Bug Report Quote Alert Failure

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by sobore, Aug 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    If the post number is not included within the QUOTE tag by the user who quoted you, then no alert is generated and no up-arrow is included to the right of the name in the quote box.

If you look at the post that you linked to above, then you'll see that there is no up-arrow next to your name in the quote box. That indicates to me that the post number was not included with the quote tag.

To demonstrate the results of different syntax:
    [quote="sobore, post: 1511383, member: 574"]An alert WILL be created for this reply.[/quote]
    [quote="sobore"]No alert will be created for this reply.[/quote]
    [quote="sobore, member: 574"]No alert will be created for this reply.[/quote]

(I'll repeat each of these in additional posts below to demonstrate their effect to you, sobore.)

If a post number is included but corresponds to a post belonging to a different user, an up-arrow will show and an alert will be generated for the owner of the post that corresponds to the post number. This doesn't happen by the forum software, but it's a neat trick that can be done if one were to manually adjust the contents of the quote tag in a post.

Why does this problem happen?

The main problem, I believe, is in the smartphone apps for both iPhone and Android. When someone uses the app to quote someone, the app is not including the post number with the quote tag. So the app is not giving the necessary instructions to the forum software to trigger an alert to the person being quoted. It's not the underlying software's fault that the app is failing to provide the post number.

The other way that this can happen is if a user quotes you manually either by creating the quote with the editor's Quote button, by typing in the appropriate QUOTE tags from scratch, or by editing the tags which had been generated by the Reply button.

There are a few different viewpoints about this as a "bug":
    1) There is a bug in the smartphone apps. The apps should include the post number when a user quotes another post. (I would argue that this is a bug that should be fixed. However, there could be some technical reasons why it intentionally does not work this way. Or it could be that including the extra text makes the user experience less pleasant when entering a reply in the app.)
    2) If a user quotes someone by name but without actually referencing a specific post by number, then the forum software should alert the person if that username exists. (The forum software designer/developers could certainly argue that this isn't a bug since such syntax in the quote tags is not normally generated by the forum software -- unless the app is also their responsibility and they were to take the position that viewpoint #1 above is not a bug.)

Seeing this cause of this problem is difficult for most users since users cannot typically see the details of the quote tags in someone else's posts.

There is another thread about this trend already. I'll cross-reference that thread to this one in a moment.

sobore and mtlfire like this.
  3. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="sobore, post: 1511383, member: 574"]An alert WILL be created for this reply.[/quote]

4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="sobore"]No alert will be created for this reply.[/quote]

5. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote="sobore, member: 574"]No alert will be created for this reply.[/quote]

6. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Super genius :D

I wondered about those details in the quote tag.

SC Flier likes this.
  7. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points: