Rapid Rewards 2.0

Discussion in 'Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (w/ AirTran)' started by fireworks!, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. So, this looks like as good a place as any to discuss the new Rapid Rewards program going into effect shortly. Most of my points are earned via rental car partners so I've got to hope there are some good promotions in the pipeline otherwise SW doesn't really present me with good earning options. Of course, if the promos are there, it will. I know that's just one small facet for the changes so let the discussions begin!
    http://www.southwest.com/newRR/homeFlash.do

aitchly likes this.
  2. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like this discussion thread. (I just created a rules thread.) Hopefully they will start posting deals so we can position ourselves appropriately for the March 1 switch!

3. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    RR 2.0 is DOA for us. There is not much else to say.

WN is still a great airline if all you want is transportation from A to B & could care less about the rewards program.

2soonold likes this.
  4. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or if you have an extra 110k to spend on the credit card [​IMG] . . . the companion pass is quite a feature for a frequent hopper, especially with a need to get to gateway cities to fly on one airline (one world partners) for other reward travel.

5. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    quick question about about the SW RR credit card. Should I cancel, and hope that when the program goes live there will be a better signup bonus??? (currently is 16 credits and $500 in gift cards)

6. MikeMpls
    Original Member

MikeMpls Gold Member

Status Points:
    I currently have a CP, but with the advent of RR 2.0, we will focus on *A. There is little point in crediting to RR anymore.

7. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not a RR 1.[​IMG] member (one or two flights max a year meant my points expired long before I could ever redeem anything). From what I see in 2.0, members can redeem for low fare rewards at a pretty good rate. 6000 points are earned after $600 in spendng on WN tix. If you're buying $29 tickets you'll need 10 round trips to earn that. Most tickets are more expensive than $29, though. At the bottom end it would seem that the new program offers better redemption value than the old one. Clearly, I am missing something... I've not looked at all of the details. What am I missing?

8. Steve

Steve Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just wish they'd start rolling out the partner promo's effective after 3/1; hard to plan travel arrangements ahead without that info :(

2soonold, aitchly and fireworks! like this.
  9. briadavi
    Original Member

briadavi Active Member

Status Points:
    My WN spending was already on the decrease due to unusually high fares, but RR 2.0 really put the nail in the coffin. From BNA, I only expect to use them for MDW travel going forward.

10. What Steve said.^

11. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    What fireworks said steve said.^

12. chemist562
    Original Member

chemist562 In Memorian

Status Points:
    On the few occasions I flew SWA, it is on really cheap tickets. (a few years ago--$15ow LAX-CHM & $30 LAX-DTW DING fares :)). Won't do much, if any with RR2.0 since it will take alot for us to get there due to it being revenue based.

13. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you're missing is that for coast-to-coast trips the 16 credit voucher was usually better. From WAS west coast trips are pricey. $320 won't cover it.

I just got the pers and biz 16/500 cards and was told activating one today I'll definitely get 19,200 points each, not the 16 credit RT voucher advertised. I'm a little upset and may complain to ask for the promised voucher instead.

Xyzzy and RedM3Pilot like this.
  14. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Call and ask for the closing date to be moved to 2/25. This should get the credits into the system before 3/1, thus giving you the voucher.

15. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard rewards on vouchers are getting hard on WN. Are wanna-get-away fares easier to get? Are 19,200 points redeemable for $320 of fares? Thanks.

16. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks f:)r the explanation.

17. polar_bear
    Original Member

polar_bear Active Member

Status Points:
    WGA fares are easier then booking a standard award but the standard awards aren't usually too bad if you have some flexibility.

19,200 points will cover $320 of WGA fares. If you are looking for Anytime or Business Select it would be less ($192 and $160 respectively)

18. Sam Axe
    Original Member

Sam Axe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm one of the minority for whom RR2 will be a net benefit. I change enough WGAs to Anytime or Business Select when I travel for work that my base earnings per work trip will be enough to offset the diminished earnings on 30/60/90 type fares. As a point of reference, my last work trip was a pretty common one and would have earned me 4485 points as an A-List member if it was in March. Add in the earning for A-List Preferred if I get close enough to make some segment runs to get there, and whatever form the double-credit bonuses are going to take in RR2, and on earning I'm net positive.

Meanwhile, the one-time extended CP period for the transition to calendar year qualifying made it worth my while to transfer in credits to earn one, and get 3 more RR1 rewards as well. A second year of CP travel is enough to outweigh some of the other issues such as not being able to change RR2 WGA awards at the last minute without paying the large upcharge to an Anytime award.

2soonold and RedM3Pilot like this.
  19. It is about a 50% cut in benefits for me. They still have the best cancellation policy so I will still fly them sometimes.

2soonold likes this.
  20. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think they promised a "voucher" did they? Just a "free round trip" flight.

21. Dr Rumack
    Original Member

Dr Rumack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got an email from WN today stating that the RR website will be down from Feb 27-Mar 1 for the cutover. So if you need to rescue any expired awards, best to do that before the 26th.

RedM3Pilot and aitchly like this.
  22. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just did mine, after paying the $50, it appeared almost instantaneously in my account from expired to current.

23. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    3 days!? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Surely, you can't be serious.

eponymous_coward and Dr Rumack like this.
  24. Dr Rumack
    Original Member

Dr Rumack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley. [​IMG]

eponymous_coward and RedM3Pilot like this.
  25. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe its only two days because it will be back up on the first.