RANT: and this is why I hate flyertalk!

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by hulagrrl210, Mar 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus/1192703-reaching-1k-year.html

ok, well maybe "hate" is a strong word, but this kinda struck a nerve for me. Young kid with 1K ambition and a bunch of people trying to shatter his dream.Typical example of why I think so many people are coming here to milepoint. So maybe I'm a bad influence for encouraging this guy, as some FTers have hinted, but really? Someone comes to the site asking for help/encouragement/direction/WHATEVER and this is how they get treated...??? VERY UNCOOL! :mad:

*end rant*

on a separate note...is there a different/more appropriate forum to post our FT grievances?

2. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The link does not work for me "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

Kaanapali and JALPak like this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    try again

4. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    still nuttin'

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love the advice from the moron's. "You're young", "there's plenty of time" blah blah blah. Good for you, go get what you want. theres worse things you can do with your money. I wish I was doing this back when I was in my early 20's.
    But let me ask, what is your motivation?

k2o, Chimpy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  8. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love how a connection was somehow made between mileage running and doing drugs? :rolleyes:

I first made 2P at a young age (13 maybe, I honestly don't remember) but I only started mileage running recently. I consider myself VERY lucky that I was brought up with the opportunity to travel as much as I did. I only wish I'd been a 1K back then...I'd still like to become a 1K!! It just bothers me that people are picking on this kid I guess. I think getting out and seeing the world is a good thing, and something that other young people can benefit and learn from. Ok, so maybe I shouldn't say "other" because I have more than a couple years on the OP over there, but I think what he is doing is great and wanted to encourage him. I also don't like hypocrites. How can anyone on flyertalk tell someone else not to fly?

Oh, also love the post about how he's not going to see any of the world but rather the world's airports. Typical FT wise-a$$ remark if you ask me

9. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also don't like how hard it is to post a link from that site here. I tried like 3 times! [​IMG] Thanks you guys for the help, lol

Chimpy likes this.
  10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    No offense to the OP here, but ...

I was part of another community that spawned another one, and the other one spent an inordinate amount of time posting and complaining about the first one. And this is real and I'm not talking about flyertalk/milepoint.

Do you have any idea how much that sucked and how petty and boring it got? There were all these posts like "look at what those idiots are doing now", etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. It basically helped ruin both communities.

I just hope that's not what milepoint is going to become.

And I actually agree with you, and I think a lot of us realize that too.

-David

ryandc99, doc and Primula like this.
  11. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The title could be modified to avoid using the F word.

Anyhow, I don't see how this thread gives reason to
    hate FT - it just is a distillation of the good and bad
    that we always knew was in there.

You'll note that the "nattering nabobs of negativism" -
    as caljr puts it (quoting that great philosopher Spiro
    T. Agnew out of context) are the usual suspects,
    including the rather active new troll, who I'm surprised
    hasn't been shut down; also that the helpful ones are
    also the usual suspects.

doc and higal like this.
  12. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do we have a Festivus thread for the Airing of Grievances?

Back on sort of topic: I wish I would have had the opportunity to travel as a high school kid. First TATL at 4. Second at 14. (both with my parents to visit relatives). Third at 30+. It makes for a lot of catching up if I want to see the world, ie, an aching back from flying AC on 4 TATLs so far this year - all on my dime. If the kid has the money, and I am sure the time, fly away.

k2o, Chimpy and kwai like this.
  13. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think we should invite the OP on FT to milepoint and tell him how much nicer it is here. :)

karung99, k2o, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  14. jb831
    Original Member

jb831 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Clicking on the URL doesn't seem to work. But if you copy & paste it into your web browser, it will take you to the thread. (Which is now a whopping 10 pages!).

