Rate IHG Rewards Club

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Lynda, Jan 13, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    InsideFlyer magazine is reviewing IHG Rewards Club in our March 2014 issue and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of membership in IHG Rewards Club and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade). You can include a plus or minus with the rating.

You can also respond directly to the editors at InsideFlyer at lynda@insideflyer.com if you would prefer.

Thank you! You can see the completed review at InsideFlyer.com in March.

uggboy likes this.
  2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Elite benefits are very weak, there's not a promised suite, club lounge, or even breakfast benefit. Terms and conditions of the program don't require most benefits to be offered on award stays. (Of course many programs treat elites well and even on award stays).

Program is great for earning, though largely because of the ability to stack lots of promotions on top of each other. Cash and points is good. Availability is good.

Redemption options are limited -- there's no ability to spend additional points to confirm a better-than-standard room, either on paid or award stays.

C+

uggboy and LETTERBOY like this.
  3. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A+
    IHG is my favorite program. Easily stackable promotions, great customer service, awesome BRG & great coverage around the world. Yes, their elite benefits aren't awesome, but they are getting better...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say B-. Elite perks are weak and getting worse. The redemption opportunities for free nights is good most of the time but there are some limits on what kind of room you can get on points at some properties. They do have good promotions. I'd say this program is good but if devalued it would go bad in a hurry.

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    *if* devalued? intercontinental redemptions used to top out at 30k, they went to 50k a couple of years ago. this program has not been immune to devaluation..

LETTERBOY and B1BomberVB like this.
  6. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh-so-true, Gleff! Back then, all IC's & only IC's cost 30K points. Crowne Plazas, Sun Spree Resorts, & HI's in aspirational destinations were 25K. Now some run-of-the mill HIX's in suburbs of tourist towns can cost 35K :eek: :td: !
    Before the devaluation of Jan. 2013, I would have given them A-. Now B-, but without the Big Win, probably C+

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I should actually caveat my claim that the top IC was 30k ... the all-inclusives had a 10k supplement so were 40k.