R Space Inventory

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by Que Sera, Sep 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. New this this site and trying to find out how to determine R space inventoay (upgradable to Exective cabin) on a particular Air Canada flight.

I have purchased Latitude class have have been waitlisted for part of my itinerary. When I look at the seat map, there are seats available in the executive cabin, but I was not automatically upgraded. How do I find out how many seats are on this R list.

It is 5 months before my flight - will I have to wait until just before the flight to find out if I will be upgraded and how do I find out what order I am on the waitlist?

JohnDeere19, Concerto and Gargoyle like this.
  2. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are no instant upgrades on AC. The wiki is great info, but a couple of quick points to guide you:
    • You need e-credits to have a chance to upgrade- these come with AC status. no e-credits, no realistic hope of an upgrade
    • See if the flight even has the potential for a 'Lat instant upgrade with e-credits'- the box beside your AC flight will be blue (good) or grey (waitlist).
    • after booking, Manage my Bookings 'request for upgrade' screen will show you which leg(s) can be upgraded right away vs waitlisting.
    • AC doesn't show where you are on the waitlist as it is status and fare dependent

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. BackSlash

BackSlash Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't it matter if it's booked under a flight pass or not? IIRC flights booked on Latitude flight pass credits can clear at booking, otherwise you're right, you would have to wait until your upgrade window opened depending on status

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  5. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    sorry- wasn't clear to me that it was a flight pass.
    The Lat flight pass is instant up if J/C/Z space is available within 48 hrs; so it can be instant if you book within 48 hrs of flight; you will see the request upgrade box on the manage my flight pass page. If outside 48 hrs, then you need to wait for the request box to go live, or use e-credits.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. To clarify, I have already booked my flights in Latitude class and used my e-upgrade credits to obtain the upgrades. Some of the segments on my iterinary were available for upgrade immediately and I have been waitlisted for 2 other segments. What I am asking is not how to request an upgrade but how to determine R space inventory for the particular flights for which I am on the waiting list. There are still seats available for purchase in Executive class, but I want to know how many of these seats are on the R list. Or are all remaining Executive seats considered R space?

I found this recommendation posted on a previous thread, but not sure how/where to implement this. "Another method is to use a third party fare class availabilty tool. The upgrade fare bucket for upgrade space is R. (Hence you will often see the phrases "R space", formerly "I space")" Any one know what this means and how to do it?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  7. southender
    Original Member

southender Silver Member

Status Points:
    R space is the where the Exec First upgrades come from; it is different than J (available for sale). R availability (or lack thereof) is controlled by AC with some kind of voodoo math. I subscribe to ExpertFlyer- well worth it to track R space availability and esp when R seats are released while you are on the waitlist- it has an alert tool that lets you know when the R space on the flight you are on is posted. As there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the appearance of R space (AC doesn't have to release R seats at any set time if ever), the alert tool is a stress reliever as it hunts while you sleep, work, live. I think they have a trial subscription for you to try it and see how it works for you.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  8. I was googling around yesterday and found two sites that show inventory for upgradable seats - flightstats.com and ExpertFlyer.com. There is a 5 day trial with Expertflyer that I signed up for but will have to pay the annual membership to get the alert tool feature. For my particular flights in question (YVR-KOA and HNL-YVR) it is showing R 0 for both. There are still at least 8 J class seats left for sale, so I am hoping there will be some R seats released at some point. I may even call into Air Canada to find out where I am on the waiting list.

Gargoyle likes this.
  9. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC will likely not tell you your current position on the standby list as it could change at any time.

[Sent from my milePoint enabled iPhone]