Questions: award validity period, and changes after travel commences

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Apr 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just want to confirm some questions. Never had to deal with these issues before but may run into them this time.

From the rules:
    "Award tickets are valid one year from original date of issue. All travel must be completed within one year from date of issue."

Suppose I book an open jaw, SFO-BKK-SFO(stopover)-NYC. Basically, a free one-way to NYC for a future date, which is uncertain and is likely to change. Questions:

1) can I change the date of the SFO-NYC segment after I get back to SFO (i.e., during the stopover)
    2) if I make the original booking on 4/24/2012, does this meant that I must fly the SFO-NYC segment by 4/23/2013, without any way to extend this period? Therefore, there is real advantage to redeeming closer to departure, for more flexibility, all else being equal?

Thanks!

2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    For your first question, I believe the answer is yes. You can certainly change the return once travel has begun, so I don't see why you couldnt change dates in the middle of a stop over. You probably will incur fees.

Second question I am not sure when the clock actually starts ticking, but I suspect it is from the date the ticket is issued. I could be wrong, but I am sure someone will chime in with a precise answer in 3, 2, 1....

3. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe it's from the date the award is issued, which may be a different date than when the ticket is issued.

4. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aren't these usually the same or very close? I thought that when I book an award, the miles get deducted (= award issued?) and the ticket is issued instantly or perhaps within 24 hours for some partners, but the two dates are very close together. Can you give an example when they would be different?

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes.
    Yes, assuming it tickets that day, which is generally the case.

Ygor likes this.
  6. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You book an award for a trip two months out. A month later, you cancel the flights, but do not refund/redeposit. That means the award is still valid for another ~11 months, not another 12.

7. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Right, so 12 months from the time of the original booking. Thanks.