Queston on Routing / Pricing

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by NDFAN 2, Nov 22, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I see MRs posted for example - SFO-BOS for $219 AI. Being based out of ORD what is the best strategy for getting as close to the SFO-BOS fare? Are you basically stuck with just buying a one way ticket to SFO and then another one way from BOS back to ORD? I know you can try the multi city feature but wanted to see if someone else had any other ideas. Thanks!

2. ossipago

ossipago Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes you can't. It's one of the downsides of living in a hub city - you actually end up paying more a lot of times, unfortunately.

Titans26 likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Positioning costs can kill a deal. I'm in NYC which often makes positioning a bit easier but even still when a great deal comes along I have to consider the impact of positioning to be able to understand the full price of the deal.

It is also possible in some cases to book a deal with a connection in your home town and accidentally forget to take the last flight, but it is a bad idea to do that too often or to do it with checked bags.

4. Titans26

Titans26 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usually do a 12.5K one way award for positioning, if needed.

Your positioning flight price depends on how badly you need the miles. If your trying to achieve a certain elite status level and it's close to the end of the qualifying year or you need miles for an F/J international award ticket it may be best to pay the additional cost for a positioning flight to reach your goal.

If there aren't any immediate goals you need to achieve it would be best to look for flights originating from ORD, your home airport, ex: ORD-SJU, ORD-HNL.

Sign up for airfare alert services to receive low fare alerts or unadvertised discount fares. Always calculate your CPM to determine your best options. Your CPM may be lowest by taking a ORD originating flight instead of purchasing a positioning flight to catch a super low fare, $218.00 SFO- BOS.

If you have status and ask the agent nicely they will reroute a non stop SFO - BOS to SFO - ORD - BOS, if seats are available, free of charge.

I've missed non stop flights on purpose then asked to be put on a connecting flight which connected in my desired city. Of course you can only do this on your return flight.

Also, you may find less expensive positioning fares by flying from MKE instead of ORD.

Good Luck and safe travels!

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

ossipago likes this.
  5. NDFAN 2

NDFAN 2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    ;

Thank you Titans 26.

I had a quick question:

What site do you use for airfare alerts? Is this just the airlines site?

Great tips- thank you again.