Questions regarding departing EZE on AA F

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by jfhscott, Oct 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will depart EZE on the 11:40 p.m. flight on a Sunday in January. I'll be in F.

First, I am considering an Iguassu Falls-AEP Lan Argentina flight arriving at 7:45 p.m. that same day - will only have carryons. Various internet sources indicate this is may be a bit aggressive.

Was wondering if (1) the fact that it is a Sunday night and (2) I will have access to whatever benefits of being in F (checkin, and perhaps - but I do not know - expedited exit customs, security, etc.) will mitigate things such that I can expose myself to the risks).

I'd appreciate hearing of others' relevant experiences.

OceanBreezes, marcwint55 and Gaucho like this.
  2. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew F out of EZE a few months back and while you get priority checkin, you do not get expedited through customs or security. These lines can get very long, especially in the high season.

The Admirals Club at EZE is truly a zoo, too.

OceanBreezes, marcwint55 and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    The AA Admirals Club in EZE is indeed a Zoo... and now, its been moved (temporarily they say) to a different area of the terminal so its about a 150 yard walk from the original location that is right next to the AA gates.

OceanBreezes and marcwint55 like this.
  4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When is high season?

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Winter in America is summer in Argentina.

OceanBreezes likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are flying into Argentina on a US passport, you will get soaked for over $100.00 to enter the country. If you have any other passports, I would use them.

7. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    January, which the OP mentioned, would qualify.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I believe it's actually $160, and it's a reciprocal visa fee - meaning you'd not have to pay it if the US government dropped the visa fee for Argentinians entering the US.

Somewhere out there in cyberland are a bunch of Argentinian FFers who are lamenting the fact that the US government is fleecing them of $160USD every time they go to the US. ;)

OceanBreezes and dhammer53 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct, which is why I used my UK passport to enter instead of my US passport. The lines were also much shorter. If I remember correctly the only countries required to pay were the US, Canada and Australia.

10. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I concur with the length of lines, particularly going through immigration upon exiting the country. Given the number of flights between 6p and 10p, this will be the major delaying factor...other than if one's inbound flight is delayed. Also agree Admiral's Club at EZE is a zoo and probably the worst in the system...at least that I've experienced. SCL is much nicer though not as nice as NRT's. However, my flight was departing from Gate 3 which was at the other end of the terminal from the AC, so I decided to use the smaller but nicer Iberia club next to that gate.

11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, $160 from other sources I have been consulting.

BUT

(1) it is good for 10 years (I have 8.5 years left on my current passport, and apparently, the validity gets stamped onto the passport.

(2) soon, and I think prior to my trip, payment will be online prepayment, and subject entrants will produce a receipt upon entry. Dunno if this will expedite anything.

12. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upon initial arrival into EZE without a visa, you are channeled into a separate lane where the visa is issued. From there you are told to use one of the regular immigration agents. While this line is generally shorter than the main lines, the wait for that agent can be lengthy. One can purchase a cheaper one-entry visa, or the multi-entry which is good for the life of your passport (not necessarily 10-years if you have to replace the passport against which the visa is registered).

zpaul likes this.
  13. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:

FWIW, the "reciprocity fee" is not a visa, just a fee to enter the country through EZE for US, Canadian, and Australian citizens. Also, while it's cheaper to get a visa ($50 vs. $160), don't forget the documentation required, not to mention the time and effort, to acquire a visa at the Argentinean embassy/consulate.

zpaul likes this.
  14. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can fly to MVD and take the ferry to EZE to avoid it :) Though you spend more time on the boat. Pretty trip though.

zpaul likes this.
  15. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd agree "agressive" (tight) but not impossible.
    I'd suggest a seat near the front of your Iguassu-AEP flight.
    I'd suggest having your AEP-EZE sorted in advance, if possible, and I'd suggest a taxi , especially if it can be pre-booked. . Yes, the Manuel Tienda Leon bus is MUCH cheaper, but you're crunched for time.
    I would estimate a solid hour in getting from AEP to EZE.
    The AA F dedicated check-in lane downstairs usually moves quickly. But, as posted, once you go upstairs, it's queues that can be long, in exiting the country you'll have two to go thru---you'll go thru one for customs/immigration then another for security. You won't have much, if any, time to "enjoy" the lounge, but also as posted, the A/C at EZE is not something to be "enjoyed" and you wont' be missing much.

zpaul likes this.