Quick Tips for friend on 7+ hour MX delay

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by ArizonaGuy, Mar 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't know the ins and outs of DL since I'm a US person. I have a buddy who is relocating to HNL and us currently stuck at SEA waiting for DL2237. Originally scheduled at 17:35, it's now listed for 00:30 and it's an MX issue. I don't know if there's an aircraft swap involved or what at this point. He got meal vouchers, at least.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or can provide more detail about the flight. I was also going to see if he's upgrade eligible and donate my miles for the segment. Assuming the stars aligned with fare class and availability (unlikely at this point, I'm aware), would this be possible at the gate with me on the phone with my friend?

2. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    If he is now booked in a K+ fare (KQHMBY fares) you should be able to use your DL miles to upgrade him. You would need to call Delta in order to do this.

Skyvillager likes this.
  3. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's an M fare. I can do this on the phone even though it's this close to departure? (GA was none too helpful, immediately said no when he went to the desk with me on the phone.)

4. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah if it is a M fare it can be upgraded, however I don't know if there if there is G/Z fare availability left. If not, insist that your friend gets at least wait listed for a mileage upgrade with your miles.

Skyvillager likes this.
  5. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    They're selling upgrades for cash, according to him. So should I call DL or have him bother the GA again?

6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call and request to use miles, and if not available then ask to be waitlisted

Skyvillager likes this.
  7. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI. Lovely DL2237 was delayed from 17:35 until 09:30 this morning, so far.

No go on upgrade. Phone rep said it was too late, system wasn't allowing her to do anything. GA was unhelpful to my friend when I told him to politely inquire about it with me remaining on the phone. Can't blame him, GA probably fed up with unhappy pax since he'd been there since 15:00 and it was 23:00 then.

Once the flight was delayed until this morning I made some more phone calls but every time the first agent transferred me to whatever line I needed to be on I got disconnected. Gave up, went to sleep. Now I can't reach my friend so not sure what's happening with him, if he got a hotel or what. I assume he did, since flight went MX and he was at a connecting point.

8. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    And now 2237 from the 17th is canceled. Joy.

9. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    sorry to hear that

10. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as a final entry to the story:

Looks like another aircraft was used and departed SEA for HNL at 13:00 as DL9587. Though sadly even right up to boarding time several empty F seats were never made available for mileage upgrades, annoyingly. Worked the phone and the gate with no success. Not that domestic F on a 753 is all that great but I could have spared the 15K miles and I was hoping to give this simple gift to my non-frequent flying friend.

At least he's in HNL now for a long term IT contract and staying in a high quality, furnished and deeply discounted corporate rate studio in Waikiki. The lucky sob. :)