Quick Asian Roadshow: Tokyo and Seoul

Discussion in 'Asia' started by NYBanker, Mar 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Last month, I did a quick roadshow through Tokyo and Seoul. The trip included AA's first class going to Tokyo, ANA's economy going to Seoul, and Korean's business class (A380) coming home. I stayed at the Okura in Tokyo, and Grand Hyatt in Seoul.

The full trip report is posted here: http://www.sitinfirst.com/tag/asia-roadshow-2012/

Hope you find it helpful.

HiIslands, sobore, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  2. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the report NYB.

This was my favorite part as it revealed an aspect of your psychology I did not know. I admire your determination.

The bar refrigerator door holding the (simulated) champagne was locked, but the doors with the beer were unlocked. I was able to reach in through the beer cabinet to get out the bottle of champagne – and enjoyed a few mimosas before I departed.

3. vermeerusa

vermeerusa Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for sharing the beautiful report. I am apalld by the abysmal quality and service of AA in first class. Shameful, really. I am going to use my AA miles on JL first (never tried) or CX first ( which I like a lot) for my next trip to Japan. Glad you liked the Okura - a favorite also of the designer/fashio/creative crowd. The lobby is always spectacular and I stay in the renewed main building rooms. Lately I prefer to stay in Shibuya, which is more central for my activities and needs. I like the cerulean towers hotel, especially on the high floors. Excellent value for money. Give it a look!

4. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Okura was the favorite of the designer/fashion/creative crowd -- in the 1960s. They have long since moved on to newer, more luxurious hotels.

5. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed your photos of the Hotel Okura. Even thought I am a frequent visitor to Tokyo, I'd never stayed there. My curiosity about the hotel stems from its prominent role in Haruki Murakami's most recent novel "1Q84". If you haven't read it, you might find it good airplane reading.

RichardInSF likes this.