Raleigh-Durham Airport

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by iterfacio12, May 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. iterfacio12

iterfacio12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm about to relocate yet once again, and the closest international airport will be RDU. From what I've seen and researched, it looks like the best airlines to focus on would be Southwest for domestic flights, and AA for international flights. I'm just wondering if anyone has any substantial experience using it as their main hub. Thanks for any help.

2. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until Southwest moves to the renovated section, their terminal is miserable (very old and worn). It is fairly easy to use Southwest, AA, or Delta as your main airline.

3. firstglobal

firstglobal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Southwest will be getting a really nice new renovated terminal next spring. Totally agree about the airline options - the New American (tm) will be the largest airline at RDU, followed closely by Southwest and then Delta. United is a distant 4th. I see that the OP is from Korea - both AA and Delta can offer you easy one-stop flights to Seoul (AA via DFW assuming it lasts, and DL via ATL on Skyteam partner KE).

4. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isnt the DFW-ICN run going to be on one of their shinny new 777"s? Wouldnt be a bad milage run to top off the year if needed.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't RDU connected with a nonstop on UA to an Asiana gateway?

Both DL and AA have very nice but small lounges at RDU. With the merger, I fear the AA lounge will become crowded fast. Also, currently the US flights seem to use gates in the other wing at RDU. This could be inconvenient.

6. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm working towards Platinum with DL and currently Gold with AA. Primary for me would be DL and secondary AA. RDU offers plenty of options to major hubs to connect to international destinations. Which destinations did you have in mind? How much travelling do you plan? Since you plan on international flights I would not focus on Southwest. Instead redeem miles earned from another carrier on Oneworld or Skyteam partners.

7. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    The seat map for tomorrow's flight shows 4x4 in F which means they are using one of the previous generation 777s'.