Rate Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by Darcie, Mar 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Darcie
    Original Member

Darcie Silver Member

Status Points:
    InsideFlyer magazine is reviewing Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan in our May issue and would like your input.

If you would like to participate, please post your response in the thread with the pros and cons of membership in Mileage Plan and grade the program from A to F (A being the highest grade). You can include a plus or minus with the rating.

You can also respond directly to the editors at InsideFlyer at dmankell@insideflyer.com if you would prefer.

Thank you.

2. ranman1973

ranman1973 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lately it seems like there has been reward point inflation. I can't seem to find the deals for 12,500 points that I used to, and when I do, they have really bad connections. What I'm looking for most, and what I dislike the most, is that I can't find many low priced reward flight anymore. As a guy who has a family of 5, this is a huge hit to us.

What I like about the program is that it's easy to accumulate points if you have a credit card that earns miles. I also like the online system that allows me to browse and find flights using reward miles.

Overall rating: B- and slipping. Used to be an A+ about 7 years ago and has slipped a lot since then.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    A-

Positives:

Ability to earn miles and status on Alaska by flying on Alaska, Delta and American, making it a fantastic catch-all for fliers utilizing at least two of these networks. Also, ability to credit AS flights to AA or DL if you prefer, often via code share.

Ability to redeem miles across multiple airlines, including AS, AA and DL.

Status perks between Delta and AS, recognizing each others elites for priority seats, security, bags and upgrades.

PriorityPass Select acceptance at Boardrooms. Fantastic Benny for Amex Play holders (and others).

Consistent service levels - always knowing what to expect, and delivering professionally.

Free beer on Horizon. :)

Cons:

Small route network for AS directly. Specifically, taking the "nerd bird" route from AA then ceding it to WN, leaving no AUS-SJC nonstop flight.

Tougher to find award redemption recently, but this is likely due to increased competition from more fliers and credit card earners.

Can take a long time for miles to post, especially on partner airline flights.

Ugly cornhusk gold FF card. :)

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

4. mhnadel
    Original Member

mhnadel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Biggest plus is a non-alliance based list of partners, allowing a wide range of earning and redemption options. For example, they are only US based partner of Icelandair.

I've found award availability to be excellent, but I admit that I am typically looking for somewhat unusual routings (e.g. AF to West Africa).

Another plus is some of the most helpful customer service around.

Biggest minus is inability to mix partners on an award routing.

Overall, I'd give them an A-.