Raise a glass! (Free beer/wine in international Y/Coach/Economy from 01-Feb-12

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by miamigrad, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Let the villagers rejoice! Seems like an effort to remain competitive and align with BA/IB for consistent product offerings.

"Offering complimentary beer and wine to our loyal customers in all classes of service allows American to better align our product offering with fellow oneworld® alliance members and is another example of our commitment to enhance the travel experience," said Rob Friedman, American's Vice President – Marketing. "Our customers asked for complimentary beer and wine, and we listened. Starting Feb. 1, when a customer travels internationally onboard American, we invite them to have a drink on us."

Customers traveling on American-operated flights between the U.S. and Europe, the U.S. and Asia and onboard long-haul flights between the U.S. and Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Uruguay, beginning next month, can choose from a variety of complimentary beer and wine options. This is in addition to the full selection of nonalcoholic beverages available on these flights. Liquor will be available for purchase as it is today.

estnet, rharrigill, zpaul and 2 others like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    That’s a good turn of events.

A few years ago on the Mexicana sale to EZE they canceled the flight down and re-routed us on AA. It was so sad to receive a inedible beef meal and no alcohol, versus Mexicana on the way home with palatable food and lots of drinks.

I’m a huge proponent of lower costs tickets, but I believe that some base level of service should survive. For me that includes alcoholic drinks on international flights – but at this point it doesn’t include alcoholic drinks on domestic flights. And it includes some nuts or something on domestic flights – something Continental was not providing last weekend…

rharrigill, zpaul and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice to see AA doing something that will appeal to pax...except me, as I do not drink alcohol. ;)

DL does this as well...

I was surprised to see UA does not do so on all international flights - per their site, "Alcoholic beverages available for purchase on all flights (complimentary on international trans-Pacific flights and flights within Asia"

rharrigill and zpaul like this.
  5. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    DARN! My first flight on AA in economy in over five years is next week...how it hurts to know that I missed this by six days! Not being able to pay for/upgrade to J after so many years is hard enough and I was resigned to paying $12 a drink, but knowing this makes it even worse. But it's a definite improvement! Thanks for (re)introducing some civilized meal practices in Y, AA!

rharrigill, TheBeerHunter and rwoman like this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are you AA EXP? If so they do offer a comp drink in Y.

rharrigill, rwoman and zpaul like this.
  7. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    They couldn't launch this a week earlier so the OW Mega DOers in coach to London could raise their glasses for free?

Doh!

8. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    ONE drink for a mega DOer?? You must be joking!

9. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, just PLAT. And besides, one drink on a 10 hour flight isn't really much (though combined with Ambien it can be just enough!).

rharrigill and rwoman like this.
  10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    On my last Y trip on AA metal my EXP seat companion in 31A enjoyed 4 comp mini bottles of gin before getting cut off and subsequently starting a verbal rumble with the FA. Generally I find if you are polite and push your luck you can get a few extra bottles, but don't press it too far. :D

11. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the cabin crew is based in Chile, no one is getting anything extra (my flight is SCL-DFW for those not savvy to the OWMD). Not even a smile. But if they're US-based, maybe I could sweet-talk my way into something.

My plan, thus far, is the tried-and-true strategy of pre-loading in the AC and trying to pass out ASAP once on board.

rharrigill and rwoman like this.
  12. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Beer and wine is $12 in economy?

zpaul and rwoman like this.
  13. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think zpaul was exaggerating for comedic effect. :)

Liquor and wine is $7, beer is $6.

14. rharrigill
    Original Member

rharrigill Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent! I'll be taking two international AA flights in the next few months, so this will be a nice extra.

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  15. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Liquid Upgrades" for all.

16. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    With the new safety video coming out soon, seems like everything at AA is getting an upgrade. Guess they weren't kidding when they said we'd be seeing changes soon.

rwoman, Skye1 and zpaul like this.
  17. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed! Mine was a reference back to when one´s upgrade hadn´t cleared, and one could have enough liquid in the lounge to forget (or at least be less aware of) that they´re still in economy, and/or to feel as comfortable as they might have up front :)

rwoman and zpaul like this.
  18. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    Truthfully I'd forego the booze if I could just get decent IFE in Y. But I won't say "no" to my wine and beer!

rwoman and Skye1 like this.
  19. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too true.

....as I´ve seen too many times when the IFE in J isn´t working, I´ve just gotten in the habit of brining my own IFE. I suppose of BYO works for alcahol (BYOB), maybe there´s room for a BYO for IFE...BYOL, BYON, BYOIFE,...bring your own laptop, netbook, IFE, etc.

zpaul and rwoman like this.