questions about waitlisting award travel

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by karenkay, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    i'm trying to get my parents to AVL from IAH over christmas using my many UA miles. the exact dates i want are currently not available on ua.com with a saver award, although standard awards are available. two questions:

1. i know i can book a saver award for dates that are available and waitlist for the dates i want if it's me flying, but does it matter that i'm not one of the people traveling? can i waitlist for two other travelers?

2. does this work with *a inventory, or does it have to be UA metal? CO has a nonstop IAH-AVL, while if we stick to UA they'll have to go through ORD...always tricky in december, especially for non-frequent travelers.

thanks!

2. iceman77_7
    Original Member

iceman77_7 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone can waitlist for alternate dates on UA award flights. It might be a bit difficult with two passengers on the same PNR as they wouldn't clear unless two award seats open up.

IIRC, you cannot waitlist on any itinerary with a non-UA flight. However, I don't know if CO still qualifies as a non-UA flight.

3. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    i just checked...unfortunately, it does. thanks for the help, though!