R bucket availability -- R1 or R9 on same flight depending on connection?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, May 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    R_availability.png

Is this a bug or real? If I just look at the IAH-AMS flight, I see R/RN9 as well.

2. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it may be taking in consideration the first flight in the pair, ie UA 1277 in your case perhaps only has R1 available so it shows the AMS flight as R1.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Quick look confirms that this is correct. Thanks.

Has this always worked this way? I usually primarily care about the international leg and I believe this behaved differently in the past, but I am not 100% sure.

4. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. I have seen this behavior quite regularly for the last year... the international segment may have a huge amount of availability, but because the domestic segment may have far more limited availability, that more limited availability applies to the entire group of segments.

It's better to search for availability segment-by-segment as opposed to doing the entire route-path. More difficult for we end-users, of course.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Always is a long time. ;)

It has been this way since the PSS integration.

6. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has been this way since the fare bucket display was provided. I would find it more useful to see the buckets for each individual leg, but the only way to do that is to look at the flights on a non-stop (or multi-city) basis. I think the reason it displays this way is due to married segment logic, although by using multi-city you can often get fare buckets and fares that aren't provided by married segment inventory.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And on the eighth day, God created SHARES. (There's a reason why Genesis only covers days 1-7.)

desamo likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It's quite a misleading user experience, IMO. They might as well just show one set of buckets then. But I guess I won't make a stink else they take it away completely again ;)

9. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    A simple way to find this out is to do a search separately for the international leg and then the domestic connecting flight. This will let one discover the actual and real inventory. If a domestic first flight is R0, the international flight will likely also show R0 even if the real inventory for the international flight is R9.