Quick way to earn ~120k SPG points?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by lichenlt, Apr 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to book the Mystique resort in Santorini, GR for a honeymoon stay. It's a category 7 hotel and costs 35k points per night?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Couple of comments. First, congratulations on the wedding. Second, when do you need the points? I don't know of any way to get 120K points in a couple of months but you could start with the following (if you have not already done so):
    1. One of you get the SPG credit card and then refer the other person.
    2. Put all charges possible on the card.
    3. Use the mint, Serve and Amazon to help increase charges.
    4. Get the Membership Rewards card and transfer to SPG. - Not an especially good use of MR points but can be done. The possibility of this transfer also depends on how long you have to get the points, as getting MR points to post does take time.

Again, it all depends on how much time you have, if you are getting married this summer, you are probably out of luck.

Also, does Mystique have Cash and Points available? That would help minimize the point requirements.

Hope this helps.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some ideas:

1. Get the SPG Amex for sign-up bonus
    2. Get the SPG Amex for your fiance(e) for sign-up bonus and transfer points into one account
    3. If you have MR points, consider transfer

lichenlt and DeltaExpert like this.
  4. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    That resort is FAB but really difficult to get any deals to. They also offer nights at 20K per night but assume your travel dates are high season at 35K per. They say this property has limited participation so cash & points may not apply (I've never found a date when they did). 120K is a steep hurdle. As noted, Membership Rewards is a steep trade and while there are some 75K offers out there, even w/ fiance getting same offer that 150K will only convert to 50K SPG points and that's no better than getting SPG card direct with 25K bonus each.

What can you tell us about any other loyalty currencies you might have? Miles, balances and even other hotel or other points anywhere. There may be some horse trading among programs where the pieces can fit together. There may be some limited opportunities in the SPG Meeting Planner area which can be helpful, just need to know a bit more though please retain your privacy.

We'll all do what we can to get you there and started on a great life as a married person!

5. aitchly
    Original Member

aitchly Silver Member

Status Points:
    And add 2 SPG business cards to the mix

6. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Standard Cat7 off-peak award nights would be 30K -- not 20K.
    Cash & Points awards are not offered for any Cat7 properties.

The "Limited Participation" factor at this particular property is that award nights cost double since it is an all-suites property. (A very unfair award pricing practice by SPG, IMO.)

So award nights at Mystique actually start at 60K off-peak and 70K peak. On a cpp basis, it is one of the consistently worst redemption rates in the SPG program. A shame since it's a beautiful and rather unique hotel.

We had a great dinner there one night during our stay at Vedema. My recommendation if you want to stay in Oia would be to either fork out the cash for a stay at Mystique or choose a non-SPG hotel.

lichenlt likes this.
  7. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You sign up for personal and biz then refer spouse for both as well.

Assume you get the 25k deal (I can refer for biz if you can't find it) and 5k/referral, after the $15k spend/card you're looking at:
    25k biz x 2
    25k personal x 2
    5k referral x 2
    $15 spend x 4
    170k total *wood

And these are easily transferable between accounts with the same address on file.

EDIT: now that I think about it...it would be helpful if you told us what CCs you have already...that way we can make suggestions for other cards/transfer options.

lichenlt likes this.
  8. 1) You convince Randy to sell magazine subscriptions that earn 2500 SPG points.
    2) Buy 44 of them..

Then fly the Concorde.. wait no.. what was the question?

9. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get the SPG card and make some high dollar purchases at a place that refunds you with a check - as opposed to a refund on your card. I've heard Costco does this. Depending on your credit limit, two or three big purchases could get you all the points you need.

lichenlt likes this.
  10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Get SPG CC's as mentioned above, then buy bags of coins on an SPG card that you then deposit into your bank to pay the card off?

lichenlt likes this.
  11. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Randy, I didn't expect a comment from the management :p

Membership Rewards conversion seems too steep, I would rather use that for traveling internationally in premium cabins.

I do have some HHonors points, but I didn't find Hilton properties on that island. Other than that, I have a bunch of AA miles.

12. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Vedema will be closed when we are there in late October.

Any non-SPG high end hotel you could recommend? Thanks.

13. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    $60k spending in 6 months is too much for me, even with coins purchase. Plus, I don't know if AMEX would approve two cards to me at the same time, I just got their Delta Gold and got declined the Platinum a month or so ago.

My fiancée has a personal SPG now, but only has 20k something points.

14. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds doable, I'll check if Costco does this. Thanks Casey Friday.

15. Casey Friday
    Original Member

Casey Friday Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've heard they might have some nice diamond/platinum rings in the jewelry section. ;)

16. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes sense, good luck!

17. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Katikies comes up a lot as competition with Mystique. There are others, but I don't know them off the top of my head. You'll have to see which resorts haven't closed already for the off season. That late in the season, you should bargain for a discount if you're staying for a few nights. I see that Mystique is advertising a 4th night free promo rate. That late in the season, they might could offer better than that.

18. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dead...it DID work.

lichenlt likes this.
  19. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't see any information about refund by check on their website. Is this something I can ask for at a local warehouse when I return the item?

20. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see, too bad, this sounds like a great way to get points, lol

21. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    3 nights @684 euro/nt + 1 free night in their Allure suite = $2961 USD :(

22. thegasguru

thegasguru Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm familiar with the mint, but what is Serve, and how do you use Serve and Amazon to increase spend?

23. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Serve is a payment service that AMEX just launched, basically you sign up for you and your partner, then transfer money from your credit cards between these two accounts. Now it's free.

24. thegasguru

thegasguru Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the quick response. Help me out here: how would using Serve increase your spend (and thus your accumulation of spg points) any faster than just using your spg Amex card?

25. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if you stay another night, 4th night is "free." :) For such a late season stay, you could call the hotel directly and ask if they'd offer 3rd night free. Or could they confirm you into the Allure Suite at the Vibrant Suite price? Can't hurt to ask.

RACK rate on the Allure Suite is EUR 720 in October.
    2011 Rack Rate Chart