Questions for a live chat with Suzanne Rubin - President, AAdvantage program

Discussion in 'A Conversation With...' started by milepoint, May 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milepoint

milepoint Admin

Status Points:
    We are thrilled to announce another guest in our "A Conversation with ..." live chat series, featuring some of the most prominent leaders in the travel industry.

Join us and our special guest Suzanne Rubin, President, AAdvantage program, on Tuesday, June 19 at 7 p.m. MDT for this live Milepoint chat event.

You are invited to pre-submit questions in this thread. While we can't guarantee all of the questions posted in this thread will be asked during the event, pre-submitting a question presents an additional opportunity to get your question heard.

To avoid duplication and maintain the readability of this thread, posts will not be displayed until approved by a Milepoint administrator. Please limit your posts to questions only, as general comments will not be approved.

For more information regarding this event and to signup for an email alert when the chat is about to begin visit:

http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/events/

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any thoughts around adding the ability for non-elite members to upgrade to ‘main cabin extra’ using AA miles?

3. chuck1

chuck1 New Member

Status Points:
    As a long time loyal EXP, do I need to be concerned that my EXP benefits (such as upgrades) are going to be harmed by AA offering EXP status to UA 1K members? As it is, my upgrades hardly ever clear at the 100 hour mark anymore even on wide open flights.

4. chuck1

chuck1 New Member

Status Points:
    Why does AA choose to award a higher priority to connecting passengers on the upgrade stand-by list within the same Aadvantage status rather than time of request? In other words, why does an EXP connecting at DFW to DCA have a better chance with their UPG1T code rather than a local DFW customer with their UPG1 code. Does it have to do with a captive audience at the hub vs the increased competition for the connecting customer?

5. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will it ever be possible to transit Asia Zone 1 or Asia Zone 2 on a single North America to South Pacific award?

6. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As I mentioned here, I'm curious whether AA has any plan on expanding reciprocal benefits between Admirals Club and Alaska Board Room?

Being SEA-based, I would love to be able to use the AS BR, especially when flying AS.

kacrane and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  7. Why doesn't AA allow my miles tracking website to track my miles?

daemon14, Matt555555, adl73x and 2 others like this.
  8. swag
    Original Member

swag Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my question:

The MCE announcement said "AAdvantage Gold® members will also have complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats through December 31, 2013.". As a Gold, I'm naturally disappointed at the likelihood of having to pay for these seats starting in 2014. Is there any chance of making the complimentary access permanent? I'd be satisfied even if EXP & PLT have first crack, for example, by not allowing GLDs to select them until check-in.

loudnotes and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  9. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    All partners use U class for 2 cabin award ticketing but, AA uses Z in the US and is a problem when trying to connect a US domestic flight to international partners. Any chance AA will switch to U for 2 class flights?

druiddation and iloveawardtravel like this.
  10. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will AA ever allow upgrades on award tickets?

Eloy Fonseca Neto and garyst16 like this.
  11. sel

sel Active Member

Status Points:
    Are you aware of the amount of ill-will that Cartera Commerce, using the name "AAdvantage eShopping", generates against the AAdvantage program? Could any other AAdvantage partner so consistently treat AAdvantage members unfairly or with indifference in your name without some action on your part? Will you take some action to fix this problem?

12. bseller

bseller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure I'm not the only one "thinking" this, but can you discuss any specifics of the WHY behind the recent 1K/EXP status match?

13. Roadrunner7

Roadrunner7 New Member

Status Points:
    I am nearing 5 million miles on American. It occurs to me that, at some point, folks like us should get Executive Platinum status. I realize it's precious, but there is no way that I can fly 100,000 miles a year and not have my wife divorce me.

cpic, sc801 and Eloy Fonseca Neto like this.
  14. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another question for Suzanne,

What was the background of the removal of X/R inventory from ExpertFlyer? Can you elaborate the following statement:

Also, does this mean more transparency of the upgrade list? Perhaps making it somewhat "public" like UA and DL have been doing?

pnoeric likes this.
  15. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Burbank, Burbank, Burbank!!! When are you going to bring back Burbank??? From my perspective, most of the flights I flew to and from DFW were full. Can you explain the decision behind pulling out of BUR?

Max M likes this.
  16. Eloy Fonseca Neto
    Original Member

Eloy Fonseca Neto Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to ask her about the poor availability of miles redemption between Brasil and US, even trying to book 330 days in advance there is no availability in some flights, and also if she has a plan to extend the benefits of its frequent flyer like new benefits before, during and after the flight!

17. longhorns

longhorns Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA claims that it prefers bookings made online. However, if I try to use miles, I get a notice that AA doesn't fly there and I have to call telephone reservations. (Example: Hong Kong) [Hello, Oneworld!] If I try to book online by paying cash (A miracle!), I can book trips from DFW to those places where AA doesn't fly. AA can let me do it online. Also, when I book both of us in the same call with the same Locator Code, I still have to pay the telephone fee twice. Is this all a scheme to make more revenue?

18. MJ-bos

MJ-bos Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will SWUs ever be usable on joint-venture routes operated by BA, IB, JL?

19. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since AA is doing it's best to convert United members, is there any possibilty that lifetime EXP might become part of the program in the same way that lifetime global services is with United?

