Quick MileagePlus question from a rewards newbie

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by junebug3663, Jul 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. junebug3663

junebug3663 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi everyone! I have some points (~35,000) set to expire in Sept. and want to use them for a rental car in late July. I got through the entire process of choosing the dates and type of car to rent (cost about ~30,000 points) and it told me "You are not eligible to use miles for Hotel and Car Awards at this time. You may be eligible for other options such as newspapers, magazines, dining, and air awards. Please visit our Use Miles web page for more information."

I did not find any helpful info there. I spoke to a couple of people at United on the phone who told me I had to have a United/Chase Mileage Plus credit card in order to book a rental car with points, and that getting that card would take "30-60 days."

Does that seem right?

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe that redemption option requires the CC or elite status.

You can easily extend the life of your points with a transaction such as buying a song online. There's no reason to panic and spend the points before you're otherwise ready to do so.

Singapore Flyer likes this.
  3. junebug3663

junebug3663 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info! Is the credit card a good deal, generally?

And I'm not really panicking about them expiring, I'd just like to use them for this car rental! :)

4. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    That must be a spendy rental car - I'd value 30,000 UA miles at about $600.

5. junebug3663

junebug3663 New Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, it's a compact car in Seattle for four days at the end of July.

6. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're getting an abysmal value out of your miles. By all means extend your expiration date through any means instead - buy flowers, subscribe to a magazine, buy one song, or whatever, but don't blow 35k on a rental car... for a compact to boot?!

webdes03 likes this.
  7. Aditya Vyas
    Original Member

Aditya Vyas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am actually redeeming 26K miles for 6 days for compact car in Seattle as well. ( I get 2K ponts/day off for being 1 K). I believe it persons prerogative on how to spend miles

8. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    It certainly is. Enjoy your rental :)

flyforawg likes this.
  9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:

What kind of snotty response is that? It's a persons prerogative to jump off a cliff as well, but you will get tons of friendly advice an why you should not do so.

You could have said something like; "I'm a bit short on cash and rentals in SEA lately are outrageous (they just happen to be right now), so even though I realize I am spending a few too many miles, it is a choice I have to make". Or whatever your reason is. We've all been there. If you don't want the advice, stay off the board.

Pat+ likes this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You know, I have been looking at rates in SEA. The same thing exists in ORD. Very high rates on rental right now. I know this is off subject, but what I did to defeat the high ORD rates is I booked a car at the Budget office in Elk Grove (a $25.00 cab ride) returning to ORD. The ORD-ORD rate for a week was over $500. The ELK GROVE -ORD rate was $253. Ka-Ching!!! YMMV, but do a zip code search for renatl locations around SEA, you might luck out as I did.

snod08 likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Roughly the same as this one.

avflyer likes this.
  12. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I'm just a bit too feisty today. I just see a member giving some solid advice and some other guy kinda rejecting it like it was't his business. I'm very grateful to get good advice from you guys and when someone just shoves it back in your face with a hot-button word like "prerogative" the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No worries...we all have our moments. :)

I also wouldn't make the redemption at that price point but sometimes people are points-rich and cash-poor. Or for other reasons the metrics work that way. We all have our views on what the best redemption is but there are plenty of times where I've booked a coach award and thought it a great value, despite the oft-repeated refrain that premium cabins are the only way to truly maximize points.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  14. mooeyjc

mooeyjc Active Member

Status Points:
    Certainly it is person's perspective on how to spend those hard earned miles.
    But since you are here at the forum, the general advice would be spend it wisely, isn't it?
    Car rental rate is quite high these days, if it is too much to paying out of the pocket, then redeeming those miles make sense. As others have stated, those miles could be redeemed at a much better value elsewhere.
    Go through some shopping portal and buy some cheap stuff to add the activity to your mileage account, your mile will not expire. You could always save them for a later redemption.

15. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have certainly been there. Mucho points and not-so-mucho dinero.

16. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I shudder at the mere mention of the word, I've always had tremendous luck with Priceline for car rentals on a name your own price deal...

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  17. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many good ways to get discount rates on personal rentals. But, if one finds the value there to burn miles then they should burn miles.

Valuation isn't objective, as much as many might prefer to think it is.

I mean, personally I'd save my miles for the calendar full of puppy pictures that United is apparently rolling out later today. But that's just me. ;)