Questions from a newbie.

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by TNTraveler, Aug 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TNTraveler

TNTraveler Member

Status Points:
    I hope it's ok to ask these questions in this forum.

I have been traveling domestically pretty often for the past several years, driving to each destination (7,000 miles last year on the rental car on a trip to Arizona) and I have been looking into traveling internationally. Which is a whole new ballpark to me. I'm unsure of the best places internationally to visit as a newbie to international travel and how do I know I am getting the best airline rate?

I've been looking into different airline tips and tricks to get the lowest fare possible.

Here is an example of what I have been able to find.

I looked into flying from Atlanta to Dublin which was around $800 rt a person give or take a few $.
    Flight stopped over in Newark with an 8 hour layover.
    Checked from Newark to Dublin and found the tickets $510 rt per person.
    Renting a car and driving to Newark would be cheaper then the tickets to fly from Atlanta to Newark.

Am I on the right track or are there better ways for me to find the best airfare?

Thanks for reading!

2. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you really want to spend 12-13 hours in a car, then get on a plane for another 7 hours. The last thing you want to do is miss you flight, so you'll need to add extra buffer in case of traffic, etc. Lots of things can happen on a drive that long, so you'll want to plan ahead. That means driving up the day before your flight - which means extra $$ for a hotel room. And don't forget the cost of gas and tolls, which could easily run you $70 - $100 each way (assuming your rental car gets 30mpg and gas is $3.39/gal) - plus at least another $60 bucks for the rental r/t (assuming you find one heck of deal). So any money you save on airfare will mostly be spent elsewhere, and it doesn't even factor in what your time is worth.

If you're able to find an alternate airport close to your home with cheaper airfare than flying out of ATL, that might be worth considering. But driving to EWR from ATL will probably cost you more than you'll save.

If your travel dates on flexible, Kayak.com provides some pretty good and easy to understand search tools. With the "My Dates are Flexible" option, you can view prices for itineraries plus or minus a few days of your desired travel dates - or you can look at prices across an entire 30 day period. There's even an option to include nearby airports.

Good luck.

3. TNTraveler

TNTraveler Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info. I am in East TN, my local airport is McGhee Tyson, I checked my "hypothetical" but possible dates for this trip and there wasn't a flight to EWR near the dates I picked. The way I figured it might be cheaper is I'm travelling in a group of 3. So close to $800-900 extra to fly from ATL to EWR just seemed to be way to much to me. But like I said I am a newbie to flying. My last flight was back in 2000 and I'm sure things have changed since then. :)