20. dsg10715

dsg10715 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Suzanne, curious about the dilution of the EXP with the recent extensions of the status matches, eVIP's etc. What's the strategy here for AA?

21. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I posted in another thread.

Although it is kinda selfish of me, I would love to see something for us long-time members (15+ years) that really are only leisure flyers. AAdvantage was started as a loyalty reward program and some of us have remained loyal for a long time without being able to accumulate status. We used to have the hope of Lifetime Gold as long as we flew on some flights and kept using the AAdvantage Credit Cards, but with the change last year, we are now out of luck. Some of us still hate Southwest and really like the aadvantages of the AAdvantage Program, but we know that Status is still a pipe dream.

So my question would simply be. Is/Will there be anything for long time loyalty for leisure travelers based on years of loyalty or something similar???

22. monster
    Original Member

monster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually have several questions:

1. What is the real reason behind banning AwardWallet from transmitting our AAdvantage credentials? Is there any chance that it will be allowed in the future?

To say it's a matter of security just doesn't make any sense especially when they (AwardWallet) came up with a rather elegant solution to allow us to store the credentials on our own machine and not on their servers, and to transmit those credential directly from our machines to your servers.

I use a password manager that stores all of my credentials in the cloud. I also back up this information separately to the cloud. Are these things against your rules as well?

If the real purpose of the ban is to drive your members to log into your web site directly for marketing reasons, I can respect that even though I disagree with it. But to make up bogus security excuses that no one believes just destroys all credibility (ask any MPer's opinion of the TSA if you don't believe me).

2. Why are the usual co-terminals not recognized for changes on award tickets?

I had a situation where the first leg of an award was LGA-DFW, but I had to go 2 days earlier than I wanted to. Eventually, space opened up on an EWR-DFW flight on the exact day I wanted, but I could not change the flight without incurring a $150 change fee.

I believe that changes to intermediate points of an award itinerary are allowed without any change fee (as long as the carrier remains the same). How about extending that to the endpoints as well as long as they are co-terminals?

3. What's up with the somewhat secret "published fare of the over water carrier" restriction on awards?

I've run into this twice now on different awards where what should have been a single award was priced as two awards because the over water carrier did not publish a fare between my origin and destination. In both cases, I was eventually able to find carriers and routes that did not violate the rule, but it is really annoying to be told you have to cough up more miles than you were expecting to pay.

As far as I know, no other program imposes this kind of restriction. How about getting rid of it?

Thank you.

Matt555555 and swag like this.
  23. Pucnit

Pucnit Active Member

Status Points:
    Question #1:

When you log into your account on AA.com and go to the "Aadvantage Account" tab. At the bottom you see your Mileage Activity. Could we add a option to just display Elite Qualifying Miles? As not all Million Miler Miles are EQM. (Citi Exec Card, etc)

Question #2:

Until Aadvantage members are able to see more award availability on our member carriers and search for it online. Could we have an award trip calculator? It doesn't have to show availability but showing the number of miles required and validating against the program rules ("published fares") would help us research before calling into Aadvantage CS.

Question #3:

What is the Aadvantage program number one Big Hairy Audacious Goal for the next year to eighteen months?

swag likes this.
  24. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Ms. Rubin,

I have 4 questions---

Question 1:
    As sel has touched upon...

There have been many issues with many consumers having customer service issues with the AAdvantage EShopping website, with current operator Cartera Commerce [formerly Vesdia] having such problems as Cartera not properly awarding miles for bonafide purchases, and having to wait weeks or months to hear back from Cartera when contacting them. To be blunt: since Cartera took over the AAdvantage EShopping site, it's been bad. Really bad.

Is there any chance with number of complaints AAdvantage has received about the current operator of the site, Cartera, that AAdvantage would consider a different operator of the AAdvantage Eshopping site such as the previous operator of the site DBG, or a different, new operator?

Personal commentary: I have nothing but good things to say about DBG-- the former operator of the AAdvantage EShopping site, and use them on Marriott Rewards' Shopping site because of previous great experiences when they operated the AAdvantage Eshopping site; because of snafu's with Cartera, I've switched a lot of my online shopping over to DBG-run Marriott Rewards Shopping site.

Question 2:
    I've had problems with the ability to change an award due to CSR's telling me that an award is has a "married segment" and the only way to change an AAdvantage award with married segments is if inventory opens up for the ENTIRE journey. Is there a way that AA.com could put a disclosure about married segments or have phone CSR's disclose that an award has a married segment, versus booking an award that has a married segment without the knowledge of the segments being married until after the award is issued?

Question 3:
    Is there any chance that American Eagle will consider installing GoGo inflight wi-fi on its ERJ's and CR7's? If so, when will we see this happen?

Question 4:
    Would AAdvantage be open to the idea of being able to redeem AAdvantage miles on ALL JetBlue routes/flights? If so, when would we see such an option?

Thanks for considering answering any or more than 1 of my questions!

25. cova

cova Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nice seeing partner reward inventory - but most here will not redeem a BA reward because of the high fees. What about an option to turn on / turn off BA inventory so one is not disappointed when looking for European rewards?

Also - looking forward to see the QF inventory on line - any date for it?

daemon14 and Matt555555 like this.