R Space Follies

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by guinnessxyz, Mar 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. As we all know AC pretty much zeroes out R space based on some historical calculation about how many actual J seats they will sell on a given flight. Which, in my opinion should be good business practice.

I am flying back from HKG in the next few days on a "B" fare and was only able to ensure my upgrade at time of booking on the flight via YVR. However, upon doing a KVS chaeck over the last few days R seats appeared on AC16 the non stop flight to YYZ. So, instead of getting home at midnight I now arrive at 6PM and can have dinner with my spouse.

The message is to keep checking the flights you book on as R space does REAPPEAR at times. Having a latitude ticket (which only cost me about $1K more than Flex at time of booking) makes a possible flight change pretty painless but it would help a flex flyer as well closer in if R reappears.

maradori, mtlfire and uggboy like this.
  2. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm off to YVR later this month. On the dates I'm looking Latitude on some flights is only 100$ or so more than Flex. I'm almost tempted to go that route and get the upgrade at booking and save ecredits as well.

guinnessxyz likes this.
  3. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm looking at flights to ORD in September and found one offering $606 in Flex and $655 in Z (o/w). Tempting!

4. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it Z getting cheap or Flex getting expensive :D

YULtide and guinnessxyz like this.
  5. Good question. I'm seeing some flights where that is the case. I think the capacity control software airlines now use also gives them a revenue model per flight. Thus, a flight that normally doesn't sell well in J will have reduced Z fares and Flex will be higher to make the revenue model work.

6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The latter. On YYZ-NRT Flex is approximately 2x Tango ... without being flexible!

7. That's true of Tango to Z but the difference from T+ to Z is "sometimes" minimal.

8. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. But T+/Flex has moved from being a small premium on T to being a small discount on Z. Sadly our corporate travel policy disallows any J purchase unless it's the cheapest fare available.

9. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ultimately I booked Flex. Latitude had gone to waitlist for upgrade and I wasn't interested in taking a chance to spend the extra and still not have it clear.

southender, guinnessxyz and YULtide like this.