Questions for a live chat with Jeff Zidell, Vice President - Hyatt Gold Passport

Discussion in 'A Conversation With...' started by milepoint, Oct 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. milepoint

milepoint Admin

Status Points:
    We are thrilled to announce the next in our "A Conversation with ..." live chat series event, featuring one of the most prominent leaders in the travel industry.

Join us and our special guest Jeff Zidell, Vice President of the Hyatt Gold Passport Loyalty Program, on Wednesday, November 9 at 7 p.m. MDT for the live milepoint chat event.

You are invited to pre-submit questions in this thread. While we can't guarantee all of the questions posted in this thread will be asked during the event, pre-submitting a question presents an additional opportunity to get your question heard.

To avoid duplication and maintain the readability of this thread, posts will not be displayed until approved by a milepoint administrator. Please limit your posts to questions only, as general comments will not be approved.

For more information regarding this event and to signup for an email alert when the chat is about to begin visit: http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/a_conversation_with_hyatt_gold_passport_110911/

uggboy likes this.
  2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Hyatt program overall, but a few things happen that make me think it could be much better.

I'm at the GH Seoul as I type this, and I have no idea what benefits as I diamond I have here. So many properties give you a nice welcome letter, listing all the benefits. No letter here.

Why can't all mid level or higher properties do this?

Additional questions:

Late checkout not being offered? I have a late flight tonight, so asked for a late checkout, and was told 3pm was the latest I could get. Why didn't they offer the 4pm guaranteed late checkout?

Why do I have to remind international properties about the diamond amenity? Nothing here in Seoul. After breakfast, I asked the hostess about it, and more than an hour later, still nothing. Disappointing.

uggboy likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the deal with the promised (I believe) replacement for Gx bonuses?

4. mmgm

mmgm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is there any chance of increased benefits for 75 or 100 nights a year? What about benefits for each million total GP points in addition to lifetime Diamond status?

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    And one more important one.

When will FFN come back? It's a very valuable promotion to me, and not having it will mean, I won't have enough of an incentive to keep top status at Hyatt.

Camino Cielo, IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  6. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Several questions...

Starwood pioneered Cash & Points award to stretch points further. They're capacity controlled and the economics for the hotels work out the same as accepting points (when hotels aren't sold out). Recently Priority Club introduced a cash and points option (that amounts to discounted points purchase, always available) and so did Hilton HHonors. Will Hyatt Gold Passport introduce something similar, and if so when can we expect to see it?

"Passport Escapes" awards are great for non-status members especially redeeming for resort stays, for incrementally more points you get breakfast daily and some of your dinners included. Diamond members get breakfast anyway. Should they receive something substituted for breakfast as part of this award package?

Confirmed suite upgrades are a fantastic benefit. Thank you for introducing them. Gold Passport remains the only program with this option. Is there any way that you would consider making them usable for one designated person in addition to the member? E.g. my wife doesn't have status on her own, but I'd rather give her a nice room the couple times a year when she travels than have the nice room myself. I recognize issues of breakage, and that you don't want to create a secondary market in these upgrades, but the extension of the benefit could be strictly limited by having a member designate a single eligible person with their account, changing that person perhaps no more often than once a year...

It was exciting to see Hyatt issue a co-branded credit card a year ago. And it was nice to see the introduction of an annual reward night included with the card, so you don't just get the signup bonus nights (I wish it wasn't limited to a category 4 room...). But other programs with credit card partners generally allow spending to help members achieve status. Starwood gives nights/stays towards status just for having the card (these help achieve Platinum in their program, not just Gold). Hilton HHonors lets you achieve their top tier via spend alone. Marriott Rewards gives out night credits based on spend. Will Hyatt consider letting members earn nights towards status to incentivize spend on the card?

Thank you for working on the late checkout benefits for elite members. I've had really good experiences with it, it's generally being proactived offered to me at check-in. But when members are told by a hotel that it isn't available, even though it's a published benefit of the program, is there any recourse that they have? Or are there any penalties in place for hotel non-compliance?

Are there plans for any new venues ithrough which to earn points... e.g. online shopping portal, Rewards Network dining relationship, rental car partners? Great opportunities to extend the brand, bring Hyatt into more aspects of member lives, engage members. And you could run some really big bonuses to highlight the new offerings. :D

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    There's been lots of discussion of replacing White Ginger with bath amenities that aren't awful. ;) Any update on this, and when we might expect the rollout of new amenities?

8. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    My question is: Why does Gold Passport allow an individual hotel to deny point and stay credit for a stay that was booked on Hyatt.com, as happened to me earlier this year?

Gold Passport reps stated on this and other fora that the rate was ineligible because the hotel had deemed that "the rate was not publically available". Well, the rate WAS available to ANY member of the public who used the necessary code from a lifestyle website that does not require membership. In contrast, Hyatt hotels routinely grant point and stay credit for AAA and Costco rates - rates that require membership in the sponsoring organization, and which non-affiliated members of the public are NOT eligible to use.

Hyatt has in the past stayed away from nit-picky "gotcha" rules interpetations to deny Gold Passport members stay and point credits. It is sad to see Gold Passport Hyatt allowing individual properties to make up rules as they go along. Is there any interest from Gold Passport management in setting a clearly understandable benchmark by which a Gold Passport member can be assured that a stay booked on hyatt.com will earn points and a stay credit?

9. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are there any plans to give 'stay' credit for award stays (on points) towards status qualification, as other chains (like SPG) are now doing?

Seacarl, Explore, gleff and 4 others like this.
  10. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am a newbie to the Hyatt family -- I come from the Priority Club/IHG world. One thing I am quite suprised at is, in the world of points being available from a million different sources, that there are not many (any?) alternate ways to accrue Hyatt points than by either staying at hotels, or using the Hyatt credit card (or, now there's the additional option of Chase Ultimate Rewards too that can get converted to Hyatt points).

Also, I don't see lots of ways to get "bonus" points with Hyatt, so it seems out of all the major hotel reward programs the one that is is 'hardest'/slowest to accrue points with. I find this disappointing and frustrating.

Is the plan to keep it so insular and difficult to accrue points? Or is Hyatt planning on rolling out alternate methods, additional bonus options, etc.? Can you shed any light on these plans?

Explore and uggboy like this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here are a few questions from us:

1.) When will Hyatt expand in Europe incl. all major cities?

2.) When will Hyatt expand their Hyatt House // Hyatt Place brands in Europe?

3.) When will Andaz begin to be a great additon to the Hyatt portfolio of brands?

4.) When will Hyatt roll out better promotions in the future?

5.) When can we expect a certain consistency again with Hyatt eg. service and recognition?

6.) Will there be another tier between Platinum and Diamond? We think the gap is way too big [ especially when living in Europe with very limited Hyatt choices right now ] and let's us feel that's there is something missing in-between eg. Gold after 14 or 15 stays! Any plans to fill that very important gap @ Hyatt?

gleff and TheBeerHunter like this.
  12. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    To add on to Gary's question about the Hyatt Visa, I'd also like to ask if there are any plans to add a 2x point multiplier for spending in certain categories. With 1x and 3x points options already in place, adding a 2x option for spending in certain categories like gas, dining, etc. could also provide some incentive to use the card more often.

Explore, uggboy, gleff and 2 others like this.
  13. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would also like to ask about a cash & point redemption option. I'm finding that I get much better value from my Starwood points and that they go further when I am able to redeem them via cash & points awards, and that one vacation doesn't drain my entire 6 figure account. On the other hand, I had to use 66k GP points for just 3 nights at the GH HKG and that was more than half of my points. Since there are no G bonuses anymore (where is the replacement, BTW?) GP points are much harder to earn these days. (sure, we got a little more for using the credit card when we can for personal stays, but many people have to use corp credit cards for business stays.)

Basically, for this vacation that I'm currently planning, I'm finding that I'm getting much better overall value with my SPG points, and I'm not depleting my account when I am able to find c&p awards availability at spg properties.

Please consider a decent c&p option. And let us know what you have in mind to replace the G bonuses.

-David

Explore, uggboy, gleff and 2 others like this.
  14. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have these same two questions that gleff posted.

If you had other ways to earn points besides what is currently in place, I would be much more likely to stay at Hyatt.

Also, I find the Portico White Ginger Bath Collection to have a very offensive scent. I dread having to use it when I visit a Hyatt.

15. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Is Hyatt going ahead with the "Hyatt House" name, even though all Hyatts were called this at one time, and the brand represented all (very different) that Hyatt invested in it at the time? Gen X and after won't remember, but boomers and older will.

2) Is Gold Passport considering the problematic consequences of even further exaggerating the distortion of the program with enhancements to the earning power of the credit card? Here is one million-point Diamond client who is most concerned about how the card already has changed the program, materially, if not officially. I suggest that there is a "willy nilly" aspect to the co-founder's recommendations @6 above, without a thorough consideration of the impact on people who just stay at Hyatts all the time. (And I have agreed with virtually all his positions in the past.) All innovation - i.e., the many suggested ways of earning, and spousal benefits a la the new UACO Mileage Plus - isn't always good. (Of course, much is.) There are other sages who have expressed similar big worries.

3) Did you get in trouble for the most generous promotions you introduced when you took over? This is, of course, meant to ask what others have, in a humorous way. And thank you again for those wonderful promotions!

