Questions on booking award ticket with Delta skymiles on partner KE

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by rookie10, Jan 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tried booking a ticket out of ATL to ICN on KE 34 and return on KE 33. The dates are not blackout dates but the Delta rep quoted me 200k for the trip in business. I thought it was suppose to be 120k? Is it because of my domestic portion of the flight? Also, is there a way to book another trip to Hong kong using the same ticket. For example ATL-ICN-HKG-ICN-ATL? If possible I would like to visit for a few days during the middle of my trip. I called Delta 3 different times the first time I was told 120 skymiles but at the time I didn't have exact dates, the second time after giving my dates and put on hold for a while I got disconected the last one was I got the dates but the award ticket was 200k. One more piece of info I will be flying out of RDU.

2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have any DL segments, those will have to be at the low level. My guess is that your RDU-ATL is at the medium F level and that's inflating the award.

Look online JUST for the RDU-ATL segment and see if you can find it at low level. If not, look at coach -- it's only 500 or 600 miles in Y, but saves you 80K pesos.

You're allowed one stopover, so you could visit HKG either at the beginning or end of your trip, but you can't do ATL-ICN (stop) - HKG (dest) - ICN (stop) - ATL.

misterbwong and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Daemon14, I'll call Delta back tomorrow and try that!

4. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called Delta today, got disconnected again after spending 10 minutes with an agent. Make sure they get your telephone at the beginning just in case. Booked my ticket but it cost 152,500 skymiles, did not include HKG and just decided to do R/T. Again thought it should be 120 so I put a hold on it until I can figure out why. Agent didnt know. My domestic flights are coach economy N and the KE flight is O class. Is O stand for award business?

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    120,000 + 32,500 = 152,500 miles. You have one low and one medium economy segments.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you MSPeconomist. That would explain it.

7. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see that math, but is that what's actually SUPPOSED to be happening according to the stated award charts? Shouldn't at least the low domestic economy segment be included in the mileage for the Asia award redemption? I can maybe understand the 20k being added for the medium-level domestic segment, but why is the 12.5k for the low segment being tacked on?
    To me, the most fair way of pricing these would be to just tack on the incremental differences involved. For example: low Asia = 120k, which should include your domestic flights to/from the int'l gateway. If you have to do a single medium domestic economy segment instead of a low economy segment, it should be 120k + 7,500 (127.5k total) because of the difference in the one domestic leg (20k vs. 12.5k). But I certainly understand that's not how it works ever... just saying that's what I think makes the most logical sense for consistent pricing.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Miles for the low domestic segment are included because DL does not offer any true one way awards; one ways price the same as RTs.

9. KVS Tool

KVS Tool Z Representative

Status Points:
    The pricing principle is consistent for both Regular and Award bookings: There has to be availability for a desired Fare/Award Level across all segments. Otherwise, you need to split the journey for pricing purposes.

In your scenario, you are, essentially, purchasing (and paying for) 2 tickets: RDU-ATL, ATL-RDU (priced at the Medium Level) and ATL-ICN, ICN-ATL (priced at the Standard/"Low" Level).

TheTravelAbstract likes this.
  10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see examples of that happening, so I understand that's how it works. But what I guess I'm not sure of is how the pricing engine(s) decide where to split the journey.

11. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are no one-way awards, only round trips, in terms of Delta pricing. The KE award, plus domestic connections if you can get them at low, is 120k. If you can't get low connections, the KE award still stands alone as it is only available at low, but you need to add a domestic award to connect to it. The cheapest available domestic award is low/med, so that gets added on.

A "one-way" for just the offending medium award leg would actually price out higher, as it would cost 40k.

rookie10 and autolycus like this.
  12. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I mean, I see it's working that way, but it just doesn't seem like it SHOULD work that way. :)

13. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    How is it that if I book thru Delta with coach domestic and business on KE my cost is 79 dollars and 152,500 miles. My wife's ost is 318 and 125,000 miles on business thru KE skymiles plus KE cannot find any low award availabilty on Delta? Everything is 25k at the lowest going or coming fromATL to RDU. Doesn't make sense since one part of my domestic leg is 12,500 and the other is 25,000. Does the award value change? If so and it drops is there a way to get 1 segment or both added to the same itinerary? BTW we both have the same itinerary and I have not purchased her domestic ticket yet.

14. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could you rephrase? It's very difficult to interpret what you are saying and get a clear picture of your situation.

rookie10 likes this.
  15. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure, sorry for the confusion. My wife and I booked rt flights from RDU to ICN, I used Delta Skymiles she used Korean Skypass. I was able to secure my ticket with the cost of 152,500 miles plus taxes and fees for 79 dollars. On her end she was was only able to secure the same flight rt from ATL-ICN-ATL for 125k and 318 in taxes and fees. The KE agent could not locate avail on Delta's end from RDU-ATL and ATL-RDU. I have checked Delta site and do not see any low award flight going or coming from RDU-ATL, they are all 25k and up. Which is odd since one part of my flight seems booked for 12,500 miles. My wife has confirmed her flight minus the domestic leg of the trip. That leaves me to purchase her rt ticket.

16. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    1) with no low availability, your ticket will price out above 120k with skymiles, and hers (booked via KE) will not be able to add the domestic segments. Pricing will be at whatever KE charges, apparently 125k + $318. These two are consistent with each other.

2)It's not clear how you're searching for flights, but 25000 *is* low in coach, as all pricing is reported round-trip. If you are seeing viable options at 25k, then they should be able to be included on your award while keeping the price at 120k, and KE should be able to book them as well.

If you've already confirmed, probably makes just as much sense to pay for the tickets and not worry about change fees.

rookie10 likes this.
  17. rookie10

rookie10 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Mattsteg for the info. I used Delta's site to find award availability and it was 25k each way. I do plan on just purchasing the tickets, just concerned that when it comes to baggage since she will have a separate domestic itinerary she may be charged for her luggage.

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you were searching one-way, then the one-way award prices at the roundtrip price of twice the leg cost - a round-trip containing 2 legs that price out as 25k when searching 1-way will price out at 25k.

She will be charged for luggage unless she has a reason not to. Since she is on different tickets for the domestic and international, make sure you provide for a generous layover in atlanta in case things go wrong (delays/cancellations/etc.)