RA experience at Intercontinental New Orleans

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by CJN, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. CJN

CJN

Stayed at the Intercontinental in New Orleans in August on the F & F rate and had mixed feelings about the stay.

Check in was quick and the clerk informed us of the lounge location, gym, etc. The room was interesting. As a Royal Ambassador I was upgraded to a suite on a low level floor, but it was unlike any suite I’ve had before. You opened the door to a fairly long hall with a bathroom opening to the right. The end of the hall opened into the bedroom which was large and featured a couch, several chairs and a TV. The sitting area was located off the bedroom (between the bedroom and the interior wall) and was windowless. The décor was ok, but the ceilings were low and view was terrible.

The window was eye level to a multi-story parking lot across the street, where a parked car was a stone's throw from where we stood. We called the front desk to ask about whether they had any other rooms with better views. They said every room was pretty deficient in good views. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, the surrounding block is full of tall buildings.

We set off to explore the property and discovered our key did not access the Lounge floor, so had to go back to reception to have them activate it. When we eventually found it, we saw that the lounge was tiny with the same uninspiring view as our room. The décor was here was good, but actually dominated the small room, which had only around 4 to 5 tables. When we went to breakfast we almost had to fight for a place to sit, and food (while good) was spread across the room in various stations and not replaced frequently.
    Our RA amenity arrived shortly after check in – a full bottle of wine and a fruit plate as well as some welcome chocolates in the shape of Fleur de lis, which was a nice treat.

Be careful parking your car with valet, it's a nightmare to get out. Takes forever. Definitely call down ahead of time to give them some time.

In summary, check-in was easy, though nothing special. Room was pretty average for an RA suite, but we got the upgrade without any problem. Lounge was hardly a place to lounge, but rather a place to grab some light fare before seeing the sights. Overall, it was a decent stay.

uggboy, TheBeerHunter and KLA like this.
  2. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually stay here when visiting New Orleans (which is several times a year), as they do treat RAs rather well for what they can offer. They were being honest, there are no views to speak of at this hotel. It's not tall enough to see over the surrounding buildings.

I'm not sure if their club rates are just super cheap or if they give out club access readily, but the lounge is always overcrowded, and there are always people who come in, see the throngs, and leave, or grab a plate and take it away. You would think they'd somehow address this, but they haven't yet and don't seem intent to. We've always found the lounge attendant (his name escapes me right now...) to be very good at keeping drinks topped up and cleaning up plates, etc. If you plan on going to cocktail hour make sure you get there early so you can get a seat!

Our last stay was at Christmas and we were upgraded to a suite on the club floor. It was gigantic, complete with full sized fridge, wetbar area, etc. But the bathrooms and kitchenette hadn't seen refurbishment since, oh, the 60s. Still for the cheap price we paid, the space was enormous.

Certainly not the best IC in the system, but they have good, solid RA treatment which I appreciate. And my husband loves the chocolate fleur de lis. [​IMG]

uggboy and CJN like this.
  3. CJN

CJN

Well put. RA's should feel welcome here. And I loved the chocolate fleur de lis too!

uggboy likes this.
  4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good to know. The chocolates are standard for all Ambassadors, as I received one when I made my first Platinum Ambassador stay there. I'll be there next weekend, and it should be interesting to see what sort of room I get, since I booked a club room.

uggboy likes this.
  5. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Reposted from my blog: There are more pictures there because of the picture limit per post here.

At the end of August, I made a stay at the Intercontinental New Orleans, finally making my first stay as a Royal Ambassador. This was also the hotel I made my first stay as an Ambassador, so it is quite fitting for me to do the same for Royal Ambassador.
    The Room
    I was upgraded to a two room corner suite, which was really just composed of two normal rooms, with the door opened and the second room converted into a sitting area.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overall a very comfortable room. The bathrooms were also very nice, with premium amenities which are to be expected from a full Intercontinental. Because of the setup of the room, there were two complete bathrooms, making it much easier to entertain guests.
    Being a corner room, it was one of the few rooms with any sort of view. The hotel is actually one of the shortest buildings in the area, so the views are normally not that great. However, I was able to get a good view of Canal St. from the corner window of the sitting room.
    My one complaint with the room is that the room keys were done to the bedroom, and not the sitting room.
    The Lounge
    I had access to the Club Intercontinental, and it was a decent lounge. The lounge itself is open 24 hours with non-alcoholic beverages available during that time. During the early evening, they have snacks and alcoholic beverages for free, and I actually made a dinner out of the snacks one evening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The lounge itself is relatively small, but still quite spacious since there are nowhere near as many people visiting a Club Intercontinental as a regular hotel lounge.
    The Welcome Amenity
    The fruit basket and water are standard, and this property does not skimp. In addition, they also include a nice large chocolate fleur de lis for all guests, In addition, my Royal Ambassador gift was a bottle of Stone Cellars wine with a postcard and recepie suggestion. This wine is actually the exact same wine they were serving in the lounge, and it was a decent wine that I enjoyed.
    [​IMG]
    The minibar selection was fairly standard, though I will say I did not really care for the wine in the minibar. While it is drinkable, it is not something I would pay any money to consume.
    Service
    With any four star hotel, service is one of the key things, and I will say that I was neither impressed or dissatisfied with the service. Housekeeping was clean and efficient, and very friendly when doing the turndown service. The front desk was efficient, though nothing made me feel warm. The bell staff went above and beyond, with one even filling in for the concierge when he was having to help another guest.
    Overall
    This is a decent property, and you can get some good value rooms on weekends ($109 for the Ambassador Weekend rate). It is nice in that it is removed from the French Quarter, while still being close enough to walk without any problems. I would definitely stay here again, however this is not one that would go on my list of favorite Intercontinentals.

6. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    some of the queen corners have views down st charles. but then you get the noise of the street cars... i prefer to view and quiet.