Rate Mileage Plan

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Susan, Feb 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Susan

Susan Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    InsideFlyer magazine is reviewing Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan in our April issue and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of membership in Mileage Plan and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade). You can include a plus or minus with the rating.

You can also respond directly to the editors at InsideFlyer at sfleming@insideflyer.com if you would prefer.

Thank you.

gleff likes this.
  2. fishy

fishy Active Member

Status Points:
    pros: Large partner network covered all the continents on the planet (except Africa but EK have some coverage there); Elite members have good benefits on AS metal, and some benefits on DL/AA metal; Reasonable mileage redemption rate.

cons: Elite members have no benefits on other partners; No multi-partner redemption.

I don't know how would I grade it, maybe B?

3. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    The thing I don't like about it is having to look at not only the fare class when you book on partners, but also the flight number. Not really a huge deal, but a pain and somewhat cumbersome, nonetheless.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Mileage Plan Customer Service team. They believe in quick turnaround times and making their customers feel satisfied with their airline. So I would give them an A.

5. Susan

Susan Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    Can you give us your rating for the program (A to F), so that we can include your input in our review?

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd probably give it an A-. Aside from what I mentioned above, everything else about it is great.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Now that they've added one-way awards, an increasing stable of partners, online redemption on most partners, and full elite qualifying mileage earning on partners they've really amped up their game.

They're a good airline with good partnerships, they're the best place for a non-elite Delta flyer to credit Delta flights (and occasional American flyers to credit AA flights).

They treat their elites well, especially with change fee waivers, and their lounge network provides access to partner lounges.

I'd have to give them a B+. The only reason I don't give them an A is because upgrades are limited to their own flights, and that means frequent flyers can't access the same international upgrades that United's and American's top tier elites can.

LETTERBOY likes this.