Quick... name a bar in Hawaii that doesn't serve Mai Tais

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Sep 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, since this is the United forum... It's of course the United Club at HNL. Proudly paraded into the club with my shiny new United Club card (thanks, Chase) planning to end this day trip to paradise with a Mai Tai or two...

"Sorry, sir, we don't do those anymore."

In other Mai Tai #fail news, on the flight to HNL this morning they had run out of pineapple sticks for the Mai Tais about an hour after take-off. I ordered my Mai Tai right after breakfast and apparently got the last one.

Looking at the napkin under my drink, it has this wonderful slogan:

"Planes change. Values don't. Your priorities will always be ours."

Apparently not when it comes to Mai Tais :(

boondr, Explore, JRZYSHAWN and 4 others like this.
  2. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    That club....SUCKS!

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's basically the same as all the other domestic clubs I have seen. I was hoping that it would distinguish itself a tiny bit by serving Mai Tais. It's not like it's difficult to make'm.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It distinguishes itself, like many others in the network, in having local beer available on tap.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't ask, because I didn't want a beer, but the only tap I saw was Bud or Miller Light. Maybe the label had fallen off.

I did end up getting my Mai Tai on the flight back (sans pineapple, which isn't that important to me... it just an interesting comment from the FA on the outbound flight that I got the last pineapple).

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They've had Kona in the lounge in the past. And I've never had a pineapple in my Mai Tai on board despite many sCO and sUA crews over the years in both F and Y.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's strange, I don't recall ever getting one without pineapple before yesterday. All my previous flights were sUA, the return yesterday was on a 738, though. And the one with pineapple yesterday had a plastic skewer with the globe logo on it.

(and yes, before someone says it, #firstworldproblem)

8. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mai Tai's were invented at the Trader Vic's restaurant in Oakland California. (Or at Don the Beachcomber's in Hollywood, depending on whose story you want to believe.) Its actual association with Hawaii is no closer than the imaginary link created by the Elvis Presley film Blue Hawaii.

Although I'm sure they must serve them at all of the big hotels and tourist bars, I've never been to a party or social gathering here in Hawaii where a Mai Tai was served. No one I know orders them when dining out, so it doesn't seem at all strange that they wouldn't serve them at anything less than a full service bar, which the United Club is not.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last flight from Hawaii on United, I asked the FA and she seemed confused by the question. "Mai Tais? We serve Mai Tais?"

10. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's my expectation, too, but only if you get one in F. In Y you get a plastic bottle.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure... but there's a reason why UA offers them on flights to and from Hawaii, no? "True Hawaiians" may look at that with disdain, surprise or confusion, but for many visitors it's associated with Hawaii (or Polynesia in general, perhaps).

So is it that much of a stretch to expect them at the United Club as well?

I pretty much never drink Mai Tais anywhere other than in (or on the way to) Hawaii. And it's not really important to me me personally (not a big alcohol aficionado)... it just struck me as a strange choice to make (presumably for the sake of cost savings). That's all.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't think I have ever had a Mai Tai in Y... in fact, I don't recall the last time I flew in Y to Hawaii. Oh, wait, I do... that was with my knees shoved up my nose holes in a coach seat with 28 inches of pitch on Rich International. ;)

13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    United's provisioning of Mai Tais has been screwed up for literally the entire year. All Hawaii flights of both subsidiaries are supposed to be provisioned with them, but for various reasons it's just not working out that way.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Another victim of SHARES, eh?

I'm kidding, I'm kidding... I hope.

15. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I still remember the Mai Tai hangover I had on Maui in 1982. I don't remember much about the night that caused it.

hulagrrl210 and EWR764 like this.
  16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    $5 poolside at the HR Maui from 3-5 PM. I was tempted to see how many I could drink.

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  17. higal
    Original Member

higal Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Mai Tais on UA are awful! They haven't had meyers dark rum floats for a long time - it's just not the same:(

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  18. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, don't even get me started on the "new" United Mai Tai. It's not only the float that is missing- it's just premixed Trader Vics dumped over ice with no aloha spirit or creativity whatsoever. I miss the days when you weren't quite sure what was in your drink as far as juice, liquor, jet fuel or otherwise, and no matter if it tasted good or bad, you were guaranteed to be "happy" by the time you landed.

The United Mai Tai always had a cherry, pineapple, and tiki dude.

[​IMG]

this example was taken from the thread on FT

I know I have a pic somewhere as well, along with a more extensive tiki collection, although if that was all from one flight, I'm impressed. :)

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I could be wrong but the TJ bottled Mai Tai from the ABC stores in Waikiki actually tasted better than the one I had on my two recent UA flights.

mht_flyer and hulagrrl210 like this.
  20. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know United did get rid of the Mai Tai a while back, but I guess so many people (including yours truly) complained enough about it so they brought it back. I see no reason why we couldn't launch a campaign to get the Meyer's floater back. As for the HNL United Club- that place might be a lost cause. I like the view of the airplanes from there, but that's about it.

Out of curiousity on your last flight(s), did they play the Halfway to Hawaii game? In May we had a pmUA crew and the FA said they weren't playing because of "negociations", but she gave me the prize (a Lonely Planet book) because we were "nice" :) . In July with a pmCO crew the FA I asked acted like she didn't know what I was talking about, but then said they weren't going to do it...I don't know if that meant that day or ever...

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, they did play the game on my flight a couple weeks ago (pmUA crew) and the price was a LP book. I haven't played in years myself, though.

22. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this article explains why some of us want to clarify, not dilute or confuse what is Hawaiian.

http://usat.ly/RXqIpb

desamo likes this.
  23. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I last went at the end of June. Pretty sure it was a CO crew, and they did the Halfway to Hawaii game.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, very interesting. I am all for getting rid of the coconut bras ;)

Misplaced Texan likes this.