Rate Hyatt Gold Passport

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by Darcie, Mar 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Darcie
    Original Member

Darcie Silver Member

Status Points:
    We are going to review Hyatt Gold Passport in the May issue of InsideFlyer magazine and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of membership in Gold Passport and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade). You can include a plus or minus with the rating.

You can also respond directly to me at dmankell@insideflyer.com.
    Thank you!

flyingdawg likes this.
  2. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A+

Pros:
    Free breakfast for diamonds
    4 free confirmed upgrades for diamonds
    Excellent customer service
    Faster free nights promos
    Steady diet of high value promos
    Cons:
    Bonus points don't post consistenly to account
    Limited property selection for accuring points in the US
    Limited property selection for redeeming points in US
    No point conversion to airlines (a la SPG)

3. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Their top tier is the most rewarding among major programs.
    * Diamonds get confirmed suite upgrades four times per year, no hoping at checkin.
    * Breakfast benefit, which at some properties is incredibly generous.
    * Late checkout is a good benefit, albeit not as strong as Starwood's.
    * They were the first with free internet for elites, and it's for all elites.
    I'd give their Elite program an A-.

Their points redemption program is excellent.
    * They followed Starwood and delivered on no capacity controls for standard rooms on awards.
    * Like Starwood, they have the option of better rooms for additional points
    * Plenty of interesting airline mileage transfer partners (though a somewhat lower value in such transfers than Starwood).
    I'd given their redemption program a B+.

Bonuses, bonuses, bonuses. They were absolutely outstanding through part of 2010. The recent variants of Faster Free Nights were incredible deals. Add in the property-specific "G bonuses" and bonuses for closed club lounges and elite bonuses and they were insanely generous. I'd say up until 9 months ago, Hyatt deserved an A++. They've scaled back a lot more recently, down to a solid B.

Overall I'd say the program is B+.

It's my current favorite, along with the Intercontinental Royal Ambassador program, ahead of Starwood and legions above Marriott and Hilton.

4. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would say a solid B.

Pros:
    • Confirmable suite upgrades. This is a huge plus as it always seems with other programs (I'm looking at you SPG) that I get upgraded to a suite when I'm in the hotel from 8PM to 7AM each day on a business trip and not upgraded when I would actually like to have a suite on vacation.
    • Good earn rate with bonus points and promos.
    • Loyalty credit card with no forex fees.
    • A growing number of luxury and boutique hotels (Parks and Andaz) for leisure trips.

Cons:
    • Limited reach. There are still too many places I need to be for business or want to be for leisure that don't have Hyatt options. This makes it impossible for HGP to be my only program.
    • Hyatt Places are inferior to the other options in their class (Aloft, Element, or Hilton Garden Inn), making it hard to commit stays to Hyatt in locations without a full-service hotel.
    • Too many locations where the only Hyatt is a larger convention hotel. This is fine for business, but I'd rather not have to fight with tons of convention-goers on a weekend leisure stay.

5. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I’ve really enjoyed the Hyatt program the past few years, their aggressive FFN promotions is what first attracted me to Hyatt and have made me stay a Diamond Member with them.

I’ve found that some of the items that I viewed as pros have cons attached to them.

I'd rate the Hyatt program a A-

Pros:
    Free breakfast for diamonds
    4 free confirmed upgrades for diamonds
    Excellent customer service
    Faster free nights promos in the past

Free internet for elites
    High value promos in the past

I’ve found it easy to make award reservations with the FFN’s or traditional award nights
    Loyalty credit card with zero forex fees is now my go to card when I travel internationally

Cons:
    Can only use suite upgrades on revenue stays and the upgrades are not always available on revenue stays, I’ve had trouble using them.
    Bonus points don't post consistently to account
    Lack of FFN promos
    While the Loyalty credit card had an initial nice offering of two free rooms, there is no ongoing benefit (SPG Amex offers a couple free nights credit towards status each year, Priority Club card offers a free night each year)
    Limited property selection

6. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Following the pattern, many of my pros and cons have already been posted

Pros:

Excellent customer service [IMO the best benefit]
    Free breakfast for Diamonds
    Fantastic concierge service at the Park Hyatt hotels
    4 free confirmed upgrades for Diamonds
    Faster free nights promos

Cons:

Bonus points, many times any and/or all points, don't post consistenly to account

Cold only breakfast at Hyatt Place for Diamonds
    Removing "free" alcohol from the few lounges that had it and making lame excuses for the reasons why

7. Explore
    Original Member

Explore Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the past year my rating has declined from an A to a B.

This is due to a complete about-face on promotions, and thus reward night potential.

The following promotions from last year have either been cancelled or deferred indefinitely:
    • Property-specific G bonuses (in place consistently for at least a decade)
    • Free night promotions
    • Discount on Hyatt Check Certificates
    • Stays count double
    • Promotions associated with the new Chase Hyatt credit card
    There is nothing in place for March, and a relatively unrewarding promo in the second quarter. Meanwhile, qualifying rates are much higher than they were last year, while properties offer the same rooms to Priceline for one-quarter to one-half as much. New North American properties have been overwhelmingly the Hyatt Place brand, which provides virtually no benefit to Diamond members - not even a limited free hot breakfast, unlike Hilton Garden Inn.

Last year Hyatt raised redemption requirements, and does not offer a "points and cash" option like SPG and IHG.

Yes, elite treatment remains strong at full-service Hyatts and at customer service. Club lounges and free breakfast beat out the competition. The limited suite upgrade benefit is a little overrated because it's valid only on paid stays.

8. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Concur with most but not all of this review. Agree with the downgrade...last year Hyatt was about as close to an A+ as you could get. This year a solid B, but showing signs perhaps of slipping even more (and worrisome given the new airline mentality now in charge of promotions).

The second quarter promo imho is better than currently known promotions for the other major chains, but if in fairness you compare it to last year...this 2Q promo would be basically a 1000 point/promo on top of an existing G1 bonus. That being said, it is still better than what else is out there.

To me, Hyatt's number 1 distinguishing mark is confirmed suite upgrades at booking. None of the song/dance routine common with Starwood. You can book a Garden View as a Diamond....and get confirmed Regency Club rooms (typically ocean view if not front) at resorts. Number 2 would be the hot FULL breakfast at Regencys' without Clubs for Diamonds.

The number 1 drawback - the website.

9. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    at least it isn't as bad as Hilton.com, whoa!

Kaanapali likes this.
  10. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good point......and I used to think you had to try to be worse than Hyatt......whoa is right!

11. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm giving it a B for now, but the program seems to be in a state of transition at the moment and we have no idea what is going to emerge at the other end. It might be better, the same or much worse.

The no-notice cancellation of all G1/G2/G3 bonuses and the lack of any real usable bonuses in March (all current bonuses are based on "Hyatt Daily Rate", which is basically their version of rack rate, excludes corp, AAA, or any other rate, which used to be known as "eligible rates") and the note that Ric posted about the changes are the evidence. I can't remember a time when there were no G1/G2/G3 bonus.

Hotel programs throttle their value proposition by the bonuses they offer. If they don't offer bonuses, base point earning relative to what it takes to earn a free night is not very good. I'm concerned that Hyatt's new model for promotions will kill the value proposition for those of us that accumulate points for free nights.

-David