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  15. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did that

Chimpy likes this.
  16. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No offense taken, seriously and I appreciate the feedback. If anything I hope that thread can be an example of what we don't want milepoint to become. If i simply wanted to b*tch about the other site, there is plenty more material over there that I could have chosen. That said, I think it is important if we want this site to be different that FT (better, perhaps) to be more supportive when someone asks a question. So if someone comes along asking how to be a 1K, tell them how, don't tell them not to do it or question their priorities!

LIH Prem, doc, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  17. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read parts of the thread, and it points up one of the shortcomings of many online fora (by no means only FT). While it is valuable and not especially difficult to give constructive criticism, or to point out factors that an OP many have hot have thought of, how one words such a (potentially) negative or contrarian response can make all the difference in the world.

Some responders can't be bothered to consider a different POV, some simply aren't able to see the point from the OP's perspective (put themselves in the OP's shoes), while another group are essentially snark trolls looking for an opening that allows them to do what they do worst.

Over my time on the 'Net, I've learned to simply keep silent if I can't grasp or understand the OP's thought process, or if I have nothing constructive to relate. The same thing goes for thread titles That's why I usually avoid threads that are titled "Best this or that" (best in what way?) or those that resemble "Going to city ABC, Have No Idea What To Do". My feeble mind simply can't wrap around the idea of picking a destination without having any idea why it is being picked. I'm not implying that those posters are inferior to me, just that their thought process is so unlike mine, whatever I might contribute would probably not even be considered by the OP - so I move along to the next thread without commenting.

doc likes this.
  18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I posted something early on in that thread (under a different ID) and walked away when it became absurd. The post you're referencing was rather ridiculous.

There is much more sanity on MP at the moment. But how long until we descend into the same petty scenarios?

Chimpy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  19. slotownmomma
    Original Member

slotownmomma Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't even read the post and I agree with you about some forums on FT. There are some helpful people but other are really arrogant and just down right mean. I guess that's just because there are nice people in the world and there are mean people. Just the way life is. I wish it weren't true.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  20. ahow628
    Original Member

ahow628 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Entertaining!

21. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    you consider newb trolls "flyertalkers" ? i only looked at the first 30 posts, but there was only one "negative" post from someone with 1999 join date and ~1000+ posts.

i dont know what happened, but flyertalk did suddenly get a lot of new people. (several times?) not fun.

22. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    careful... i'm one of those "newb trolls" [​IMG] aka longtime lurker [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  23. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think he should do whatever he wants, but IMO it seems a bit ridiculous. He says he wants to see the world, but you can't do that on a MR with 8 hours in Sydney.

Wurm likes this.
  24. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went back and read more of the posts on the FT thread. A couple of things come across - this is a kid who's pretty well off. Most of us probably have the idea that (hormones aside) a "typical" 16 year old thinks most about having a car and of paying for it (and for auto insurance). He might have no such monetary or material goods concerns.

Once we accept the idea that the basic material wants of a teen are already in hand, it might be easier to understand the "wanderlust" that the OP himself acknowledged. There's some merit to the posts concerning earning something like 1K as nothing more than a trophy, but again, how different is this than, say, a non-traveling fashonista teen who spends great sums on things like Birkin Bags and other designer/haute fashion items?

Another humorous thing is the posters who wail incessantly at the prospect of a 14 hour flight in Y. This is a teen - unless he is a prospective NBA player or a Haystack Calhoun look-alike, he will probably not have all that much trouble sitting in a Y seat. Unfussy eating is another typical hallmark of this age group (not to say that some teens don't have sophisticated palates - it's just that most teens that I see in public seem to be followers of Mr. Oreck or Mr. Hoover than of Wolfgang Puck or Thomas Keller). ;)

ahow628, doc, Flyer and 3 others like this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A turn-around flight to SYD could be very educational- if he hangs out around the galley and lavs, the places where pax naturally congregate, it's easy to start conversations. He'll meet people from all over the world with all different perspectives and experiences. It could be quite memorable. I did that on my first TATL flight, and I still remember some of the people from back then.

k2o, doc, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.