Rabbi tries to prove NW roke its contract by withdrawing his FF Account

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Aug 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good afternoon!,

I saw this in the news...makes me wonder what NW's justification for revoking the FF account was...I'm sure the PMNW FF's here will have some thoughts.

I know many of us have submitted many complaints to DL about various issues...no word of an account being cancelled because if it!

:)robin

SF Chronicle: Airline Passengers Can Sue if Deals are Revoked

estnet, Davescj and Kalboz like this.
  2. snc1019

snc1019 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Go get them big boy!

Kalboz likes this.
  3. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen:D

Mapsmith likes this.
  4. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Indiana Delta Diamond Silver Member

Status Points:
    Poor journalism. I promise it is more than "complaints about service" and the merger. I didn't read all of it but it only says that they can be sued...not that they will lose. As to why it was filed in CA....that one is pretty clear. If you want an ruling against a company you go to the 9th circuit. Now, don't take that as me trashing it. Airlines should be accountable legally like any other business.

Gargoyle likes this.
  5. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is that a promise you can keep? Airlines should be subject to suit on contract and similar matters anywhere the fly so passengers can sue close to home. Forum shopping like happened here should be discouraged or even prohibited..

DeltaExpert likes this.
  6. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, Delta and formerly Northwest receives MILLIONS of complaints and the merger generated TONS of talk...just view the internet forums on that....and did they cancel accounts of those people? No. I believe I said in my post that "Airlines should be accountable legally like any other business". I have no idea what "forum shopping" means. Like you, I am an original member of MilePoint and a long, long time airline forum poster.

7. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    "Forum shopping" refers to the practice of filing lawsuits in jurisdictions that are considered to be most likely to look favorably upon the lawsuit, even if neither the plaintiff nor the defendant has a physical presence in that jurisdiction. It has nothing to do with internet forums :)

8. Indiana Delta Diamond
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I knew that...I just didn't get the context. And, yes, I agree they forum shopped.

9. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    While normally I disagree with anything the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals does, I tend to agree with this move. In principle, people should have the right to relief via the courts. (not saying that every case has merit, but people do have a right to due process).

10. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    It certainly would seem there's more to the story than a few complaint letters (be them service related or merger related).

If I were to guess, the guy must have done something like:
    A) started to harass or threaten airline employees
    B) sent letters to executives' homes
    C) did something inappropriate with his ff account (sold a ticket, had some one try to fly as him, etc)
    D) overdid it with hidden city ticketing

A few well written complaints aren't going to be met with zeroing out of a frequent flyer account. If the airline did zero him out, I'm surprised they didn't also ban him from their carrier (or maybe they did, and the reporter didn't pick this up).

rwoman likes this.
  11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    This story reminds me of the thousands of letters that Sprint sent out a few years ago to "loyal customers" who were notified they were being dropped by Sprint because they called tech support or called to complain "too often". I don't know what happened with that case and I'm sure several created a class action lawsuit against Sprint. Did anyone keep up with that?

It appears that NW (now DL) kept good records on how often the rabbi complained and even better records of how he was compensated. I'm glad the airline did/does this. I feel better knowing that half of the FT'ers who are demanding compensation for the smallest things are being tracked. Maybe one day, too, they will be booted from the FF program.

-RM

NYBanker and rwoman like this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    This story has more details:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/16/travel/frequent-flier-complaints-northwest/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

In July 2008, Northwest sent the rabbi a letter noting that he had made 24 complaints in the past eight months, including nine incidents of his bag arriving late at the luggage carousel, according to court papers.
    "You have continually asked for compensation over and above our guidelines. We have awarded you $1,925.00 in travel credit vouchers, 78,500 WorldPerks bonus miles, a voucher extension for your son, and $491.00 in cash reimbursements," the letter states, according to court papers.
    "Due to our past generosity, we must respectfully advise that we will no longer be awarding you compensation each time you contact us."
    Ginsberg's lawyers countered that the rabbi and his wife had been averaging about 75 flights on Northwest each year, and that Ginsberg estimated that only about 10% of the trips had resulted in a call to Northwest's customer care.
    "I don't think I was a frequent complainer," Ginsberg said.

NYBanker likes this.
  13. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. 24 complaints in 8 months is a lot. It sounds like he did pretty good on the compensation, but it isn't clear if that compensation relates just to those 24 complaints, or others previously. He was averaging three complaints a month during those 8 months.

I average 2 to 3 a year, so hopefully I'm in the clear.

In any event, it sounds like the pax didn't do any of the bad things that I speculated. that is good.

14. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Rabbi was just one for ten flights or so his lawyer said. How about the rest of us. I may have more than the one in ten but fewer total and scattered over several airlines. On minor complaints, in my message I say this is just to help the airline improve and no compensation or award is being sought or should be awarded. I do not want to be in a position that when I have a real complaint I will be ignore.

I twitter complaints and get a fast "so sorry" answer. Whether that is effective in getting the message to management is an unknown but the buzz says it is. There I do not identify myself other than as KyRoamer so no compensation will result.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The numbers don't add up, I think. NW said 24 complaints in 8 months. Lawyer says 75 flights a year on avg. and only 10% resulting in complaints. That would mean 7.5 complaints/year or 5 for 8 months.

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The airline documents everything, so I would suspect they are less likely to engage in hyperbole than is the lawyer.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Also fits the total compensation listed better, "$1,925.00 in travel credit vouchers, 78,500 WorldPerks bonus miles, a voucher extension for your son, and $491.00 in cash reimbursements"

Gargoyle likes this.
  18. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    By making that statement the airline is demonstrating that they have detailed documentation backing up their actions. I can't imagine them falsifying such data.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If I understand the suit correctly (without having actually read it), the dispute isn't so much over how many complaints the rabbi filed, but rather whether NW/Delta has the right to kick him out of the program. I think each program I have signed up for has some sort of clause that gives the company running the program that right, and I agreed to that by signing up. So not quite sure what the argument will be. Should be interesting, though.

20. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points: