Quickest (Cheapest) Way to Gold

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by webdes03, Dec 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was reading the Gold vs. Silver thread and started to think deeper about what it would take to get myself to gold. It's no secret that Silver is really just an honorary title now and the perks really start with Gold. I just barely made Silver this year (34 PQS), but I've been flying more the second half of the year, and at this rate gold may be obtainable next year. With some long haul vacations planned with my SO, Gold would really add some benefits (Y+ at time of booking, etc.).

We sometimes hear stories of people that will knock out a couple long haul segments back to back to boost the mileage and get themselves closer to upgrading their status. For me, mileage has always been tough. Both times that I've made Silver were through PQS, not PQMs as most of my travel is domestic, with the exception of international vacation. My 34 PQS this year yielded just 18k in PQMs. Our trip to London was done on award miles so that didn't help add to the pool any either.

Certainly you could do a RTW in J and knock out your status nice and early, but we don't really have the time or money set aside for that. Before UA dorked around with the perks, Silver used to get you 1.5 PQS without having to buy a full fare ticket, but that's sadly gone now too.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    You sure about that??

If you're qualifying on segments there aren't many ways to accelerate the earning process. Segment runs are generally not particularly cost-effective but it could happen. Adding extra segments to your existing itineraries might work but it depends on where you are flying to/from and what the fares are on those routes.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did travel as Silver in January before the consolidation of UA/CO accounts and earned 1.5PQS on a K class ticket. Unless that was an error. I was Silver from the CO side prior to the merger, then they extended benefits through March to facilitate the merger. It was during that extension period that I saw the 1.5's post. It surprised me too, I just assumed it was a carryover from either UA or CO that was "fixed" when they combined the accounts.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pre-merger United gave a 25% redeemable mileage bonus to Premiers (silver), but no bonus segments. Were you perhaps rebooked due to irregular operations or something and your fare class changed to Y? That would explain the 1.5 segments.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    My DH and I flew to SEA just prior to the merger. I booked on UA and he on CO, as he had a GC he needed to use. He got 1.5 segments to my 1 (and more PQMs than I.)

6. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I qualify the way you do OP....

I was going to finish the year at 55.5 PQS, so I booked two round trip tickets Ord-ind-Ord for the same day (one segment in F)...

Kind of a waste of a day, but I couldn't end that close and be happy next year.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I looked at the rules on web.archive.org for Continental from a 2011 version of their website and don't see anything about elite bonuses for elite qualifying points (their term for segments, I believe). B fare class and up earn more than 1 point, but that's essentially the same as on United pre-merger.

8. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:

Good to know I wasn't seeing things...

I'd love to get to gold, it'd be a big jump from my 34PQS this year, which was why I had contemplated a few long haul trips to make it on PQMs.