Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by Kalboz, Apr 28, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    A new property finally arriving in town on May 1st, after numerous delays. The 33 Storey, 290 rooms & suites property is located at Sukhumvit proper at soi 27, with around 500 meters to the nearest BTS/MRT station at Sukhumvit Asok interchange and Terminal 21 mega mall. While the shopping mall at Phrom Phong BTS station is around 700 meters the opposite direction just past Benjasisri Park. No word on the website whether there will be a shuttle to the nearest shopping/BTS stations. 7 different restaurants: from the Tuscan-inspired restaurant Attico and contemporary dim sum bar China Table to the B/Sharp lobby bar and B/Sweet dessert lounge. This property will also be the site for a rooftop venue, Vintage, a bar with panoramic views located on the 29th floor.

During my visit on the morning of April 11th, two floor were in operations in soft openings for their VIPs and others. The lounge is not opened yet either. I was given a brochure but hardly any significant information on upgrades or other benefits to Club Carlson elite members. Although the Thai FD manager was disinterested, she allowed one of her cohorts to show me a room on the 15th floor.

Other than being new and crispy clean, nothing in this 36 SQM room is worth mentioning nor a WOW-factor of any kind ... I could have been in your run of the mill property in Ohio somewhere! Toiletries and water bottles of standard issue. Separate shower and tub in the bathroom that has a huge window onto the bedroom but with privacy screen. The room design and layout reminded me of the Renaissance Bangkok standard room but with less elegance. Maybe the suites were not ready for them to show? Since 2009, I have been excitedly anticipating this property, following its progress, and expected much better from the Radisson Blu brand, especially here in SE Asia. I hope I am wrong and hastily jumping into conclusions here.

The lobbies and hallways looked grand but contained many ad poster promoting their Thai wedding services, including a huge showcase outside facing Sukhumvit. This is giving me the impression that this property is going the Plaza Athenee route and solicit/cater mainly to the Thai wedding market. I left the property with disappointment hoping that my first impressions are wrong ... so we we'll see how things will progress in the next few months.

Opening rate of THB 2,800++ ($103 all in) for Holiday Affair-Deluxe Room is available for many weekdays on their website for stays after May 1st, 2014. Award stays start at 38K GP per night - not bad for Blu brand. A good rate of THB 2,702++ including THB 500 F&B credit and 27-minutes Jet-lag massage for the first 27 Club Carlson members booking this rate. One disturbing trend I found on their Hotel Deals page is pricing rooms "Per Person Per Night" on many "deals"! We are a family of four and the cheapest rate on this page shows $180/night all in for a standard room, a huge sum for Bangkok IMO.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Full album of photos taken of this property: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/sets/72157644332896106/

Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok
    489 Sukhumvit Road,
    Klongtoey Nua, Wattana
    10110 – Bangkok – Thailand
    Phone +66 2302 3333

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    Thomask, Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had booked an award night for April 1 (plus the 2nd for free) when bookings first became available but was prompted to change my reservations to May 1,2 when the opening was pushed back. Now it appears I won't be able to stay but your (p)review makes me not care one whit.

Gotta figure out ways to whittle down my Carlson point balance......

uggboy, Newscience and Kalboz like this.
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of points here too, Gold status, and been anticipating this property for years now having read all the rave reviews of other Blu properties. But they are vague abut all the important factors that makes a property home away from home while in Bangkok, such as upgrades to appropriate space, breakfast, and transportation. The kid that took me to the room was polite and courteous, but, again, lacked knowledge about their loyalty program and what the hotel would offer its most loyal guests. This young man (and his superior) work at the front desk where he will be the face of the hotel interacting with guests ... and that's why first impressions are important!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
    kwai, Jimgotkp, uggboy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way to go, Kalboz! Thanks for all of your great posts from Thailand (and elsewhere)!
    Newscience

Jimgotkp, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    @kwai it would be interesting to know how you do with your stay at this property (if it happens) ... please let us know!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
    kwai, Jimgotkp and uggboy like this.
  7. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick review, Kalboz. BKK is really my favorite city when it comes to hotels since the 4* and 5* hotels are really affordable compared to other cities.

uggboy, Kalboz and kwai like this.
  8. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Late last year I checked into the Park Plaza on Soi 18 after a ~6 month hiatus. The staff recognized me from myriad prior visits and the woman checking me in remarked (with surprise) that I was only Gold. When I rattled off a few reasons why striving for Concierge wasn't in my best interest (vs HH Gold and SPG Plat) she clearly had no understanding of the benefits of Carlson status much less in comparison to other chains.

