'l V1 or V2) both ways, with 8 GF, 40 BF, 110 E+ and 108 E, whereas the B787-8 is a 2-cabin with 36 BF, 70 E+ and 113 E. The E+ and E on the B777 are grayed out for me but the front cabins are still practically empty, so that they have the ability to control capacity for a trip that is still more than two and half months off.

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    United.com is happy to sell me Global First on your UA877 on June 28.

9. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, sure, because the plane does not exist ;)

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Huh? Your screenshot shows a 777-200 for UA877 on June 28. And united.com is willing to sell me a Global First ticket on that flight. If they were to switch back to the 787, what would they do with me?

11. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was totally confused. I assumed a typo as 877could have been 787 jumbled, but the UA in front should have told me it was a flight number... Frankly, I thought you were making a joke about getting a flight on the 787 but simply mistyped as 877...:D. Notice that I'd said there's no such plane...

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ah, got it.

In any case... if this story is right, you're riding on the 777-200:

http://airlineroute.net/2013/04/07/ua-787-jun13/

"Despite these changes, UNITED will further delay planned Dreamliner service to Tokyo (from Los Angeles), Shanghai and Lagos, until August 2013."

NYCUA1K likes this.
  13. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like I said, rats! However, I plan to make PVG, rather than HKG, my "home base" for my upcoming annual year-end Asian vacation, so that I will have another shot at the Dreamliner in December '13 (outbound) and Jan '14 (inbound).

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I had a domestic red-eye in E+ on the Dreamliner back in December, so I am not in any major rush to fly it again for novelty sake. Given what I have booked so far for the next 8 months, I suspect it will be another year before I have a chance to fly it internationally.

15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just toyed with the idea of rebooking my trip to KIX by flying LGA-DEN-NRT and back and redeeming to fly NRT-KIX. A more direct flight, which if cheaper than my initial reservation, it could be justified. I searched and found availability for the dates that I wanted, with B787 segments:

B787-DEN-NRT.png

The problem is that this more direct itinerary (same fare class, W), would cost $2,368, whereas my original flight thru PVG cost $1,773. Cannot justify changing and incurring the change fee and the large fee difference, in addition to entering the upgrades lottery again. The B777 now looks like a great option in comparison. There, I got the B787 out of my system. :D

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the 787 lottery (will it fly?). You made the right choice, IMO.

17. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    thumbs-up2.jpg

kyunbit likes this.
  18. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had this happen two months ago, LAX-NRT right after the grounding. The direct impact of the equipment sub from 788 to 772 relatively close to departure was that my waitlisted GPU cleared immediately. So it's not all bad.

I will say, the 787 is a great ride. I flew the NH machine in Y from SEA to NRT and it was the best regular Y-cabin experience of all time. And believe me, unlike our buddy jbcarioca, I know all about the Y cabins :)

19. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back on the B787 lotto! A meeting in SIN for Nov 16-18 was just brought to my attention and I could not resist. The choices were either to do my usual B-day routine and go to HNL or attend this meeting in SIN and call it a business trip for which I would be reimbursed but combine it with my annual B-day travel by extending the stay in SIN. Before deciding, I thought I'd first find out how much it would cost to purchase a W fare for SIN. I found:

Outbound: JFK - p.s.-> LAX - B787-> NRT - B777-200 -> SIN (11,254 PQM)
    Inbound: SIN - B777-200 -> NRT - B787 -> LAX -p.s. -> JFK (11,254 PQM)

Price tag: $1,916.30 -- a bit on the high side. Then I remembered that I had a $300 VDB voucher that I had gotten for a rare good deed on p.s. that did not get punished! Applying the $300 voucher, which is to expire in October, dropped the cost of the W fare to a level that I felt more comfortable paying: $1,616.30. I just booked the trip to SIN, requested upgrades with a couple of GPUs and 3 of 6 segments (shown in blue) cleared instantly. The premium cabins for the other 3 segments are still unoccupied so I like my chances to clear the remaining UGs by departure date. The associated 22.5K PQMs will get me close to 112K PQMs for the year (close enough to be tempted to get to 125K for 2 more RPUs). The only question is whether the B787 will behave or act up again by November....;)

20. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool!
    That is my upgrade to BF on the B787 'Dreamliner' flight in November from LAX to NRT in the preceding post, making it 4 UGs in the bag, 2 to go on this trip, which is still 5 months off...:)

mtlfire and desamo like this.