Quick EWR question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Photonerd71, Feb 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I try to avoid this place like the plague I have found a decent deal for a late winter vacation but it goes through EWR :(

The flight from EWR leaves at 7am. I have the option if either arriving at 8pm the night before and grabbing hotel and getting up and doing the whole security mess again OR arriving at 1:15am and pulling an all nighter and just hanging out at lovely EWR overnight. (This does not really bother me)...question is...will I be able to stay behind the velvet rope of security between flights or will they kick me out and I will have to play the TSA game all over again?

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would simply arrive at 8PM and stay in a hotel for the night.
    Much better chance of you making the early morning flight in case of IRROPS on that 1:15AM flight

mht_flyer, Phudnik and HeathrowGuy like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Terminal C is open overnight inside security IIRC. I wouldn't do that going into a vacation, but that's more a personal choice.

mht_flyer, 8MiHi and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thanks for the replies. I'm coming from IAH so many flight choices to EWR. Guess I should just open the wallet and get a room at the marriott right at the airport. (I like the idea of just having to walk to the gate).

Then again I might just pay a little more and go via MIA on AA.

MSYgirl likes this.
  5. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the Marriott is on airport grounds I don't believe you can technically walk to the terminal from the hotel. There's a few fences blocking a direct path and no sidewalks on the streets.

Stick to the shuttle.

And, despite the bad rap, EWR isn't really terrible mainline to mainline or O/D'ing.

6. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm guessing MIA wouldn't involve an overnight? Is the fare difference less than the cost of the room?

7. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    It is $865 via EWR on UA and $1250 via MIA on AA. I can do it in one shot via MIA if I want to leave IAH at 6am. (I do have a bunch of Hilton points I can use for an overnight if needed).
    The main thing I keep going back to is the almost 9000 eqm's I'll get on the UA route. (Will be paid ticket up front). This (along with the 3 other flights I will do and my 4k flex eqm's I have in the bullpen) will just about give me silver for the year. I know most people on here look down at silver but, if I can get it w/o putting much effort (MR's) I will prob take advantage of it. At least I would be on the upgrade list (having very flexible travel times did help me get a few in 2012) and the 25% bonus miles can add up.

8. bmg42000
    Original Member

bmg42000 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Go through EWR and get a hotel.

snod08 likes this.
  9. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool post. You used "quick" and "EWR" in the same sentence!

MSYgirl and ssullivan like this.
  10. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    Thinking I will. For an extra $10 (or so) I can arrive in Newark at 4pm and get a full nights rest before some tropical fun.

Thanks for the info and tips.

8MiHi and MSYgirl like this.
  11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    The hotel closest to the airport is the Marriott. Walking distance from A.

Flyer1976 and MSYgirl like this.
  12. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since you have HHonors you should note there are several Hilton affiliated hotels by the airport. Most have shuttles to the airport and to Jersey Gardens Mall - a shopping experience notable for its loud and boisterous crowds as well as significant tax breaks - none on most clothing and half of Jersey's 7% sales tax on most everything else. It is common to see travelers from many nations shopping there waiting for their connections while losing their minds and blowing their budgets...

13. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    I just didn't want to have to catch a shuttle that early for a 7am flight. ;). I'm not the biggest morning person, I'm usually good anytime after say 7 or so.

8MiHi likes this.
  14. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have spent a full year at all levels of elite status over my years of traveling and a low effort silver status is worth it. Further, getting upgraded with that status really makes the FFUD (frequent flyer upgrade dance) a heartwarming event.

Photonerd71 likes this.