Seems this might be an endemic problem with CC properties in Bangkok.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  9. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    This particular res I'll need to cancel but perhaps something can be finagled for later in May.

10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The new Radisson BLU Plaza Bangkok got also extensive coverage at hotelchatter.com recently.

Radisson Blu Plaza Bangkok Accepting Rezzies for May 1

Here's an excerpt:

Full coverage, plus photos:

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/2...Blu_Plaza_Bangkok_Accepting_Rezzies_for_May_1

Kalboz likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wish many more cities would join these value ranks. Bangkok is a great city, from tradition to modernity, it makes for a rewarding journey.

Jimgotkp and Kalboz like this.
  12. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    i stayed at the same hotel about 2 years ago...as a status-matched Gold...sounds like i was fortunate that the front desk didn't remark 'oh, you're not a Gold, just a status-matched one !'

well, I didn't actually stay there for the night (the hotel looked quite modern actually, and the room looks a good size), checked in for a couple of hours and went back to Holiday Inn Bangkok for the night as it was a business trip, came back to Park Plaza late next morning to check out..for the 50,000 point Club Carlson points promo that CC ran that year...wouldn't mind staying there again next time as the room rates were very competitive and the room looks a good size

13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure, looks beautiful ... but all these photos are artist rendition and not true photos of actual rooms. The same photos are posted on the hotel's website.

uggboy likes this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hotelchatter seems to concentrate on the fact that a famous interior design company has fitted out the hotel. I don't know, do they have visited the property? Thanks for your insights Kalboz. Yes, I noticed that they used the website "photos" which are renderings, glad we've here your firsthand photos from your visit / tour of the hotel, plus your impressions / staff encounters too. I'm looking forward to hear / read about how guests who are staying there in the future feel about this property and how they like it in terms of service, recognition and design. Usually, at least from our experiences so far, Radisson BLU properties are very good hotels.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to have one more CC hotel in Bangkok to choose from..i'm sure the hotel will get better in customer service in time, and hopefully Elite member recognition...it's tough competition amongst hotels/hotel chains in Bangkok, so customer service and recognition would be key......;)

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I stated above, I hope I am wrong ... I have stayed at other CC properties (not in Bangkok though) in the past and was very happy with them.

uggboy likes this.
  17. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, i would be very happy too..if they simply had more hotels in Asia where i am based !

18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    On May 1st I received a facebook message from the property stating:
    On May 2nd, I wrote Mr. Ang a request for clarification on our above concerns. As of today, I haven't received any response from him. I also messaged their facebook page informing them of lack of response or even acknowledgment to no avail ... this leads me to conclude that this property's management is not concerned about Radisson's brand or customer loyalty.

Thomask and uggboy like this.
  19. FlyingExplorer

FlyingExplorer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are there any updates on what (status-matched) Gold benefits people receive at this property? It seems to be a good value on points for people with the US credit card - even with the decline in Bangkok hotel prices.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    not stayed there yet, but the TripAdvisor reviews on this property has been mixed, stayed at Park Plaza Soi 18 previously, found that to be very good value on price vs value..;)

Kalboz likes this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reviews and photos of this property here: http://focusedflyer.com/2015/06/23/review-of-the-radisson-blu-plaza-bangkok/

Highlights of the review for this Club Carlson Gold member:
    • We were given a one category upgrade to the Grand Deluxe Room, which simply meant that we were on a higher floor.
    • The hotel also has a very well equipped gym, pool, and both a sauna and steam room free of charge, however we did not get lounge access.
    • Two free bottles of water were given daily. Wifi is also free, but limited to three devices. After calling the front desk, they were able to add one more for free.
    • As our rate did not include breakfast, we were offered a breakfast buffet for ~$20 per person per day.

Thomask and uggboy like this.