RA's: What did you do with your RA referral certificate?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by no-backpacker, Apr 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. no-backpacker
    Original Member

no-backpacker Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like I don't need my referral certificate. In fact, it is not mine, I did another FT'er a favour and changed it with his, but anyway, I still have a referral certificate...:) However *IF* I get problems with requalifying, I can use the referral certificate from my new friend.

If I don't need the referral certifiacte I am pondering on what to do with it and I am curious to hear what others have done. I have been thinking of giving it to my husband, but he is not an Ambassador and we usually travel together, so not sure if we really need two RA's. I have also been thinking of giving it to my son, not an Ambassador and only 16. Don't think he will use it as we usually travel together. The rest of my family are not travelling that much and never stays at IC's, not my friends either. (Besides, I am not sure if I want to be their private RA guide... I don't mind shareing, but what if something goes wrong, they don't get what they expect to get etc....)

What do you all do with your certs (haha, not sure if it will be helpful for me to know, but I am still curious... :))

Xxx.

2. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm giving mine to a coworker. In hopes that if i ever need one they will return the favor.

People sell them on Ebay looks like this week going price is $485 USD

3. pjoalfa
    Original Member

pjoalfa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen 'em up to $750 on eBay.
    You could also trade it for miles or SWUs on another forum?

4. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For a strange reason I wouldn't sell it at e-bay. I could trade it yes, but I really don't know what to ask for as I don't want to have points (don't want to have them on anothers account as it sounds too complicated for me...:)), I don't need any more free weekend certs. and I only fly KLM and occationally SAS. I really don't know if I have anything to ask for within KLM or SAS...

Maybe I'll end up with giving one to each of my brothers (I will have the one I already have and get a new one when I requalify) and they might start staying at IC's. :) Although I know they would never choose IC over another hotel just for some "perks" and points....:)

Xxx.

5. no-backpacker
    Original Member

Status Points:
    PS. Maybe a silly question, but what is SWU?

Xxx.

6. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe this is silly as well but what is RA? I assume IC is Intercontinental?

7. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Royal Ambassador, The highest level of status with Intercontinental hotels.

ROYAL AMBASSADOR MEMBERSHIP

How do I achieve Royal Ambassador status?

Royal Ambassador status is extended by invitation only to a small percentage of InterContinental Ambassador guests, based on the number of nights they have stayed during the past year.

8. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    SWU = System Wide Upgrade I believe....

9. slice19
    Original Member

slice19 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for answering, I figured it out moments after I typed my question and then somehow could not refind this thread quick enough to make correct myself. :)

10. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Current bid on Ebay is around 600 dollars. My last referral I gave to my cousin, and I just requalified and I'm seriously thinking of trading or selling, since the IHG groups allows you to do that!!!

11. AdamRx
    Original Member

AdamRx Silver Member

Status Points:
    What did you end of doing with your RA referral cert?

12. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    can you elaborate on the bolding? I'd be curious why you feel IHG groups allow this as I have an RA Referral cert and fine print states: not for barter or resale.