Random thoughts: do men fly more, and why don’t taxi drivers like credit cards…

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by lancexfang, Jul 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lancexfang
    Original Member

lancexfang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Unlike many people that can stay productive on an aircraft or sitting in a cab, I often times find my minds wandering into curious corners. Here are two recent thoughts that are sharable.

1. Do men fly more than women?

I don’t have any statistics to back it up. But somehow I’ve got the impression that I see more men than women flying. I would guess in the leisure market, the customer base should closely track the population, half of which is male and the other half female. That leaves us with the business travelers… So do men tend to have the kind of jobs that involves air travel more than women? I guess first of all, I don’t even know whether the premise is true or not – do men really fly more than women, or is it just my frustration that the few good looking female passengers never end up sitting by me? Never ever that is. Not that I would do anything, being happily loyally married…

2. Why don’t taxi drivers like credit cards?

I know there is processing fee, but more and more small businesses are accepting them, while many cab drivers are simply hostile about it. In LA they have the crazy system that the drivers would have to get an authorization code first, and it can take forever. In that case I guess I understand. Time spent idling means potential business opportunity lost, although I always try to make up for it by adding some extra tips. In Chicago it’s the old fashioned imprint thing and I don’t see as much objection. In Toronto some drivers simply say they can’t take credit cards and I don’t know better. In New York I never dare to try – plus there it’s usually $10 or $20 fares, and that kind of cash I usually do have. But come on, we are in the 21st century, the facebook century. Why can’t someone figure out an efficient electronic payment system for both the drivers and customers? I would think the drivers will like it in that less cash means less robbery risk…

savydog and goodandclassy like this.
  2. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why you don't dare - every taxi takes credit cards and it is a self-service system.

goodandclassy likes this.
  3. Bluto
    Original Member

Bluto Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a bit strange that they are so hostile. I have had some NYC cab drivers say that they get charged fees. Perhaps they are making so little after the car and fuel expenses, and the cost of the medallion, that every percentage haircut in credit card fees hurts.

Or, maybe they're somehow under-reporting income to the IRS.

goodandclassy and Grace like this.
  4. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was actually thinking about this last weekend as I observed my fellow passengers, particularly in F. I was absolutely in the minority.

Definitely the majority of elites are men, especially at the higher levels. Look at almost any domestic flight in F where UDU/EUA or similar is in effect and you'll see generally 75%+ men. Watch the elite boarding - same thing. In back, much more even.

Also seem to be more solo men travelers than solo women, which also lends credence to the majority of woman travelers being more leisure than business, and thus in the minority overall.

5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    NY cab drivers don't like credit card machines because it's more likely they won't get a tip that way, plain and simple.

They figure the fare is never a round number, so they will almost always get a tip, even if it's a small one, when you pay cash.

When paying with a credit card, it's a lot easier for people to just swipe and get the hell out of the car and not leave any sort of tip.

6. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought someone had said they also don't like the float on credit cards. With cash they get money right then. With credit cards they get paid later.

7. goodandclassy
    Original Member

goodandclassy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The float makes sense!

As for tips, the way (in NYC anyway) the credit card checkout is set up you really have to try hard to not leave a 15+% tip.

i build the fees when i tip - $2 on <10 fare and 20% otherwise :D.. definitely beats rounding to the next dollar

8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do they really think that being hostile to their customers and demanding cash is going to be more lucrative than accepting plastic, once tips are factored in?

If a driver is being impolite and demanding cash over credit, I'd happily pay the exact amount on the meter and not a cent more, assuming I had the cash on me. Otherwise my tip would be similar to what goodandclassy cites.

If you depend on tips, treat the customer politely, at a minimum. Seems like common sense.

9. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quatsch as we say in German. Tips have increased significantly since the acceptance of credit cards was mandated.

Unlike what someone else here posted, taxi drivers are apparently ecstatic about the new system.

[​IMG]

wanderlust and goodandclassy like this.
  10. savydog
    Original Member

savydog Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mobile EFTPOS

These are readily available and are being used by some tradesmen now, this means more FF points for us :)

There is a thing called the cash economy where you can say your takings were $X when they were $Y and pocket the difference tax free. This of course is highly illegal and would not be considered by most operators :)

11. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a Taxi Driver in the other day. He said he likes the Credit Cards because usually the tips are better. However, what he did not like is that he had to pay 10% on the processing! He said that the 10% is to have Yellow process the tickets. (They are probably gouging the drivers) This supposedly covers the CC processing (approx 3-4%) and to give the driver the amount of cash equal to the fare + tip.