Random data points

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by mevlannen, Nov 21, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is proposed 'catch-all' thread for disconnected tidbits of information concerning AC/AE, as might be gleaned by us during our travels.

Definitely not meant to contain substantive analysis: I am sure that we all only do that whilst 'on the clock'.

YULtide likes this.
  2. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    And so, having proposed the notion, I shall go first, with three observations made yesterday whilst on my way home from the Far Northern Frozen Outposts:

1) in YEG lounge, was informed by a worker therein that the pickles were "gone for good", to be replaced by carrots on December 5th, as part of a "refreshed" menu. (I suppose that carrots can be 'refreshed' by putting them back in the baby-carrot-making lathe and trimming them down, so that's plausible).

2) in YVR lounge, observed corn-syrup-drenched sweet gherkins on the food gondola, and was emphatically informed that "pickles are here to stay". Worker disavowed any knowledge of December 5th recatering. ('Time will tell", as the Geolograph Company always says!)

3. Whilst aloft over the storm-tossed waters of the Salish Sea, was informed by the FA that the fleet of DH3s was slated to go in for refurbishment. (Let me guess, adding an extra row of seats, perhaps? Take out the lavs, gain six more seats. Calin can give me the bonus cheque for that classic Kaizen suggestion.)

Be well,

Elane

YULtide likes this.
  3. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    And another random observation:

4 -- even as food quality/choices in the lounges is declining, so the reverse is happening whilst aloft. Sweets seem to be giving way to savouries.

-- eastbound, YVR>YCC, charcuterie cold plate of meat, cheese, and vegetables.

-- westbound, YEG>YVR, Asianish noodle salad with ?peanut sauce and shrimp topper. Not at all sure what Catering will do if someone in the tiny J-cabins declares allergies, though -- the aroma of that dish is so strong.

5) But, on the other hand: The tomato juice cartons/cans have been replaced by cartons of some eldritch concotion labelled as 'Tomato Beverage'. Have not been able to see the fine print ingredients-list yet, to work out exactly what that liquid's composition really is.

6) V-8 juice tins have vanished from view at YEG lounge. Far as I know, YEG was the only station where V-8 was stocked in the coolers.

And yes, I do indeed run out of things with which to keep myself occupied whilst travelling.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last night YVR-YEG was offered the snack basket with a dazzling array of almonds, chips and chocolate bars. No meal tray of any description, doubtless due to the departure time of 20:50.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  5. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    YULtide, surely you resisted the caloric blandishments of such nutrionally-'enhanced' offerings?

(Must confess, that I used to pocket the dark chocolate bars for later insertion into Darling Spouse's lunch-box!)

6. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The almonds seemed the least bad option, containing actual protein, which always goes well with a glass of wine.

londoncalling and mevlannen like this.
  7. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer a glass of wine with my glass of wine.

Sent from my iPhone

tomh009, mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    ACMM and YULtide, thanks for the lovel idea of tasty holiday food: wine-infused almonds. Perfact as a topper to my yummy fruitcake.

Incidentally, I am saddened to report that the boarding-room coffee-machines at both ends of my customary Western Canada aerial-commute are now broken. No more chance to enjoy a double shot of Johnnie Walker 'cooking Scotch' in my coffee, whilst awaiting the arrival of a trusty little DH-3. Colour me pallid with sadness.

9. yyznomad

yyznomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Cooking scotch as in....... Red? Coz come on... Black is marginally respectable! :p

Sent from my iPad using InsideFlyer mobile app

mevlannen likes this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    yyznomad, compared to Laphraoig, any 'colour' of Johnnie is cooking Scotch. I thank my kid sister (a Scotch maven) for that insight.

JWRed is okay for carrots flambe, anyway.

tomh009, The Lev and YULtide like this.
  11. yyznomad

yyznomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love my strong peats too, but I also have a bold Black line that I draw when it comes to JW. ;)

Sent from my iPad using InsideFlyer mobile app

mevlannen likes this.
  12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ANA lounges serve Hakushu (which is now sadly no longer age-rated) and that's quite all right with me. Even for drinking rather than cooking!

YULtide likes this.
  13. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some very fine Japanese whiskeys out there. Definitely worth trying. Tasmania is also starting to produce some decent ones, as well.

The Lev likes this.
  14. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    You people need to try some aged single barrel Bourbon. Beats most scotches.

mevlannen likes this.
  15. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I read recently that JW are working on a blend that includes some bourbon.

I probably should learn more about bourbon in general. Education always pays its own rewards.

londoncalling likes this.
  16. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe you can give us some lessons at the YYZ Do! :D

YULtide likes this.
  17. londoncalling

Status Points:
    No effort required for that lesson:)

tomh009 and YULtide like this.
  18. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Y received her E35K package in the mail yesterday.

19. londoncalling

Status Points:
    Mrs. LC received her E50 package last Thursday. My SE package has yet to arrive

YULtide likes this.
  20. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got my package in the mail yesterday. Anyone notice the glue on the cards seems much stickier than usual? Really hard to get off the cards.

Still, happy to be set for another year of travel.

21. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the fact that there were four luggage tags rather than two! Less luggage tag shuffling needed this year. :)

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  22. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    Extra luggage tags are definitely a nice touch. Looking forward to my first flight of the year next week.

mevlannen likes this.
  23. londoncalling

Status Points:
    I am taking my 8th in about 3 hours. :)

mevlannen and YULtide like this.
  24. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Six flights so far, and probably another four to come this month. Not travelling as much as I used to (pre-retirement), simply because I am now so busy on many projects (all of them enjoyable!) that I cannot find the time to block-out for travel.

On the other hand? My cooking is way more delicious than the 'food' that's on offer in the MLL.

25. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Luggage tags. Well, no package here yet, but all it's going to be is a sticker that says "welcome to Rouge 25K!" and maybe a plastic whoopee-cushion for my chair.

Seriously, though, the great fall from grace, from SE to R25? Haven't really been worrying about it, considering that nearly all of my air travel this year will be short catapult flings across the Salish Sea from YQQ to YVR, where the experiential comparison is between a tiny aircraft and a big slow lumbering ferry-boat. Given the diminished sea-worthiness and concomitant unreliability of the great huge bloated new ferry-boats, air-travel is the way to go, especially for an overnight trip to Vancouver.

Also dawns on me that I should make a new set of customised, heavy-weight, laminated tags, since my old set (from Canadian North) contains my business-cards from three companies ago.

Be well, happy flying to all!