Quick stopover in Bangkok

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by justplanenuts, Sep 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. justplanenuts

justplanenuts Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,

I have a long layover in a couple weeks (arrive at BKK 3PM, leave BKK 12:45 next day). I'm looking for suggestions on a Starwood hotel. I'm thinking the St. Regis, SGS, or Le Meridian, but I'm open to others. Trying to stay SPG though. I don't want to try and rush around to see the tourist sites, that will be for another trip, but I would like to wander some markets, eat and get a massage (or two :) ).

I'm fly out 1st TG so any advice on how early to arrive at BKK to enjoy the experience would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    -jpn

Not the right forum, but I'll also be in KG for a few days if anyone has any thoughts. First trip to both places.

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Le Meridian is convenient to transit and adjacent to the Patpong Night Market. Plus, the cash & points rates are pretty good generally.

Re TG first, give yourself an hour for the massage plus a bit of recovery time.

IDGflygirl, Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  3. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the same question sort of - is the First Class checkin area easy to find at Suvarnabhumi?
    Its mentioned here;
    http://boardingarea.com/blogs/onemi...-thai-airways-first-class-lounge-spa-bangkok/

As in when you take random basic transport to the airport would most drivers be able to find it without dumping you at the main checkin area?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never flown First on TG (or any other airline for that matter!) but I believe it's real simple at Suvarnabhumi - it's the first gate (Gate 1) at the arrivals area, and I believe there is a kerbside meet and check in kind of thing - seen lots of staff and important looking people around there ;)

Kalboz and iolaire like this.
  5. justplanenuts

justplanenuts Active Member

Status Points:
    Never stayed in Meridian. I was actually trying to talk myself into the Regis, but I have that booked in Singapore in Feb. The location sounds good if it's near the market as I really just plan to wander a bit for my time there. Do they treat Platinums pretty good there? Decent breakfast and all that?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd suggest the Sheraton Grand - if you don't have luggage you can take the airport train and transfer to the skytrain (although you do have to transfer to it at phaya thai and then change lines at Siam) which avoids the traffic jams - or just get off at Makkasan and take a taxi (about a mile or two). Cheaper but less nice is the Westin across the street. there is lots of shopping on the streets just outside and Central and Paragon shopping malls are a short skytrain ride away.

Leaving only an hour for 1st class massage is a mistake. They are often booked up and you may have to wait for an apt. plus they have a very nice food service available in the lounge.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Arrivals or departures or it is the same place? Thanks

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like HLC stated above, TG First is the first enterance at the departures floor of BKK ... you cannot miss it. To fully enjoy the experience, I'd leave the hotel no later than 9:00 AM (for the 12:45 PM departure. One hour full body massage, Thai food to order, and generally to enjoy the lounge.
    [​IMG]
    Royal THAI Airways First Class lobby at BKK​
    [​IMG]

uggboy and iolaire like this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Main Bangkok hotels in order of my preferrance are listed here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/which-hilton-property-in-bangkok.32636/#post-1320371

10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    That table looks just like mine :) champagne, computer and tom yum goong

Kalboz likes this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess we have many things in common ;)

12. HLC

HLC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oops! Sorry....Departures - as Kal said - can't miss it - first gate

iolaire likes this.