"Racial profiling rife" at Boston Logan Airport

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by PhlyingRPh, Aug 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. PhlyingRPh
    Original Member

PhlyingRPh Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, not really news but I'm glad the NYT acknowledged the problem of racist profiling by the TSA.

While the story by Michael Schmidt and Eric Lichtblau betrays their personal biases against "Middle Eastern travelers" (they imply in the opening paragraph that it's OK to profile "Middle Easterner's"), the story is important as it points out that many other groups are also targetted by the TSA based on racial or cultural stereotypes.

Apparently, the bias is so blatant that even the state police in Mass. are uncomfortable with it...

I do appreciate the TSO that made the following statement, bolded by me, although the individual does seem to miss the fact that the BDO program was always just a nice scientifically based cover to avoid inconveniencing the nice, mainstream folks and making them feel better about having to travel with those of different skin colors, ethnicities and religious beliefs.

Anyway, here's the whole story...

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/12/u...irport-officials-say.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all

2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I spent an interesting evening about 1 month back at a hotel bar with a lady who worked for the TSA and indicated to me that this was a new approach they were taking. Did not think it was so blatant but hey whatever works. Works for flying through TLV and that is all I care about.

(Posted from my milePoint enabled iPhone)