Random Miles Posting via Shopping programs

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Muerl, Aug 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I know a lot of people have mentioned this never happening, and It was definitely a surprise for me.

I had 45 UA miles post from "MP SHOPPING-VES_ACCESS_LOCAL_MERCH_" when I looked into it, on MP Shopping it listed that I has spend $18.99 at a restaurant (Estragon in the south end) and they were giving me 45 miles for it. Now, I am not one to complain for free miles, but I am confused why this came from MP Shopping and not you know MP Dinning.

To make things stranger, the restaurant doesn't show up when I search for it on either program, (Shopping or Dinning)

So i am curious has anyone else seen this Local Merch at all? It does seem to make registring cards worth it, though that is how Cartera actually really makes there money on monitoring people credit card transactions.

So, the real question is, is this repeatable? ;)

2. jaw_24
    Original Member

jaw_24 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some shopping malls have a separate category of rewards which are very similar to dining rewards, but usually they are retail oriented. There are restaurants included, and they typically monitor a credit card that you provide or a airline's card.

3. Kaiser
    Original Member

Kaiser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had this happen with AA eShopping as well. They have retail places that participate so if you use your card that you have registered with them at the retail place you get miles. In the past I have found some restaurants are part of AA eShopping retail outlets and Skymiles Dining so I was able to get miles in both programs for the single dine, which was nice!