questions for oneworld experts??

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by jonspencer, Nov 7, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been flying Qatar recently because Emirates pricing for flights out of Dubai is nothing less than extortion :eek:

Qatar has a Globetrotter promotion where you get 100,000 points but you also get an one-tier upgrade, that is the real deal. So my understanding is when I go from Gold to Platinum, I am also Emerald on oneworld :D

?? - so as an example I just booked a flight on Cathay to Manila in early 2016, once I am Emerald can I try to upgrade with AA or Qatar points?

future flights will mostly be on QR, I am interested in any tips on how to get the most out of oneworld, I have zero experience with airline alliances as I have flown Emirates almost exclusively for 10 years

thank you in advance for any tips

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Generally speaking upgrades only happen using the points of the airline on which you are flying. So if flying on Cathay then you'd need Cathay points to upgrade. There are a few exceptions (AA/BA/IB) but they are very much the exception, not the norm.

jonspencer likes this.
  3. kevyeow

kevyeow Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi...actually you can use your QR points to upgrade for your Cathay Pacific flights, as it's part of One World Alliance, as I just use my MH points last week to upgrade to Business Class from Hong Kong to Taipei. You can call QR for your upgrade. Thank you!

jonspencer likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No, you can not. Redeeming MH miles for upgrades only works on MH metal: http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/my/en/enrich/redeem-enrich-miles/malaysia-airlines.html. QR points similarly can only be used for upgrades on QR metal. Being part of the same alliance does not mean that the upgrades are transitive like that. http://www.qatarairways.com/PrivilegeClub/redeem_qmiles.page

Mrp Alert likes this.
  5. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    now being Emerald in oneworld, I begin to see the value from codeshares, something not all that common with Emirates outside their Qantas deal

I was searching for a flight from Frankfurt to Barcelona and wanted to book with a oneworld partner, Iberia flights were possible but poor schedule for me, really did not want to fly BA with a stop in London etc :eek:

so after checking kayak, expedia and several airline sites, I finally found the flight I liked best from the beginning on Vueling with a BA codeshare

be interesting to see how it all goes down, will enjoy getting mileage + BA lounge access on what is basically a low-cost carrier

Pizzaman likes this.
  6. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    You'll only get mileage if crediting to BA EC. It's a commonly missed gotcha that flights marketed by OW partner but not operated by OW typically don't earn (except to the "home" program of the marketing carrier). E.g. This will not earn Aadvantage mileage.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
    jonspencer and Wandering Aramean like this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the note above about points earning I'm not certain that you are eligible for lounge access in FRA. http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/lounge-access clearly says that the flight must be operated by BA, not marketed by BA, for access. https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/ also excludes Vueling.

okrogius likes this.
  8. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    this is why I posted here, trying to figure out how OW works to my advantage :eek:

the BA (Vueling) flight is a short one-way trip, so not greatly concerned either way but from the QR website it seems the mileage should go to my Privilege account

the lounge access is of marginal value as the flight is early, IC Frankfurt has an excellent breakfast in their Club lounge and is 15-20 minutes from the airport

9. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.qatarairways.com/sites/PrivilegeClub/oneworld_alliance.page
    "Earning Qmiles and Qpoints: Privilege Club members can earn Qmiles and Qpoints on booking classes for flights marketed** and operated*** by any oneworld airline."

http://www.qatarairways.com/Privile...WAYS&locale=en_gl&category=1oneworld Airlines
    "Earn Qmiles & Qpoints when flying on British Airways marketed* flights that are operated** by any oneworld carrier and oneworld affiliates."

As long as the operating carrier is OW, then you do earn miles - based on the earning chart of the marketing carrier. If the operating carrier is not OW, then you only get miles if there's a specific partnership (and thus generally the codeshare of your mileage program).

10. ikazem

ikazem Active Member

Status Points:
    Using award points for flying BA, you are requested to pay almost 30% of the actual cost of the ticket. Is this fair?!

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe not, but unfortunately many European carriers charge the misnamed "fuel surcharge" on award tickets, and as you noticed, it can be steep!

12. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately came in when the fuel price went sky high, and hasn't been removed.
    Generally awards in premium cabins represent much better 'value' as a result but are harder to get