RA Cert from Ebay

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by Jliu, Jun 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jliu

Jliu Active Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, I bought the RA Cert from Ebay and it did not turn out to be a happy thing.

The seller did not provide a name and PC number. The certificate looks normal BUT how can I be sure its a not a fake? Is there some serial number or something?

I am still contacting the seller for the name and pc number but no reply. Will eventually go paypal but looking thru all the posts, it seems that my money is gone.

Was wondering if I could still send in the certificate without the referral name and PC number?

I hope some1 can give me some advices.... either here or by pm...

Thanks...

2. I can give you my RA name and number if you want to give that a shot. Should work the trick..
    Marc

nime01, Tim O'Brien, sobore and 3 others like this.
  3. Jliu

Jliu Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, that would be very kind, how could I pm you for the details?

Moreover, I am still trying to contact the seller, what I am afraid is that the cert is actually a fake printed one.. thought it looks pretty real though... also the IHG envelope is missing....

4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you posted on both FT and here, I would have thought you would know to be careful of buying these off of eBay. I don't know if any are being faked or not, but I'm sure it would be easy enough to do.

Does anyone know of any security features on these certs? The last one I looked at had no unique serial number, or anything I could easily discern that would keep them from being faked.

MrHalliday likes this.
  5. Jliu

Jliu Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi, I thought the seller feedback was good enough for me... moreover, I was kinda too "motivated" to get RA status because of an upcoming grad trip which i have been planing forever at bora bora...

The cert does indeed looked very real, on hard paper, with the right expiry date, and with a AZQRAM code and the bottom right corner... Anyone else knows how can i distinguish from a real?

If Marc is willing to "refer" me I could give it a shot, I will first buy ambsa.. then send in the RA cert...

6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    My guess without seeing it is that it's probably real but that the seller is afraid to identify themselves as having sold the cert. Pretty silly to sell a cert that requires a Priority Club # and be unwilling to provide that number, that's just asking for problems in the transaction. There's never a guarantee that Priority Club will process the cert. Buying these from eBay isn't just against the rules, it may not work out as hoped. But best of luck to you!

nime01, MrHalliday and viguera like this.
  7. Jliu

Jliu Active Member

Status Points:
    infact the cert really looked real, what im suspecting is that these sellers got certs from others and so are not providing the info required... I have already file for paypal dispute...

now perhaps Marc RA "refer" might help...

indeed, good luck to me... sigh...

viguera likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I agree it's either what you said or gleff... the cert was probably sold by someone who didn't want it, maybe someone that received it as a gift. Either way, it looks like it's always caveat emptor when it comes to these things, and you never know when PC won't accept it and you'll be left holding the bag.

9. PM'd you the info.. Good Luck mate.

10. Jliu

Jliu Active Member

Status Points:
    hey mate... isnt this public!??! its like on your status, everyone could see no? I will first try to contact the seller then eventually if it doesn work I will use your info.... btw have you ever referred anyone in the past year? I read from forums that IHG DO check if a RA already refer someone in the past year...

11. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    MrHalliday likes this.
  12. MrHalliday
    Original Member

MrHalliday Silver Member

Status Points:
  13. I have an RA referral cert that I might give to someone worthy but I will not sell it

Sagy, nime01, AdamRx and 7 others like this.
  14. Jliu

Jliu Active Member

Status Points:
    i should have "asked" for a referral in MP instead.... much more reliable than buying... sigh...

15. Nice Terry.

MrHalliday likes this.
  16. MilePointInformed
    Original Member

MilePointInformed Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have sent them in before without filling referring member in and no problem

17. AdamRx
    Original Member

AdamRx Silver Member

Status Points:
    How can I prove myself worthy to you? :)
    I am in the market for one of these.

18. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just joined Ambassador and would like to acquire a nominating certificate. Anyone have any ideas? Happy to pay it forward...