Radisson Blu Amsterdam

Discussion in 'Carlson | Club Carlson' started by garyst16, Apr 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be checking in to the Blu in Amsterdam... Any helpful hints?

flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  2. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've been hoping to stay there soon. Looking forward to your thoughts on the property when you get a chance!

garyst16, flyingdawg and uggboy like this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed at the RB Amsterdam (downtown, not AMS) this past weekend. Check in was OK, slower than what you receive in the US, but not atypical in the EU. The front desk clerk was friendly and courteous. Since I am Gold status with Club Carlson, (Thank you US Bank!) I received an upgrade to a Superior room which is only slightly larger than a Standard room. As with most EU hotels, the rooms are quite small when compared to the US standard. The Superior room was however recently refurbished. I have attached some pictures of the room, and I must apologize in advance, they were taken on the last day of my stay so the bed is a little rumpled and the bathroom counter is filled with my toiletries... but it will give you a good idea of the size/space.

The bathroom was a decent size and included a large, deep soaking tub that I wish I had the time to enjoy. The shower was a decent size, not small, like most showers in the EU, and included a rain head which I always find refreshing.

The hotel has a small bar that has that old world feel with dark wood and is just a nice cozy place to have a drink and watch a football game or relax. Everyone at the hotel was friendly/courteous. A buffet breakfast was included in my room rate and was served in the restaurant fronting the sidewalk....selections were acceptable as was the food. Nothing spectacular but overall it was good.

Location, Location, Location... as they say in Real Estate, it is everything! The RB Amsterdam is 3 blocks from the Red Light district and within walking distance to a number of restaurants. If you want to park a car however, good luck... you may be walking a few blocks... but then again... you are in downtown Amsterdam!

Again, my apologies for the messy room!

RB AMS room 1.jpg RB AMS room 2.jpg RB AMS bathroom 1.jpg RB AMS bathroom 2.jpg

4. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bath looks great! Thx for sharing the review!

uggboy and garyst16 like this.
  5. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report! I always thought that location would be fun.

garyst16 and uggboy like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. Looking at three or four nights in Amsterdam and am planning to use Club Carlson points (and CC Visa free night benefit). The Blu and the Park Plaza Victoria Amsterdam seem to be the main options in central Amsterdam. I won't have a car and will likely take the train from the airport to the central station, so the Park Plaza would be very convenient to get to, but the reviews I saw in one minute of browsing were mixed for that property.

garyst16 likes this.
  7. vespa7

vespa7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    we stayed here in feb, and booked the business suite with the club carlson points for 2 nights. Our room was large, very spacious, more contemporary than the photos in the above posting. our room had 2 floors. the bathroom was located at the bottom of the stairs at the entrance, and the bed upstairs with also a nice view outdoors from one of the high floors. our room came with the breakfast, and we felt it was a great deal booking with the points, as we have the CC visa free night benefit as well. I really enjoyed breakfast, it had a nice selection of healthy and organic foods. it's a nice hotel, and it took maybe about 15 minutes to walk to the central station with our luggage , so it's really not very far. the staff are very pleasant.