Ralph Nader Takes on United Airlines

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Newscience, Feb 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    In today's View From the Wing column, Gary Leff brings attention to consumer rights icon Ralph Nader's recent letter to United Airlines CEO Jeff Smisek, which calls Smisel to task for his outsourcing of machinist union jobs. Leff also mentions that United Airlines has already outsourced baggage handling and customer service jobs, see:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/author/viewfromthewing/

Mr. Nader's letter can be read here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nader/united-airlines-ceo-jeff_b_6694204.html

It will be interesting to read Mr. Smisek's future reply!

Ralph Nader can be followed on Twitter here:

https://twitter.com/RalphNader

chrislacey, Kalboz, flyforawg and 6 others like this.
  2. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been going viral...had many send it to me today.

3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Nice to see Ralph finally make it up for his Corvair debacle. :p

Newscience, daninstl and MX like this.
  4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I'm sooooo hoping Smisek replies, although I doubt it - even with the story going viral. I've seen this all over Facebook today. Nader makes some solid points, but there's nothing earth shattering in his letter, IMHO. This has all been out there before.

Newscience and Flyer1976 like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been out there but I doubt the average non-Flyertalk traveler knows much about UA outsourcing (*). They may not even know that the regionals aren't actually staffed by non-United employees.

(*) Denver residents excluded :D

Newscience, chrislacey and flyforawg like this.
  6. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, and a perfect message well worded makes all the difference. No aeros or gangsters or general hyperbole in the language. It avoids the extreme posturing which generally sets off the counter extreme voices.

It's important to remember, that yes businesses are in it to make money, but it should be done with common sense and with people in mind and oftentimes just because we can do things doesn't mean we should. Would be nice if corporate leadership took more ethics courses and spent less time following the leader on lazy ways to enrich corporate earnings.

bigx0, MX, Newscience and 3 others like this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please remember business (as in politics) the person at the top sucks up all the glory for the successes and gets beaten with all the failures and short comings.

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gets beaten? You often see the rank and file go through layoffs while the top brass talks about realignment, refocus, restructuring (after years of making bad decisions). Sure, eventually, the CEO might get "realigned" by the board, too, but the beatings usually start at a lower level.

How's IBM doing these days, Ms. Rometty?

MX, Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  9. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    The nice thing about business in my opinion is it's not subject to court of public opinion which translates to being constantly second guessed, but still being able to make your own choices and living with the consequences.

Problem with modern c-suite occupants is they get richly rewarded regardless of efficacy of performance. The meritocracy of middle management goes out the window.

I'm not a union fan, but instead of building good will with labor during good times, the ceo is making a stronger case for them which will hurt the company further down the road.

10. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    McDonalds anyone?

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Radio Schlock?

Newscience and Dublin_rfk like this.