Rapid Rewards Program a Scam

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by RestlessLocationSyndrome, Aug 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Southwest is scamming their customers when trying to book an award ticket with Southwest Rapid Rewards Points. It quotes a price on the website search and then after you go to select the flights, it gives you the message: "Oops! We are unable to secure the flight you selected."

It then proceeds to give you highly inflated options instead. The flight I wanted (LAX to SLC 9/2 - 9/4) was 5340 pts each way. After selecting the flight schedule that I wanted, it gave the above error message and then shows me that my option for the EXACT SAME FLIGHTS are now..... 10,020 pts EACH WAY!!! :mad:

I think this is a total bait and switch by Southwest claiming that their Rapid Rewards program allows any seat to be redeemable at the 3 different price levels (Business Select, Anytime and Wanna Get Away). Instead, what they are doing is setting a minimum amount that they want to obtain from you in points regardless of what they are selling the tickets for.

The only time when it won't inflate the price is when the number of points on the route is higher than the minimum amount that they are trying to obtain. I tried this for several different other routes during peak and not peak periods through the end of the year all with the same result when selecting Wanna Get Away point costs. Maybe this is why Southwest is so eager to sell their points to all the different hotel programs like Hyatt and Starwood.

Anyone else seeing these same issues when trying to book travel with RR points?

2. cordray2643
    Original Member

cordray2643 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have booked at least 3 flights with points under the new program and never had this issue. I just did the search that you referred and found the same thing. I am guessing that it is a glitch. I would call and get them to do it over the phone or wait a day or two and try again online. They have always been very helpful when I call in and there is a website problem. They have really been struggling with the website portion of RR 2.0!

jmrich1432 likes this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is this really a website problem? The website is clearly pricing awards that are more in demand and thus higher in the amount of award points required without this bump in points. Look at LAX-PHX 10/7-10/9. Anything under 5339 pts on the outbound or 5340 pts return will require these points.... anything over these Southwest imposed minimums will book as normal.

This is NOT random. This is based upon business rules that Southwest has implemented somewhere into their system. If this is a glitch, then why does it default and offer a higher price for the exact same itinerary and call it the "New Price"? It should default to say that you need to contact customer service to book the flight and not provide the higher price as an option. Instead, it is providing an option that could cheat many unknowing customers out of thousands of points... and that's assuming that this is a mistake.

4. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like WN may have hired some DL IT people to work on their award calendar!! Because we all know that DL has the best website out there (just ask them)!!

5. This is a known problem with the Southwest website and/or the booking engine. I myself have had it both work and not work depending on the circumstances. If you call the SW customer service line with the details (good luck getting through!) they will book the flight for you using the advertised # of points. Be aware, however, that if you have SW book the flight for you you will be unable to change or cancel it online.

6. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :eek: