Questions for a live chat with Jeff Zidell (Hyatt) & Scott Voeller (MGM)

Discussion in 'A Conversation With...' started by milepoint, Jul 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. milepoint

milepoint Admin

Status Points:
    We are thrilled to announce another guest in our "A Conversation with ..." live chat series, featuring some of the most prominent leaders in the travel industry.

Join us and our special guests Jeff Zidell (Senior Vice President, Hyatt Gold Passport) & Scott Voeller (Senior Vice President of Brand Strategy and Advertising, MGM Resorts International), on Tuesday, August 20 at 7 p.m. MDT for this live Milepoint chat event.

You are invited to pre-submit questions in this thread. While we can't guarantee all of the questions posted in this thread will be asked during the event, pre-submitting a question presents an additional opportunity to get your question heard.

To avoid duplication and maintain the readability of this thread, posts will not be displayed until approved by a Milepoint administrator. Please limit your posts to questions only, as general comments will not be approved.

For more information regarding this event and to signup for an email alert when the chat is about to begin visit:

http://milepoint.com/forums/pages/events/

Suzuhlcheng, Camino Cielo and Kalboz like this.
  2. gomike
    Original Member

gomike Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can you offer us any good news regarding allowing award stays to count toward stay credit.

3. uadlflyer

uadlflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would like to know how the status match will work in subsequent years. I am Hyatt DM now and in August 2013 I will be matched to mlife Plat. If I qualify for Hyatt DM again for 2014, would I be matched again to mlife plat in 2014? When exactly, would it be automatic?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. kubiedoo

kubiedoo New Member

Status Points:
    Hey Guys, 2 questions:

I recently booked a stay at The Hotel at Mandalay Bay...prices were different on the Hyatt and The Hotel websites ($20 cheaper on the The Hotel website), as were things like the resort fee ($25 on Hyatt vs $28 on The Hotel). When booking through the The Hotel website, I wasn't able to enter my Hyatt information fearing that I may not get credit unless I push for it at check-in. It is also my understanding that I won't receive any benefits as a Diamond member no matter how I book. Question -- is the goal to make the cost and experience of the stay the same no matter which site I use to book? Will I soon be able to leverage this relationship for MGM status or additional benefits on site? Or is this strictly a points earning/redeeming relationship?

2nd question, to Mr. Zidell -- other hotel loyalty programs (Starwood, e.g.) allow me to earn stays on award redemptions. Is there any possibility that this is something that Hyatt can or will incorporate? As someone who has been a loyal SPG Platinum member for years and is trying to push my business to Hyatt, this is one of my toughest sticking points. If my points stays counted for credit (or even as half a stay) it would be much more likely that I push for Hyatt Diamond in future years.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Is Hyatt contemplating any changes to their Lifetime Diamond status program?

Kalboz likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will Hyatt fill the gap between Platinum and Diamond and is there a future devaluation ahead for GP members?

Also off topic, here on Milepoint we have a thread discussing the rumored Park Hyatt Montego Bay in Jamaica, but there aren't any other info officially from Hyatt about this, could Mr. Zidell elaborate on Hyatt does indeed take over the management of the former Ritz Carlton Montego Bay and will it be a Park Hyatt when it reopens after planned renovations, as is the rumor right now?

Kalboz likes this.
  7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does M-Life keep track of those Platinum members awarded a status match versus those that earn it by earning Tier points, and what is the difference in benefits between them? If it's not evident, I'm talking about unpublished benefits.

-David

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since MLife touts the myVegas Facebook App on its site [which I love, by the way], is it possible that new redemptions for the myVegas App could include redemption options in the future such as real Freeplay at your Vegas Properties or Express Rewards at your Vegas properties? [in addition to the current rewards]

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do either of you see a revenue qualifying requirement coming to your respective loyalty programs, similar to what several US-based airlines are doing?

10. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an outstanding venture. Do you still see this spreading to other properties in the MLife family? There seemed to be hints of this at the outset. Is expansion hanging in the balance, awaiting you seeing how this goes, or is it definitely part of a future phase? Thank you. And Bravo.

Kalboz likes this.
  11. J Zidell VP Hyatt

J Zidell VP Hyatt Official Representative

Status Points:
    Dear Milepoint members,

Thank you all for your support of our new relationship with M life, the rewards program of MGM Resorts International. I just wanted to say that I’m looking forward to “getting in on the action” on August 20 and having the opportunity to speak with all of you. Keep sending in those questions and Viva Las Vegas!

Until then,

Jeff Zidell
    Senior Vice President
    Hyatt Gold Passport

Carlee, Camino Cielo, rtl1849 and 2 others like this.
  12. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jeff,

I love to stay in Hyatt's, especially in Asia. I just love the service, and the value is usually great, especially as a Diamond member.

I had some recent stays at the Hyatt Regency in Bandung, Indonesia. I've stayed here a number of times, and been pretty happy. A few service slips had me wondering about this particular property.

I wasn't offered the best available non-suite room, only one newspaper out of three different stays, breakfast was totally chaotic with many food items missing, and never refreshed on one day. And their key card system seems to on its last legs. I had three staff members doing magic tricks trying to get the card to work.

As this is a bit of a mature property, when does a face lift get imposed?