Thank you very much for this opportunity.

jumpdogjump likes this.
  16. oc2005

oc2005 Active Member

Status Points:
    It's been about 16 months since the last "Faster Free Night" style promotion earning period ended, the longest stretch of time for Hyatt Gold Passport to not have that type of promotion in the last 10 years (the second longest previous stretch was approximately 11 months in 2005).

Additionally, during the last year, the equally long standing property specific bonuses (the "G" bonuses) have also been removed from Hyatt Gold Passport without any replacement.

Will Hyatt Gold Passport continue to be as generous a program going forward as it has been the last 10 years? In particular, will "Faster Free Night" style promotions continue to be a regular part of the program and will there be a permanent replacement to the "G" bonuses?

uggboy likes this.
  17. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for this opportunity - a lot of what I had in mind (C&P, expansion, portico) has been covered by previous posters. I wanted to thank you for starting the Private Line agent program for Diamond members - my agent is incredibly efficient and is superb at her job.

Is there any way of officially recognizing her, or any other Hyatt employees who deliver superior customer service? SPG came up with Platinum Thank you Certificates which received a somewhat lukewarm reception from members on forums, but which employees seem to value. Does Hyatt have any such plans in the works?

uggboy, gleff, kenbo and 1 other person like this.
  18. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is a discussion going on in the Hyatt forum about the dedicated Platinum/Diamond elite check-in line. The glass sign is considered by many to be too small to notice and the general check-in line often forms there. This makes it hard for Platinum/Diamond guests to take advantage of the expedited check-in benefit. From some of the feedback in that thread, the only options are to either say nothing and wait in line, or try to get the front desk agents to begin enforcing the benefit. The latter often produces dirty looks from other guests.

The Hyatt Regency SFO has done a nice job implementing this benefit. The Platinum/Diamond check-in line is clearly marked with a big sign and it's roped off at the opposite end of the counter. This clearly distinguishes the elite check-in line and also prevents the possibility of a general line forming there. Could a similar (or improved) setup be implemented across the board?

19. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I have two award stays in the coming months where the bookings were non-refundable: the Park Hyatt Maldives and the Hyatt 48 Lex. Is this permissable under Gold Passport rules? And if there's an exception made which I could understand for a unique property like the Maldives where there are traditionally heavy cancellation penalties, how would such an exception apply to a city hotel in New York which is offering plenty of fully cancellable Hyatt Daily Rate rooms? What's Gold Passport's approach here, and should we be concerned to see more non-refundable rewards in the future?

20. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would like to center in on the Hyatt website. While it’s certainly become speedier than it was in the past, there are still glitches. The most egregious of them, to me, is that my stays and nights frequently never post, and I have to ring up to get them posted, sometimes with a bit of arguing. This happens astronomically more frequently with Hyatt than with SPG or Hilton for me that’s it’s, obviously, become a very sore point. Is this a problem on the hotel end or Hyatt central? Why is it that stays at some pretty remote places I’ve stayed at with SPG or Hilton come through without issue and even a domestic Hyatt stay doesn’t post? How is it that, among a group staying at the same hotel at the same rate, the stay will post for some but not all?

I am also in line with the questions above.

kenbo likes this.
  21. Hello, when I make a reservation I have to enter my AAA card number and credit card number for each one. Can this information be stored in my profile, like HH? Thanks,

IMGone, Quasiconvexity and kenbo like this.
  22. I recently stayed at a Hyatt resort with a colleauge who had the room in her name and was paying with her corporate credit card. I was registered to the room but the hotel required me to pay using my own personal credit card in order to get the points on my Hyatt Gold Passport account. This proved very inconvenient for us and seemed unnecessary control. I was the only one getting points for the stay. Why was it necessary to charge this to my personal credit card?

traveltoomuch likes this.
  23. I have documentation to support past stays that date back to 2005 and the records to support these stays are available in the Hyatt computer system. I was told when I registered for the program that I could get credit for these prior stays. When I called to request the points for these I was told that we could not go beyond one year. The staff was friendly but informed me that the system would not allow them to include my points. Is there a way to get credit for these stays. If so, how can I do that. If not, why would you not allow this with proper documentation?

traveltoomuch likes this.
  24. 1) Reservation email confirmations - would it be possible to have an option to print ONLY the Reservation Details (without graphics, photos, etc). Whenever I print a Hyatt confirmation, it's 3 pages - how about a single page confirmation to save some trees. Or better yet, provide option to download reservation details to outlook.

2) Finding "MY" Hyatt programs - is there ONE place on Hyatt.com I can find ALL programs/promotions for which I am uniquely eligible? I learned a few new things reading the comments posted here, namely a) Annual Free night with Hyatt Credit Card and b) Private Line Agent Program.

Thanks for listening!

theskyflyer, tommy777 and kenbo like this.
  25. Please clarify the time of the November 9, call-in. DST in the USA ends on November 6.