Rapid transit link from Toronto to YYZ finally under construction

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Nov 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Air-rail link to boost travel – and 'wow' factor
    [from The Globe and Mail]
    Line between Pearson airport and Union Station will ease traffic congestion and help Toronto's international reputation

If you've been around Pearson airport recently, you might have noticed a string of concrete pillars rising from the ground among the web of highways and exit ramps. Another flyover to bring more cars into the airport? In fact, this project is designed to do quite the opposite.
    The pillars will support a rail line connecting the airport to the GO corridor and from there to Union Station, allowing many travellers to leave their cars at home and get directly to and from Canada's busiest airport. Metrolinx, the provincial transit agency that is quarterbacking the $456-million air-rail link, estimates it will result in 1.2 million fewer car trips a year, reducing pollution and traffic congestion.erty Village, but Metrolinx wisely said no. That would turn the line into a milk run, defeating the purpose of fast, reliable service to the airport.

MORE ...

2. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    How sad... being one of the most $$$ airport and all taxpaper paying the bill
    and I doubt fare will be competitive enough (vs $15 bus or $3 TTC 192), but still want to see it happening

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  3. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Airport Express is $26.95 OW ($40 RT). Taxi would be $55 OW. Both are not very competitive in pricing, so while it would be great to see it around $15, sadly, the rail will be in upper range of the price.

YULtide likes this.
  4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm betting on $25-30 one way, maybe $45-50 return. It'd be quicker (and hopefully nicer) than the bus, there is no need to try be the cheapest.

Heathrow Express is about $27, Narita Express about $40 (though that one is definitely longer).

Randy Petersen and canucklehead like this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    And YVR is $6.50 IIRC?

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you can get from the city to YVR for the regular SkyTrain fare, but leaving the airport you pay the surcharge which is $3 or $4 more.

I did a survey a year or so ago and they were seeming to test around the $15 mark. However, I am skeptical about its success at anything more than $5 for a variety of reasons:

1. How convenient is it for most travellers to go into the city centre to get back to the district they're heading to? While there are tens of thousands of us living in the city centre, is that enough to generate the traffic needed? Will they throw in a free transfer to the TTC subway to get to other parts of the city?
    2. Does Toronto have the volume of tourists visiting and staying city centre to cover operating costs (capital will never be repaid)?

I might consider the train on my return, but as it is the 192/subway/King streetcar do me fine, usually an hour and just a $2.75 token.

Golden Toque and TRAVELSIG like this.
  7. Golden Toque

Golden Toque Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is in those other markets, there are no cheaper alternatives, and driving is costly... Is the idea to have a congestion reducing, cost effective, family accessible route to YYZ? If so, it can't be a $40-$50 round trip.

8. No rapid transit "express" route is cheaper than mass transit anywhere I've been. I go to LHR frequently and you have two rail choices. A local underground line that takes you into central London for about 3 pounds and 45 minutes or the Heathrow Express at give or take 15 quid and 15 minutes. Again though, like the greater YYZ area the outer suburbs are not serviced with those choices. Mississauga, Burlington and Oakville in effect have no public transit to YYZ w/o multiple changes and a long long ride. I could see where Metrolinx would consider expanding the line from Union via YYZ to say the Square One area in Mississauga.

9. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to put things in perspective not only are you citing two of the most expensive cities in the world, but distance and typical travel time are significantly longer - especially getting to Tokyo.

10. The Lev
    Original Member

The Lev Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just hope that this new train doesn't result in the cancelation or significant service reduction to the 192. I believe they will cater two two different markets.

11. My point about LHR was just that. There are two choices for public transportation with much different pricing.
    In fact they should also be considering a western expansion of one of the subway lines to YYZ.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    More than two- there is also the bus, minicab etc.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You don't need to go all the way to the Union station, though; as I understand it, you would be able to transfer to GO or to the Bloor subway line. Or take a taxi for the last part.

There are a lot of people who are willing to pay a premium for faster service, whether NEXUS, priority check-in or airport transit. Not everyone, though, clearly. Personally, I pay for Heathrow Express and Narita Express as a rule, rather than taking the much cheaper (but much slower) tube/train option.

14. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not in Toronto...

15. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Havent been to YVR for a while.... but a few years back you can do the Skytrain from YVR to downtown for a regular transit fare of $2+. All you had to do was go downstairs to the convenience store and buy a 10 ride pack.

i remember the pain when my parents took me on the KIX local train to town!

btw did u know that between NRT-Shinjuku by connecting the Narita Express to the Chuo line at Tokyo Station can save u up to 5-7 minutes? As opposed to taking Narita Express via Shibuya

YULtide likes this.
  16. Wageslave

Wageslave Active Member

Status Points:
    That still leaves many of us in the north east of the city in the cold and without a viable option to get to the airport without driving. If they want riders from somewhere other than downtown or near the Bloor line, they will have to make quite a few changes.

17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Usually I'm staying in Shinagawa, so the route is pretty direct. Asakusa line takes me to the airport from the office, but it's a loooong ride, and in a regular commuter train.

Quite true. Ideally there would be a subway (Sheppard Line?) to connect with, but hopefully this will just be the first step.

18. global_happy_traveller
    Original Member

global_happy_traveller Silver Member

Status Points:
    only works with Shinjuku because Tokyo-Shibuya-Shinjuku goes in a circle while Chuo cuts straight.....

as for NE of the city....... i find it most efficient to take one of those flat rate cab

YULtide likes this.