Random PreCheck @ CLE Hopkins

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by DJP_707, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just went through security at CLE and as I approached the TSA line an agent holding a I-pad touches the screen for you and a large arrow lights up and your directed to the regular TSA screening line or a PreCheck line. I "won" and got preCheck. It was a joy to go thru with jacket on, shoes,belt and watch on, and not having to remove laptop. You place you phone and wallet in you laptop bag and send it through as is. Then just walk through the metal detector. Done very quick and easy.

2. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm...I wonder how that can be since PreCheck qualified travelers are pre-cleared as low risk. I've experienced the opposite and once or twice a year have to go through 'regular' abuse, I mean security!

DJP_707 likes this.
  3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not pre-check, and have had recent experiences like this. Told by TSA to leave belt/shoes on, leave laptop in bag, etc. Totally random.

DJP_707 and gregm like this.
  4. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure how they can randomly send anybody through pre check along with others who applied and were pre qualified.

gregm likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was my point exactly. Nothing against anyone selected to bypass traditional abuse, I mean security, but I thought the TSA actually 'investigated' those who are selected or apply for PreCheck. Makes me wonder what actually is or isn't involved in the qualification. I know Global Entry is vetting applicants for PreCheck, but how can they ensure someone is a low risk without any actual "pre-checking".

6. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wouldn't say it was random, though it seemed so. I recall reading (perhaps here) the TSA was selecting certain passengers they have determined to be low risk based upon information in passenger manifests and randomly giving those people modified and/or full pre-check. In other words, if you have a long travel history, perhaps pay travel with business/corp credit card, sometimes travel with family, etc. you may be determined to be low risk. (No inside info on what and how they really check, of course.)

gregm likes this.