Radisson Blu Hotel - Rome

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by Kalboz, Jun 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    $125 - Radisson Blu Rome Hotel 40% Off located next to Stazioni Termini, a great base to explore the eternal city and its attractions:
    [​IMG]
    Rooftop pool​

flyingdawg, uggboy, Chimpy and 3 others like this.
  2. kyunbit
    Original Member

kyunbit Silver Member

Status Points:
    great rate for a Radisson blu in Europe

flyingdawg, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  3. serion

serion Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone stayed at this property? Most of the reviews on TripAdvisor are scathing. I'm not looking for anything fancy -- just a clean place to lay my head.

Also, I'm trying to book on their site using points for 3 adults. No reward rooms pop up, however if I reduce the # of people to 2, I get several options. What do you think the changes are of getting a roll-away bed and them allowing a 3rd person if I originally book the room for 2 people?

Kalboz, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  4. myskyconnections

myskyconnections Active Member

Status Points:
    rome? 3rd person should be fine :)

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also looking for reliable review of this hotel as I'm looking to stay there in January. I've even gone so far as to browse the street on google earth. Looks questionable on trip advisor, etc.

6. ecleppe

ecleppe Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would pass on this one. A (TA) friend of mine had a stay in it when he was in Rome back in April.
    The location isn't very good, it's close to the train station, but not really in the good neighborhood. He even didn't feel very safe going out in the evening.

I have been reading reviews on booking.com as well and lots of people mention the hotel is pretty worn out and seriously in need of refurbishment.

7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, ecleppe !

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  8. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard this hotel is not that great and it's not safe to walk outside near this hotel at night.

flyingdawg likes this.
  9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just did a reward stay at the Radison Blu Rome last night. I booked a deluxe room at 70k club Carlson points but they also upgraded me to a junior suite. The hotel is really cool and the decor is like a cross between IKEA and modern art but.... The rooms are run down and need repair. I have a feeling it varies by room but I wasn't impressed. It was ok clean and they have nice tv and I had a great balcony. I would stay here again because of the location for a quick cheap or reward night stay. It is right across the side street from the termini train station. It's close to several roman sites. The neighborhood is ethnic and diverse. It is not in the tourist area of Rome so it's gritty but I didn't think dangerous. Most like less pickpockets and scam artist than in the main tourist areas. It was very close to local markets, clothing shops and restaurants. It has a really cool fish and fruit market right behind it. It is not as nice as the intercontinental da la ville which we stayed at on a prior night. Being close to the main train and bus hub is a huge bonus for the Radison Blu but it needs to be remodeled. We had easy and cheap access to Civitichia and FCO. Oh and they offer the minibar buy out for 13.90 € which is an ok deal if you need snacks, soda and water handy. There is a small market across the street at the train station side entrance also. I'll try to post some photos later but there are a bunch on trip advisor.

10. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Were the bathrooms open or with glass to the sleeping area? I travel with friends and like a little more privacy than open/glassed in bathrooms allow. I was thinking of an Italy trip and in pictures on Tripadvisor the bathrooms appeared open.

uggboy, flyingdawg and Kalboz like this.
  11. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    We had a jr suite so it seemed like a much larger room with a more open plan but I think the standard rooms are about the same on privacy, there is none. Imagine a loft apartment with an opaque glass closet for the toilet and bidet. Then add a shower in the corner of the apartment with a round shower curtain, add a jetted bath tub and the sinks against one wall. Even for my wife and I it was not enough privacy. Once I get home I'll try to post a photo or two.

There are some cool James Bond features like the power window blinds but that doesn't make up for the open floor plan.

uggboy, Kalboz and flyingdawg like this.
  12. I travel to Rome frequently and find the area where the Blue is to be quite nasty. Termini on that side seems to always have a cast of characters hanging around.

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok here are a few photos of Room 415, Jr. Suite
    DSC01171.JPG DSC01174.JPG DSC01172.JPG

14. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few more
    DSC01181.JPG DSC01179.JPG DSC01173.JPG

15. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    View from Balcony to courtyard and exterior.
    DSC01178.JPG
    DSC01177.JPG DSC01176.JPG

16. It's not about the property but the area around the hotel. There are no decent restaurants either.

Kalboz and flyingdawg like this.
  17. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    In danger of overposting. Here are few of the lobby and area at night, etc. The last one is the cool fish market nearby. You would never know from the outside of the building. A hidden gem I think. DSC01170.JPG DSC01185.JPG DSC01183.JPG DSC01180.JPG

uggboy, Kalboz, tnbt and 1 other person like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. Kalboz,
    Not be patronizing here about any hotel in particular in Central Rome, but in the summer months particularly July and August Hotels are generally quite cheap because Rome is uncomfortably hot in those months. we go to Rome often and even family who live there get out of that City in those months if they can. And one can do better and be even closer to the antiquities that people go there for in mid summer.

Kalboz likes this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, indeed, thank you for the input. I am very much aware of the ferragosto as I lived in Italy for 2 years in my late teens and since have traveled there often. During July & August, Rome is overrun by around two million tourists and accommodations are hard to come by. This is good for people who are already planning to go through Rome during July/August which also includes a full American breakfast buffet for 2 people.
    [​IMG]

guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.
  21. Kalboz,Every hotel I just checked have much lower rates from mid July to the end of August as opposed to right now or in mid September. My little boutique hotel has lowered their rates to 100 euros in August from 180/200 right now. I too have spent a lot of time in Itlay and have relatives in Rome. I'm just pointing out things I know as fact. If you thiink otherwise, vive la difference.;)

Kalboz likes this.
  22. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of course we support your little boutique hotel as we take care of our own ;)

23. IC random 3 week days in June.....avg price 323 euros per day
    IC random 3 week days in Aug......Avg price 213 euros per day

My boutique hotel in Monti is 305 Euros for a random 3 days in June and 155 Euros for a random 3 days in August. A basic single room goes from 248 per day to 95 per day.

Just sayin' ;)

Kalboz likes this.