Questions for a live chat with Kip Hawley, former TSA Administrator

Discussion in 'A Conversation With...' started by milepoint, Apr 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milepoint

milepoint Admin

Status Points:
    We are thrilled to announce another guest in our "A Conversation with ..." live chat series, featuring some of the most prominent leaders in the travel industry.

Join us and our special guest Kip Hawley, former TSA Administrator and co-author of a recently published book titled, "Permanent Emergency - Inside the TSA and the Fight for the Future of American Security", on Wednesday, May 9 at 7 p.m. MDT for this live Milepoint chat event.

You are invited to pre-submit questions in this thread. While we can't guarantee all of the questions posted in this thread will be asked during the event, pre-submitting a question presents an additional opportunity to get your question heard.

To avoid duplication and maintain the readability of this thread, posts will not be displayed until approved by a Milepoint administrator. Please limit your posts to questions only, as general comments will not be approved.

For more information regarding this event and to signup for an email alert when the chat is about to begin visit:

http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/events/

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thoughts on a timetable when the current liquids ban may be relaxed?

3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    What motivated you to write your new book?

Your thought of ending airport baggage fees to inhibit the volume of carry-on items is a good one.
    Does the TSA have any voice with the airlines on such a matter?

4. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    You made a lot of noise with the quotes from the new book. What we want to know is: Where were you when you actually had a chance to implement some of this as head of the TSA?

What is it with the reactionary attitude when there's an incident as with the shoe bomber?

bonnerbl and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  5. crammer

crammer Active Member

Status Points:
    While in your role as TSA administrator, did you at any time perform a cost analysis of airport screening?

Included in such a cost analysis would be the more obvious costs such as labor, acquisition of screening equipment, maintenance of such equipment, etc., as well as indirect costs such as the value of passengers' time. If so, what is the cost of airport screening per annum?

If not, why not, and why wasn't doing a cost-benefit analysis of airport security [of which a cost estimate would seem to be an important factor] a priority for the TSA as an organization?

6. Rus925

Rus925 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What are your thoughts on the new TSA Precheck system? Do you think it will be expanded beyond elite frequent flyers and CBP cardholders, and if so, what do you think that expansion will look like?

Also, are people inside TSA complaining about the security measures at all? What's morale like? I can't imagine the average TSO enjoys performing the enhanced pat-down a whole lot more than the travelers enjoy receiving it.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    How can you blame checked bag fees for congestion at the checkpoint when (1) checkpoints were congested before those fees, and (2) pre-9/11 passengers were permitted to bring 2 carryons onboard aircraft in addition to a personal item, that's been cut in half precisely to accomodate security screening?

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Having taken my Freedom Baggie out of my carryon just twice in the past four years, can we acknowledge that the War on Water has ended, and that it was silly to begin with? ;)

FriendlySkies likes this.
  9. magicwine

magicwine Active Member

Status Points:
    I just planned a trip of a lifetime. NYC to UK, UK to Morocco, Morocco to Turkey, possibly Turkey to Israel, then home (US) via UK. Gone for about 30 days. Leaving early this coming week.

With the recent announcement of a bomb that was thwarted, and that it might not be able to be detected by security; and the fact that I am travelling close to trouble spots; I am concerned about my current risk.

Do you have any information on how likely and where potential bomb threats are at the most risk to occur?

Is it correct that this new bomb can't be detected by security?

10. Liucoke

Liucoke Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a bit skeptical about these "conversions" by people who only discover that their policies were disastrous once they have a book to promote and aren't responsible for fixing anything. That said, I'll be tuning in to see what Mr. Hawley has to say - maybe it'll inform future policies. So here's my question:

What sort of analysis was done for dollars spent to lives saved by the TSA? It feels like given the massive expense both in capital and lost productivity, there could have been significantly better investments in things like FDA inspectors, clean air standards, preventive health care, or a hundred other ways to keep people alive. I'd like to see what kind of insight Mr. Hawley has into the mentality the past decade that the remote chance of death by terrorism is so bad that it diverted funding away from preventing far more likely (if less sensational) causes of death.

Rus925 likes this.
  11. zshanlon

zshanlon Silver Member

Status Points:
    What is your view on the expanding role of VIPR teams outside the airport? There is quite a stir among some who say this is a vast expansion of TSA's authority and that they are working beyond their legal limits.

12. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Post 9-11, there was a lot of emphasis on the necessity for all screeners to be government employees. Yet there is much evidence that hiring mistakes have been made and that many current screeners do not appear to be well qualified, even though TSA attempts to identify them as "officers." Should airport security be privatized? In fact, should airlines be responsible for their own security (at least at hubs and large airports) subject to federal oversight, so that passengers can self-select to carriers with effective but customer-friendly security and so that there can be a genuine channel for resolving complaints from passengers?

13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    To follow up on the earlier cost-benefit question, why wasn't something like PreCheck started much earlier? In fact, did TSA ever consider acceptable profiling methods (not based on racial discrimination, etc.) that could greatly improve security for the same cost?

On the other hand, when the policy was that everyone needed to be screened equally, why not be consistent and screen cargo, airport workers, and TSA employees too instead of leaving gaping holes while engaging in security theater for the general public?