Questions: Booking AA with Avios

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by penumpang, Feb 12, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    When we signed up for the Chase deal, we were hoping to use the BA miles to go to Asia. However, with the much devalued Avios, it doesn't seem worth it anymore. So, we will burn the 200K+ points mostly for domestic US and Canada flights. I tried to book 2 tickets CMH-LGA-YUL and YYZ-LGA-CMH.

I'm not familiar with BA at all. Here are my questions:
    1. The CMH-LGA-YUL looks good to me, with 9000 points + $5 each. However, the YYZ-LGA-CMH, it askd for 9000 points + $57.25. Is that right? I don't understand why there is such a big difference.
    2. BA.com only shows 1 YYZ-LGA-CMH option, but AA shows a few. On BA.com, when I tried to book YYZ-LGA and LGA-CMH separately, more options showed up. So, I assume those flights are bookable even though you can only do it separately, not together. In case of irregular ops, I would prefer to have it all in one ticket... if I call BA to put the flights together, will they charge a fee for something that BA.com can't do?

Thanks for your help.

2. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    1. Fees taxes vary by route and direction, sometimes by quite a margin. Haven't investigated, but looks like there are additional fees/charges ex-YYZ.

2. You will have to ring BA for alternative choices. Usually there will be a fee, but in your case you may be able to persuade them to waive it as what you are tring to do should be possible on ba.com.

penumpang likes this.
  3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you can meet the $30,000 annual spend, the 2-4-1 tickets in Business Class can stil be a good deal to Asia on BA metal. Worth checking out.

We found, for example, that Business Class NY to HKG is 110,000 miles on Cathay thru AA while it is 200,000 on BA. But with the 2-4-1, BA is still ahead of the deal (except for fees). Not as good as it was before but if you really want to go to Asia, might be worth checking into this.

penumpang likes this.
  4. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I checked ex-YUL as well. The fees are about the same. I'm assuming it's probably the case for many ex-Canada flights.

5. jetsetr
    Original Member

jetsetr Gold Member

Status Points:
    IIRC, the 2-4-1s are only good for travel originating in the US, and further, that the NYC-LHR and LHR-HKG would be considered two separate awards. Happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty sure you are mistaken. I've already done a 2-4-1 to Israel (NYC-LHR-TLV and return). The only restriction that I know of is that it has to be on BA metal. So Bon Voyage!

7. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Travel must originate in the US and must be on BA metal. However as Steven says, you can do NYC-LHR-XXX as long as it's as one booking (stopovers allowed).