Rational Explanation for Weird Upgrade Timing?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by jomolungma, Jan 6, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jomolungma

jomolungma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought I had the Delta upgrade algorithm pretty well figured out when something weird happened to me today that I was hoping someone could explain.

I'm a Gold level SkyMiles member. I reserved an Economy (Y) round-trip from DCA to SLC a few weeks ago. Outbound is this Sunday night, return is following Friday morning. The flight was ticketed yesterday (Thursday) morning and I immediately received an email from Delta saying my return flight was upgraded. However, the Sunday outbound flight was not. Then, this morning (Friday), I receive a second email saying that my outbound flight was upgraded.

Does anyone know why the flights were upgraded on different days, especially the next Friday flight being upgraded first? Outside of an upgraded traveler on the outbound flight canceling sometime yesterday and opening up another first class seat, I can't think of a reason. This is more out of curiosity than anything - not sure how I could use it to my advantage in the future - but I would like to know. Thanks!

Stu

2. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had it happen as a PM. My best guess is that they release more seats because they do not think they can sell them.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you really had a full Y fare, and not just some discount fare for a coach seat, you can be upgraded any time after ticketing if upgrade space is available. It sounds like you indeed had a full Y ticket, or perhaps the government YCA fare, and thus were upgraded in the return almost immediately. For the outbound, probably upgrade inventory was not available. However, it could be that the outbound was ticketed at a lower fare class and you were upgraded at your window or when upgrade space became available after your window as DL runs sweeps almost continuously. DL tends to send emails much after the upgrade was processed, so it's confusing and hard to tell exactly when the upgrades occurred.

USAF_Pride likes this.