Quoting long posts

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by philcape, Feb 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Argggh!! I've just seen this again: someone quoted a 30 line post before adding their 1 line reponse! [​IMG]

I have no idea what posseses such people or why they think this adds value. But there have been lots of suggestions about getting the software to help us be better BBurghers. So is it not possible to have a pop-up appear when anyone attempts to quote more than, say, 5 lines of text or 1 picture saying "Is it absolutely necessary to quote so extensively?" or something of the sort?

Preferably something far more annoying, or even insulting, than that - to give these blithely unconscous people pause for thought. Yes, I know it's a small irritation but the more of them we can eliminate...

SoFlyOn and Westsox like this.
  2. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully the Like Button will catch on and be used more instead of a quote.

kiwi likes this.
  3. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    One way to make that happen is for the admins to change "like" to another word perhaps more travel related. For example if it said "milepoint bonus", people might enjoy clicking!

4. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would really like to avoid insulting anyone on MilePoint, even if they do inappropriate things like this. I'm all for trying to make this a more civil society than, you know, that other site.

cheepneezy, kellio and Chimpy like this.
  5. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought that this was supposed to be a friendly forum for new members, talk like this is not going to encourage people to join.
    I do admit though a 30 line quote is more than excessive and may make it harder to find useful information.

6. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI, you can quote only a portion of a larger post by deleting all the extra lines of type that do not relate to your comment.

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Right. A friendly suggestion to trim down the quote or use a "like" next time is what I would prefer to see. Yes, an "are you sure" prompt would be OK, too, if the quote is much longer than the new text. But for now, we can do our part in educating new posters -- and setting an example by our own behaviour.

8. ACEDAD
    Original Member

ACEDAD Silver Member

Status Points:
    The more I think about this, the more I think "like" should be changed to "upgrade".

vbroucek and Gargoyle like this.
  9. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that often just "liking" is not enough. Very often it is necessary to add something and or it is necessary to quote in ones response to make sure that it is clear to what we are responding.
    Old good USENET had very good "etiquette rule" for this - you were supposed to quote only useful part of the OP and indicate that you cut out the rest and/or part by including [SNIP] like I did here and do regularly in other forums.

Suggestion for the dev team: Perhaps we could have nice little scissors icon for this?

philcape likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Back then we were all using 2400 baud modems, so every byte counted. But it's still a sound practice.

11. vbroucek
    Original Member

vbroucek Silver Member

Status Points:
    You must then be much younger than I am... I remember even slower ones!!!

Gargoyle likes this.
  12. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    come to think of it, my first was 1200, but my brother was using much earlier stuff- I don't recall the details, but he was friends with someone in Chicago's south loop who ran one of the (or perhaps the) first bbs.

I got my first computer around 1988, a trash 80, but it was a few years till I hooked up a modem.

ChgoBob likes this.
  13. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well they are specifically replying to that post. Without the quote other MPers might not know who he/she is replying to.

14. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    2400 baud! We had a Telebit Trailblazer for our company email/Usenet connection around 1990, before we upgraded to ISDN. Bloody expensive, but back then 18Kb/s over phone lines was lightning-fast.

Gargoyle likes this.
  15. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Au contraire. In the example I saw the post was all but irrelevant in terms of context. Just to fill eveyone in: the OP posted a preamble and a long list of favourite hotels and then asked members for their opinions. The response quoted the entire list and then said "My favoutite is Xxxx". On the same page. Before the discussion had gone off topic.

Likwise you quoted my entire post when a snippet would suffice. But I suspect you knew that. ;)

My example - and the response I've quoted even more so! - was not a place where the "like" button would have served. (Much as I endorse it and am liberally using it, it isn't a panacea.)

Oh, and the "insulting" suggestion was meant to be humorous.

16. philcape
    Original Member

philcape Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reasons why unnecessary quoting can be unhelpful:
    1. It clutters up the page unnecessarily, disturbs the conversational flow and so the thread becomes less easy to read.
    2. It acts as a red herring: you think there's a reason why it was done and you waste time before you realise it was entirely gratuitous. Or only referred to one small part of the large quote.
    3. It adds loads of dead inches when you want to print a thread to take with you on your next trip.
    4. It's inelegant. (And this inelegance anyone can avoid regardless of their language skills.)
    Those are mine. Even in ZA we now have passable internet speeds, so we can't whine about slow loading of BB pages. But I would imagine the IT objections these days would come from Blackberry users and others using tiny screens who would like communication to be as unpadded as possible.

17. rdp

rdp Active Member

Status Points:
    It is annoying to see someone quote a long post for no good reason. It would be nice if the forum software to pop up a note if someone quoted more than X characters or if the ratio of material quoted to response were very high, so that the poster would have to think about before massive quoting.

18. SoFlyOn
    Original Member

SoFlyOn Silver Member

Status Points:
    In a similar vein, I'd like to see (by default) images not appear on quoted posts.

19. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    ChgoBob and kiwi like this.
  20. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    horrible yes,

BUT there are rare occasions where it does end up saving information that is later edited/removed/etc (by poster obviously, not mod)