Finally, and to top it off, after the stays posted, each was listed as non-qualifying, with only the Diamond amenity and a handful of points. When I called up the GP line, the supervisor said it was a promotional rate. I've booked hundreds of nights with Hyatt, and never had a publicly displayed rate, not credit. It was less than $10 less than the Hyatt Daily Rate. No notice that I saw that it would not garner stay credit or standard points.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    In preparation for this venture I signed up for an mlife number online. The mlife member page allows booking at a nice discount. Are these stays booked via mlife going to earn points and stay credit?

Currently mlife requires you to arrive in Las Vegas and get status matched manually. Is there any way we will be able to have it automatically matched? Either to Royal Caribbean or Hyatt ahead of time? And as a follow up, what of going forward? Do I have to arrive in Vegas every year within your calendar to have it matched again or will it become automatic (Royal Caribbean status is lifetime after all)

garyst16 and Kalboz like this.
  14. palmerlaw

palmerlaw Active Member

Status Points:
    Mr. Voeller - Can you confirm whether MGM will be losing THEhotel property once the transition (remodel) to the Morgans Hotel Group's The Delano is finalized? Can we expect changes this winter or spring?

canucklehead and Kalboz like this.
  15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Q: Will there be any cool giveaways Tuesday night during the chat?

A: ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  16. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is Hyatt looking at a cash and points program for award redemptions? Would sure be nice to stretch my points some with a copay and a lesser amount of points per hotel night, particularly at higher category hotels.

canucklehead, Camino Cielo and Kalboz like this.
  17. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    In addition to no cash + points mentioned above, Hyatt does not offer discount for multiple award nights, and no award savers, as some other programs do. Any anticipated enhancements on this front?

Camino Cielo likes this.
  18. Price123

Price123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Recently, Hyatt have said that they are no longer willing to support events with small one-off promotions. Surely, if members of MP and other similar forums are loyal enough to Hyatt to want to promote the brand, Hyatt should show some loyalty back to members?

Many European members would appreciate an official rather than unofficial spend threshold for diamond status - any plans for this?

Thinking of organising a DO in Las Vegas and Hawaii in 2014/2015 to showcase MGM and Hyatt. Perhaps there could be a great tiered promotion to go with this...

Camino Cielo and Kalboz like this.
  19. seanchang

seanchang Member

Status Points:
    Will MGM MLife Platinum and Noir members also get reciprocal benefits to Hyatt Hotels and Resorts?

Tenmoc likes this.
  20. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know it has been mentioned in the past, but any status update on getting something like cash and points options or award stays counting toward elite status?

IDGflygirl, Tenmoc and canucklehead like this.
  21. Jetblue1

Jetblue1 New Member

Status Points:
    Love the partnership between MLife and Hyatt. Question for Jeff - Is Hyatt looking at other Life Style Reward options similar to SPG-Moments?

Tenmoc and canucklehead like this.
  22. Camino Cielo

Camino Cielo Silver Member

Status Points:

Agree. I was anxious about this at first, and against it, because of the possibility that the amount of cash and the number of points will vary from date to date, as in some programs. But it certainly does open another channel for me to give Hyatt revenue and to spend my points which appeals to me. I find myself doing this with other hotel companies. One request to add to Tom's: Please count the cash and points stays as official stays with all the implications. Thank you. And I'll understand if Mr. Peterson wants to keep the discussion just to the partnership, and not to go into these other areas. Thanks again.

Tenmoc likes this.
  23. iflyjetzzz

iflyjetzzz Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm extremely happy to that this partnership has been formed; it completely changes our Las Vegas hotel and gambling preferences.

Mr Voeller: I noticed that most hotel rates dropped or stayed the same on Mlife.com when I upgraded from Sapphire to Platinum. However, the Luxor price increased - is this a glitch or intentional? ... my wife and I will be staying at Bellagio, Vdara, Aria, and Mandalay Bay this fall; we're very excited about the trip.

Mr. Zidell: I am a Hyatt Diamond and Starwood Platinum. I have lifetime gold with Starwood and Marriott but haven't stayed with Marriott more than 10 times over the last two years due to Hyatt and Starwood being much better experiences for the money. I would love to be able to achieve lifetime Diamond with Hyatt but I don't see it possible for me to hit 1 million base points with Hyatt - have you looked at easing the lifetime status criteria? From my lounge experiences, Hyatt has much fewer elites with lounge access than Starwood, Marriott, and Hilton.

rtl1849 likes this.
  24. rtl1849

rtl1849 Active Member

Status Points:
    I have been loyal Diamond member since 2008. Some USA Hyatt hotels do not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act's (ADA) requirements like ringing telephones, knocking at doors or ringing doorbells and visual notification devices. It's very frustrating against people with disabilities is only the law like myself. Is there something that can be done to expedite bringing the development and implementation of the ADA law?​

2nd Question:​
    Why is Hyatt public Internet access and Wi-Fi so terrible at large hotels? Sometimes it's the DHCP server running out of addresses. Sometimes the backhaul is clearly inadequate. Sometimes there's one router for a ballroom with 2000 people. But it's always SOMETHING. It never works. I had been complained with Hyatt general manager, but nothing was solved.​

25. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to follow-up on this as I'll be in Las Vegas starting on Sunday and need to book hotels still. If I book on the MLife web site, which does seem to offer some lower promotional rates to MLife Platinums, will I get Hyatt stay credit just by presenting my Hyatt card at check-in? Is there any advantage/disadvantage in booking on one web site versus the other?